baumer

Monday number IW 8.3

Pink and White aren’t on the whole ‘can recite every line from memory’ phase of IW

The point is...10 years since 2008, many movies have passed TDK and many more will DOM and WW. It’s fine and to be expected 

Edited by MrWhite
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

28 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

ahem

The actual wording from the trailer is

"Dread it, run from it, destiny still arrives"

:sparta:

A lot of people are quoting this epic line from thanos lately I noticed lol...

Great line

8 minutes ago, MrWhite said:

Pink and White aren’t on the whole ‘can recite every line from memory’ phase of IW

The point is...10 years since 2008, many movies have passed TDK and many more will DOM and WW. It’s fine and to be expected 

I thought this said "recede" :redcapes: 

• Disbelief 1

So I saw IW on IMAX 2d today. Went to the only true IMAX around. The thing is though, a decent chunk of the screen was still cut off at the top. I saw TDK and TDKR there and they went floor to ceiling for the IMAX scenes. I thought the whole movie was supposed to be like that if they shot with IMAX cameras? 

Edited by MovieMan89

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So I saw IW on IMAX 2d today. Went to the only true IMAX around. The thing is though, a decent chunk of the screen was still cut off at the top. I saw TDK and TDKR there and they went floor to ceiling for the IMAX scenes. I thought the whole movie was supposed to be like that if they shot with IMAX cameras? 

This filled the whole screen at my LieMax. You went to an actual IMAX so it had the black bars.

the movie wasn’t filmed with IMAX cameras it was filmed with IMAX branded cameras. It was a new camera from some company and IMAX paid to slap their name on it. The only thing IMAX about the cameras it was filmed on was the branding.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

There weren't any black bars at my showing and that was a true IMAX screen. I don't think so anyway. @Gamora should know, I think she's been to it more than once.

I'm not exactly a technical expert about this stuff but true full IMAX is 1.43 which is basically square, think the one IMAX scene in TFA in the Falcon chase scene: 

Spoiler

Kb5BeAA.png

The MCU IMAX is 1.90 which is closer to the TV 16x9 ratio. So the black bars at these screenings are just the unused portion of the full IMAX screen itself. As far as TFA goes that IMAX ratio didn't make it to blu-ray but the MCU ones do, so I'm thinking they keep it closer to the TV widescreen ratio so then it can be replicated on blu-ray (3D only at this point). Or maybe it saves money idk.

• Like 2

All I know is that the TDK movies filled the entire screen for certain scenes at the IMAX I went to and this never did. It was more of the screen than most movies, but a good chunk of the top and a small part of the bottom was black. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

All I know is that the TDK movies filled the entire screen for certain scenes at the IMAX I went to and this never did. It was more of the screen than most movies, but a good chunk of the top and a small part of the bottom was black. 

Yeah, Nolan filmed in a traditional IMAX ratio for those scenes in TDK. AIW was not filmed in that ratio, even though they used "IMAX" cameras.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I can confirm this behavior for TDK. I saw TDK in the true IMAX theater in what used to be called The Bridge Cinemas du Lux just off the 405 in West LA. The IMAX scenes were glorious, although they were mostly dialogue-free, tracking shots. It was jarring to see the picture size change so drastically between the IMAX scenes and the non-IMAX scenes. Still, it was a wonderful experience to see that masterpiece in an IMAX theater.

I have not seen AIW in IMAX but other movies I have seen in IMAX lately have all utilized the entire screen due to modern digital projection technology. If black bands were noticeable on AIW IMAX screenings, my first guess would be that there was a settings problem with the projection system.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Monday is expected. Would’ve loved to see 9m but that wasn’t realistic looking at other MCU comps. 

Anyone have an educated guess for the China OW? How much higher of an OW than the Furious films is even feasible there? 

It really does seem to be opening in China somewhere between 200 and 240m, depending on your level of optimism that day.

And China will probably be a big reason why this movie goes past 2b WW.  Assuming it looks as good as it does.

Edited by REC

1 hour ago, AJG said:

the movie wasn’t filmed with IMAX cameras it was filmed with IMAX branded cameras. It was a new camera from some company and IMAX paid to slap their name on it. The only thing IMAX about the cameras it was filmed on was the branding.

Thank you. I was still very confused by what people meant with the whole shot entirely in "Imax" when I heard different stories on the cameras and the problems of filming an entire movie with real Imax cameras and you just answered my question. 

6 hours ago, REC said:

It really does seem to be opening in China somewhere between 200 and 240m, depending on your level of optimism that day.

And China will probably be a big reason why this movie goes past 2b WW.  Assuming it looks as good as it does.

Higher than that. There is a chance of beating the domestic opening.

• Like 1