Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

8 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I don't mean to see EC as a absolute authority. But with the poor marketing, unconfident review embargo and some reliable words from marketing staff that it looked like a comedy, I also believe Sony don't have much confidence in Venom.

Exactly. If it were JUST EC saying that the film is shit I could easily see it just being his opinion and move on but you combine that with all of the other little and big factors and yeah, I'm worried that the film isn't any good. What is being ignored is that there were other reliable people saying that Wonder Woman was good but we have literally NO early word for Venom one way or another. Maybe the studio will lift the social media embargo early? I don't know.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

I don't think that it's blasphemous but I've never see a good movie ruined by moments of suspect visual effects. I simply think that it's an overused complaint and that people believe that if you notice that something is CGI that means that it's bad. That being said, I haven't liked the Venom visual effects. I just have refrained from mentioning that because it's the least import issue to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

To be fair, Empire didn’t like Wonder Woman either, yet that film made $412M DOM & $821M WW, because everyone else thought the opposite. So we can’t really assume his opinions will absolutely reflect on what we will think about Venom & how much it will actually do.

I mean, did he like any of the biggest movies of this year?

Justice League :hahaha:

People still bring up Wonder Woman to try and discredit EC, I see? In his Wonder Woman post he specifically said that while he didn’t like it, people at his screening did and that it would make a shit ton of money. 

In this case, he’s saying the movie is shitty (didn’t mention people at his screening liking it) but then saying it will open decently and die off. And hey I believe it. Not because EC said so but because from the very beginning this movie has looked bad. The trailers have looked awful. The marketing has looked awful. The press screenings/embargo are so late. 

My personal opinion: if Sony wanted to make a good Venom movie, they should have went all out with it and made it Rated R. I’m sure that it would have been a better movie (I haven’t watched this version, I know but that’s how sure I am that had they gone all out with the character it would have been better) and it would have translated to better box office results. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

A Star is Born is not opening with 70mil. 40mil would be great. Calm down a little. If Venom gets bad reviews that WILL hurt it opening weekend. I'm still predicting 70-75mil right now. 

A Star Is Born will have a floor of $40M for its OW. The way it’s selling on Fandango is incredible. I could honestly see a scenario where it out opens this. If WOM travels fast and Venom dips under $60M, I could see A Star Is Born out opening it. Again this is based on how A Star Is Born is selling on Fandango and based on it most likely getting fantastic WOM. 

But these are all ifs. Think Venom does $65M and A Star is Born opens north of $50M. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

That happens with every movie now. Even Deadpool and Ghostbusters were embargoed that late before UK release.

Not every movie and  it happens when the movie opens O/S the same week as the U.S. and the studio doesn't want to lift the embargo early for the U.S.    The embargo lifting on a Wed/Thur for the U.S. is still out of the ordinary except  for studios like WB and even then if they think the reviews will be good they'll lift it earlier as with CRA (or earlier with festival play like ASIB).

Edited by TalismanRing