Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

3 hours ago, Alli said:

Is this Hardy's first big movie where he's billed as the lead?. i guess he wanted to test the waters..

If it's a hit, his career can change for the best

Others mentioned Fury Road which you forgot, which did well. 

But yeah it's interesting. As big of an actor and as one who is in a lot of good movies, he's been pretty cautious with movies that he was THE lead of. He was the lead in Locke which was great and did well enough for its budget, but that movie was super small and he was the only character in it. He did get marketed a solid amount for The Revenant but he obviously wasn't the protagonist there and that it great. Other successful movies like TDKR, Tinker Tailor, Inception, Dunkirk, This Means War (not good but financially did decent), Lawless, Warrior, saw him as big parts but had other bigger parts in them.

Child 44, which he was the lead in, didn't work out. The Drop was awesome and did ok and he was the lead in that. Legend was ok, did great in the UK at least, and he was awesome in it.

But other than those he hasn't thrown himself into being THE LEAD in big movies. And it's worked... You really got to admire his choices as an actor. His track record is impressive. Since 2008 (Bronson) up to current day (Dunkirk being his latest movie), he only has 2 rotten movies on RT (Child 44 and This Means War). The other like... 12 are all positive and well received. His ventures into TV with Peaky Blinders and Taboo also have been received well. So yeah, besides Mad Max, this is definitely his entry into being the lead in a major film, which is surprising because you'd always think about Tom Hardy being a leading man but he really hasn't done that that much up to this point. Venom is definitely the first test and I think and hope it will do well.

And then we'll get FONZO which should be great. Hopefully it'll get a good distributor

Edited by Pinacolada

I just don't know why there hasn't been more marketing. You would think Sony would be on top of things with this. 

Really thought this could be a somewhat smaller Suicide Squad. Now those 65/150 predictions don't seem that far off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I just don't know why there hasn't been more marketing. You would think Sony would be on top of things with this. 

Really thought this could be a somewhat smaller Suicide Squad. Now those 65/150 predictions don't seem that far off

Yes, the marketing is very poor...this reminds me of Tom Cruise and his Mummy last year...very similar situation

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

I get the feeling Sony isn't confident in it, I reckon it'll break the October record but I wouldn't be shocked if A Star is Born ends up making more money domestically

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I get the feeling Sony isn't confident in it, I reckon it'll break the October record but I wouldn't be shocked if A Star is Born ends up making more money domestically

Venom will make money everywhere so it doens't need to pass ASIB, while ASIB will make money mostly dom cause rest of the world doesn't care for country music. Bohemian Rhapsody should be much bigger hit OS cause Queen is popular everywhere.