Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

I'm gonna use there estimated 10 day total ($458 million) to do a final numbers extrapolation against the other 10-Day highest grossing films.

PATH

TFA..........$794.4 million 
BP............$789.8 million 
JW............$741.7 million 
TA1..........$765.4 million 
TLJ...........$771.5 million 
BATB........$723.6 million 
TDK.........$778.5 million 
AOU.........$670.8 million 
HGCF........$656.5 million
CA:CW......$631.5 million 

Looking at this and based on how it's currently holding, I'm confident in a $675m - $725m final total. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

Official numbers are in.

This is what I am going. This is a weekend movie and today should have a super strong increase.

Friday - $31,428,000

Saturday - $52,139,052 (+65.9%)

Sunday - $38,947,871 (-25.3%)

Projected: $122,514,923 (-52.5%)

How are those official numbers when it's not even noon on the west coast?

15 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

How are those official numbers when it's not even noon on the west coast?

He meant the official Friday estimate from Disney. The Saturday/Sunday numbers are simply his projection of what he thinks will happen. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

As long as saturday number has not up, I wouldn't drop any statement, we all know marvel has usual affair with saturday

Yeah, don't we ever learn from underwhelming Marvel fridays?

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah, don't we ever learn from underwhelming Marvel fridays?

Based on the usual “Thursday to Friday” increase marvel movies have (exactly how Baumer put it)   this is way too underwhelming, and for a movie that was performing better than the average marvel blockbuster until Friday , and I am obviously referring to  drops not absolute numbers 

Re: Avengers and legs

I was wondering this.... would it be a smart idea for Disney to swap Star Wars Ep. IX and Avengers 4's release dates?

Here's the thing: Infinity War has really good wom from audiences and will probably outleg Age Of Ultron and Cap 3 despite being a threequel, semi-fourthquel to The Avengers and a Part 19 of the MCU. And I imagine Avengers 4 will either once again play up strong emotional beats OR it will be a much more feel good story. So, given that it is not just a surefire 200M opener coming off IW's momentum but a potential OW record breaker as well, why not use the Holidays to give A4 a legs boost and push it beyond the traditional MCU sequel multipliers? 2.8x would be probably the absolute pits scenario and that's if wom was extraordinarily divisive #SorryAgainRian :sparta:Plus, Disney could use those extra 7 months to really hype A4 as next level shit, rather than rushing a marketing campaign without Captain Marvel even being out yet. Meanwhile, Solo could do pretty well all things considered (though it won't sniff Rogue One, obviously), and that's considering that NOBODY asked for it and the Star Wars brand took a hit with TLJ. So, why not use the "hey, a Star Wars episode movie is back on the beggining of May" draw to just get Episode IX out of the way and take away the December muting of its OW prospect and let it try to outopen TLJ, cause in December, it probably wouldn't do it. Neither movie has any major competition in these swapped release dates either (and A4 comes out with a bigger separation between it and the last major superhero movie or set of movies in the Star Wars date, compared to May 3rd).

The cons to that are that 1) the proximity between Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 has to be massively expanded on, which could hurt the chances of A4 riding the hype wave Infinity War/Black Panther-style, and 2) December mutes the OW, and A4 likely wouldn't be able to beat IW's OW record (not that I think it will in April/May either, but who knows, it has a chance)... though, if it's a crowdpleaser, it could instead have strong enough legs to at least challenge Avatar's gross off a record challenging OW :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

First of all I am not crying, I am expressing my opinion as do you. Secondly the Friday number is simply too low for this to have the weekend number I THOUGHT it would have, even with a much increased Saturday number.

Well, there you go, you expected it to have closer to a 50 or sub-50% drop, which, for a movie like IW, is almost unrealistically optimistic. Yeah, its performance was on par with Avengers 1 and Black Panther in the week, but it's still a sequel after all, while those movies were not sequels. It's not shocking at all that it's more frontloaded than either of them, and the fact is that its drop is gonna be a hell of a lot closer to those movies' than it should be. That shouldn't disappoint you whatsoever, mate. People were calling IW to have a 60% 2nd weekend drop for months, if not years, so this is crow for all of us that expected that regardless.

• Like 1

Just returned from a trip to Target and I wandered into the Blu Ray section while I was there. Baby Driver was priced at $15 while How to Be a Latin Lover was listed at $20. Neither was on sale. Target must be expecting a rush on Derbez movies this weekend.

So, took the fam to lunch and free comic book day at my local comic book store.  Signs were placed on all the entry doors to the store that said, "Please do not spoil A:IW in this store.  We want to make sure everyone gets to experience the glory of this movie for themselves."  And this is a movie already out 8 days:).

By the way, I had a chat with my favorite employee about the movie while there, spoiler-free.  We both agreed this was amazing Marvel, and probably the best so far:).  Now, if only their comic book lines could get back on that kinda track (some are great, but a lot have struggled lately:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Just now, Thrylos 7 said:

This was performing like a huge event, not a huge sequel, before this fucking Friday number. 

Lol.

Ok, im trying to take you seriously, i really am. This IS performing like a huge event. It will have a huge Saturday increase and top the 111M second weekend of the Cultural phenomenon that was Black Panther. Seriously, i dont get where this attitude comes from. Infinity War will get the record for the fastest movie to top 1 Billion worldwide, dethroning the monster that was TFA.

When a movie is delivering these kind of numbers, saying something like your sentence is simply ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

This was performing like a huge event, not a huge sequel, before this fucking Friday number. 

Thrylos is right, just 3 days ago we were talking about Avatar WW being a target.

Unless of course those saying that were on a complete marvel high

• ...wtf 1