Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

Is an approx 31-32M Friday really that disappointing? Bigger weekday numbers almost always mean smaller Friday jumps. And I'd say a 15.5M Thursday when the vast majority aren't off isn't small.

Saturday and Sunday will probably make up for this "pathetic" Friday bump. 

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

900m ww OW might happen in that case.

Think bigger! 

$641 million without China. A4 can improve on that by 10% I think. Then we'd only need $300 million OW from China and BOOM! $1 billion! :Venom:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

I was personally *hoping* for 128, even though I knew it was optimistic. This Friday puts us on track for ~120 though, which is still a crazy excellent 53.5% drop from last week’s 3.5 day weekend. 

58 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

This was performing like a huge event, not a huge sequel, before this fucking Friday number. 

Friday numbers must be seen through the lenses of a family movie too, with strong weekend days relative to friday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/nonopening.htm?page=Fri&adjust_yr=2018&p=.htm

True that adjusted it does look a bit low, 10 biggest second week friday adjusted.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/nonopening.htm?page=Fri&p=.htm

But in actual:

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $49,325,663 4,134 $11,932 12/25/15 8 $440.2 $936.7
2 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen P/DW $36,740,666 4,234 $8,678 6/26/09 3 $127.9 $402.1
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $34,394,152 4,134 $8,320 1/01/16 15 $686.4 $936.7
4 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $33,529,613 3,661 $9,159 5/20/05 2 $83.5 $380.3
5 Transformers: Dark of the Moon P/DW $32,988,883 4,088 $8,070 7/01/11 3 $97.8 $352.4
6 Spider-Man 2 Sony $32,452,342 4,152 $7,816 7/02/04 3 $96.7 $373.6
7 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire LGF $31,570,448 4,163 $7,584 11/29/13 8 $253.7 $424.7
8 Avengers: Infinity War

Only 2 movie every above it if it stay at $31,428,000 Force Awaken and Catching Fire, maybe just one when the real numbers will come in.

Jurassic World 29.11m look crazy good in comparison.... I imagine little money is made in the 400 theater black panther didn't had or around 200 Jurassic World didn't had, but still some.

56 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Spiderman Homecoming 2 in July is a problem. You cant have that before Avengers 4. If you shift Avengers 4 to December then you gotta shift SMH2 to 2020. Then you gotta further shift the MCU movies scheduled in 2020. I doubt Sony will agree to it. 

Plus i also doubt SW9 will be ready by May. A huge date change this late will mean they will have to rush a lot. And they have already moved it back from May 2019 to Dec 2019 as they needed more time. 

So yeah this plan no matter how good is just not feasible

42 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Love the idea personally, but it won’t happen. Might not even be possible to happen in the first place since I’m not sure IX could be ready to go in a year. Opposed to TA4 which is all in post already.

38 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Ep IX hasn't even started filming yet.  There is a 0% chance of it being ready by May next year.

Yeah, you guys are right, IX probably wouldn't be ready for a May '19 release date. MovieMan's idea of pushing it to May 2020 would be kewl by me as it gives the SW brand and name a much needed long breath of fresh air, but what would you have in May '19 if not either of these two films? Captain Marvel is perfectly fine in its current release date, apart from having to clash with Shazam. Aladdin would be the best option imo, with Artemis Fowl moving up to Memorial Day (if possible), and even then, it'd spend a month without the precious June weekdays that make family movies monster players during the Summer. Yeah, not very feasible. Shame though, because the idea of Avengers 4 in December really intrigues me, and I think that it's a win-win scenario.

Spider-Man is also an issue, completely forgot about that.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, you guys are right, IX probably wouldn't be ready for a May '19 release date. MovieMan's idea of pushing it to May 2020 would be kewl by me as it gives the SW brand and name a much needed long breath of fresh air, but what would you have in May '19 if not either of these two films? Captain Marvel is perfectly fine in its current release date, apart from having to clash with Shazam. Aladdin would be the best option imo, with Artemis Fowl moving up to Memorial Day (if possible), and even then, it'd spend a month without the precious June weekdays that make family movies monster players during the Summer. Yeah, not very feasible. Shame though, because the idea of Avengers 4 in December really intrigues me, and I think that it's a win-win scenario.

Aladdin being early May would actually be fantastic for the ridiculously overstuffed family fare of summer 2019. The more room Aladdin, SLOP2, TS4, and TLK all have to breathe from each other, the better. Throw Shazam in the Memorial Day spot instead. Then it and Captain Marvel avoid competition with each other. Homecoming 2 moves to first week of May 2020, IX is MD, GotG3 goes to July. Voila.

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

The new 12plex by me just opened :ohmygod: They have IW on seven screens, Overboard, A Quiet Place, I Feel Pretty, Rampage, and Chappaquiddick (random choice lol). The first shows starting now haven't sold much, but considering they just opened yesterday, I guess that's fine? idk

Do they have recliners?

11 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Shazam doesn't come until CM's 5th weekend, so that will not really be a clash. Godzilla 2 in its 3rd and Dumbo in its 4th are bigger issues than Shazam. 

I was hoping for more, but without the previews, the Friday drop is almost exactly the same as Avengers. If it gets the same jump on Sat and Sunday than BP it will get to 122, which is a better drop from the true weekend than TA. Way better drop than AoU and CW, so still, fine legs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, I can't imagine the pressure in trying to follow up a masterpiece.

Ikr, that 2.8x multi in December will be hard to top. I wonder how they could ever hope to recapture that level of WOM? Poor Abrams

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, I can't imagine the pressure in trying to follow up a masterpiece.

TLJ is a divisive blockbuster in its sum total.

A masterpiece to some and a disappointment to others.

16 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think Guardians 3 will come out in May 2020. That will be 3 years from the 2nd part. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

Shazam doesn't come until CM's 5th weekend, so that will not really be a clash. Godzilla 2 in its 3rd and Dumbo in its 4th are bigger issues than Shazam. 

Ehh, neither target the same demographic. Godzilla is a monster movie leaning more towards male, and Dumbo is a younger audience-skewing family movie. Sure, they both could take away from CM's audience regardless, but they're not direct competition. CM is gonna be four-quadrant as it attracts all audiences and demographics, but I have a feeling that it'll either be an even split or it'll be heavier on female audiences. Shazam is on paper a bigger issue as it's too a superhero film. But honestly, upon thinking about it, it's kind of a Wonder Woman/Homecoming pairing where one targets females and the other will probably go after children/middle-high schoolers, so it's not a big deal after all.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

52 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

I'm hoping A4 moves up a week like IW did. Looking at what's currently on the schedule it would have no competition opening to over $40 million until Aladdin on May 24th. Maybe after IW goes crazy in China they can work out something with the Chinese Film Board to open A4 the same day as domestic. 

They should do it out of respect for John Wick. The true cinematic event of May 2019.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1