Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

The last time I looked in this thread Solo was looking at $115M 4-day. Now it's all the way down to $100M 4-day. Give it another day and it'll probably drop to $90M 4-day. 

On the bright side (it's not a bright side) DP2 didn't drop over 70% like I thought it would. Still that 66% drop is horrendous and seeing how Godzilla also dropped that much back in 2014, DP2 will be lucky to get to $280M. So once again my $260M prediction is pretty close even though I got yelled at for it left and right. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Making a Hawkeye solo movie probably wouldn't help them at all. I think he's the least interesting character in that universe and I don't think enough people care about him.  If it's a prequel, that's even worse.

I have no idea about a Black Widow movie. I dig the idea but at the same time I don't. I don't know if Widow alone can hold a full movie. 

I doubt Widow will be alone. Winter Solider/Falcon will probably join as well. Marvel is being very tight lipped about it.

9 minutes ago, babz06 said:

no one asked for newt, which is why his films have turned into a pseudo prequels to Harry Potter's time with the Grindelwald/Dumbledore drama. Alot of fans want a Maruader's era too which i think is next on the agenda. 

Next on agenda (after the FB is finished), should be a non-Cursed Child sequel with the crew back that will inevitably make +$2B worldwilde.

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

It's the most watched event in the world after the Olympics. Doesn't it kinda make sense that it will have some impact?

World Cup Final is the most watched event in the world by a shit-ton.. most concurrent viewers by far

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

Y’all are too much with the thread title.

83M OW off of 14M previews is 5.88x internal multiplier. Easily the best out of the 4 recent Star Wars. 

That's because of a 4-day weekend with no work or school tomorrow.

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It's the most watched event in the world after the Olympics. Doesn't it kinda make sense that it will have some impact?

But my point is this is the first time I've heard of studios scheduling movies around it. 

Also in the Deadline article, I can't believe Disney is blaming DP2 as one of the reasons why Solo bombed. That's how you know, they're not going to learn anything from this bombing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Europe (especially Germany/UK/France/Spain) will be DEAD for 1 month.

Well, except for Italy and the Netherlands i guess :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

You may find out soon. With two lesser properties on the schedule in the next five months, I'd say it is likely, if not highly probable, one or both films bomb.

It’s not the status of the property that matters.  MCU has built up a ton of unknowns into big stars in movies that are big hits.

In order for the MCU to bomb they’d need to make 2-3 bad or divisive movies in a row.  Since they aren’t doing that, none of their new movies will bomb.

But a bad cap marvel movie could cause problems.

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

JW has the advantage of being the only big blockbuster in June as everyone is avoiding it due to the World Cup so even if it drops OS which it will, it should do relatively well. 

Ehm ... incredibles :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Eastwood47 said:

If an industry site becomes nothing but a propaganda machine for a studio then what's the merit in reading their reflections on the business? Even worse, if that influence holds true, then imagine how far reaching a studio's impact would be on a movie critic who could use a financial supplement so their family gets a vacation this year? I think it's safe to assume Disney has a number of rubber stampers out there faithfully kneeling at the throne for a sad hand out. It kind of goes back to the original idea that everyone should just vote with their wallet from their own assessment and  ignore the franchise groupies in the industry. 

Industry site are output for agents and studio this is true, some say around 90% there come from them and not the result of journalistic work when they were not directly in cahoot with the Weinstein and others.

Real output like a real journal is a completely different animal, a real journal would never have a critic on a paid vacation by a studio for example, they will pay travel, hotel, etc... to them if needed to go see a movie in some premier/festival and they will have usually journalistic ethic involved.

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Actually the Solo number is good. From a certain point of view.

From John Carter point of view maybe or the Lone Ranger.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 2

Not sure what Disney expected Solo to do. The Force Awakens was a unique cultural event (continuation of the original trilogy, supernova levels of nostalgia and a hell of a trailer), but this is the fourth Star Wars universe film and the second one not tied to the main storyline. Was there really that much demand for a Solo film without Harrison Ford? Then you have some really sketchy advertising that made the a film seem like a spoof, and just plain bad scheduling. Plus outside of the US and UK these films do not have a huge global following.  

1 minute ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Ehm ... incredibles :ph34r:

Release dates for I2 in (mainly) Europe:

Spain 27 June 2018  
Netherlands 27 June 2018  
Portugal 28 June 2018  
France 4 July 2018  
UK 13 July 2018  
Poland 13 July 2018  
Hungary 19 July 2018  
Romania 27 July 2018  
Japan 1 August 2018  
Czech Republic 2 August 2018  
Slovakia 2 August 2018  
Estonia 3 August 2018  
Spain 3 August 2018  
Lithuania 3 August 2018  
Latvia 3 August 2018  
Denmark 30 August 2018  
Sweden 31 August 2018  
Italy 19 September 2018  
Germany 27 September 2018  

So as you can see, many markets scheduled it outside the World Cup for obvious reasons. JW really doesnt have all that much competition.

Just now, Mekanos said:

But my point is this is the first time I've heard of studios scheduling movies around it. 

It's always been that way especially in Europe where the football will have a more impactful effect on box office. To take the UK, nothing big is scheduled for the 15th because that's when the tournament starts. 

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

From the point of view that now Disney will have to stop treating SW as their nostalgic cash cow and really think about what they're doing going forward. Maybe we'll even end up with some exciting and fresh ideas for the franchise. out of all of this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Definitely. It led Lucasfilm to double down and go ahead with a Boba Fett movie of all things.

Dis Solo numbers is good.

• Haha 1