Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, YLF said:

its funny because the writing was on the wall with the pre-sale numbers but people kept making excuses. It'll be strong with walk ups! its a family film! knowing that star wars is not the MCU and is the inverse of how those films operate. SW typically has strong pre-sales and weaker walk-ups. This movie exemplified that.

To be fair, it was hard to wrap one's mind around the idea of an SW film failing this spectacularly. I mean I was one of Solo's biggest detractor's from the get go and yet even seeing those pre-sales I could never quite bring myself to predict the disaster they were indicating. 95-100 or so was about as low as I could justify to predict for an SW OW, and here we are with it being even lower. So again, it tells me to trust the buzz/data over a franchise name. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

For now. 

Can a mega franchise implode harder than this tho? I mean, I guess Aquaman or Shazam can do under 400M WW. We will see.

Bad number no two ways about it.  But if anyone thinks this is causing people to be fired after three movies have already paid for the 4 billion then that is what you want not the reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

To be fair, it was hard to wrap one's mind around the idea of an SW film failing this spectacularly. I mean I was one of Solo's biggest detractor's from the get go and yet even seeing those pre-sales I could never quite bring myself to predict the disaster they were indicating. 95-100 or so was about as low as I could justify to predict for an SW OW, and here we are with it being even lower. So again, it tells me to trust the buzz/data over a franchise name. 

You're right. I didnt predict it either. But its not shocking considering after the initial 24 hours pre-sales were so weak.

7 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

You may find out soon. With two lesser properties on the schedule in the next five months, I'd say it is likely, if not highly probable, one or both films bomb.

Marvel’s tight budgets basically prevent any kind of bomb potential. AM2 and CM are not going to bomb anyways 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Yep. If anything, Solo's performance increases the credit that FB should be getting by a lot.

As I previously said, If no one in the world asked for a Han Solo prequel then no one in the whole universe asked for a Newt Scamander one. (Actually even most Potterheads didn't know who he was)...

And yet Solo looks like it may not make 0.5FB worldwilde.

Before the trailer came out, i predicted under 700M worldwide for FB2. However, if they are smart and cram as much Harry Potter in this one as possible (Hogwarts/Dumbledore and Co.), it should be able to reach the first ones numbers or maybe could surpass them. The castle alone is such a big selling point.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I wonder what it would take for a Marvel movie to bomb the way Solo is bombing. 

Making a Hawkeye solo movie probably wouldn't help them at all. I think he's the least interesting character in that universe and I don't think enough people care about him.  If it's a prequel, that's even worse.

I have no idea about a Black Widow movie. I dig the idea but at the same time I don't. I don't know if Widow alone can hold a full movie. 

From deadline:

Said Mouse execs will “spend a lot of time digging into every question in every market to get the answer” to why Solo so under-performed. “We came into the beginning of the year with this one of the most anticipated films. We gotta spend some time looking at the exits and get a better handle on all the questions.”

I lul'd.  Its not rocket science.  

1.)  A lot of people didn't like TLJ(no matter how much its passionate fans say otherwise).

2.)  Han Solo prequel/origin story is a movie nobody asked for combined with mediocre(at best) reviews.

3.)  I think this one is minimal, but forced ID politics might be turning some people off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Yep. If anything, Solo's performance increases the credit that FB should be getting by a lot.

As I previously said, If no one in the world asked for a Han Solo prequel then no one in the whole universe asked for a Newt Scamander one. (Actually even most Potterheads didn't know who he was)...

And yet Solo looks like it may not make 0.5FB worldwilde.

no one asked for newt, which is why his films have turned into a pseudo prequels to Harry Potter's time with the Grindelwald/Dumbledore drama. Alot of fans want a Maruader's era too which i think is next on the agenda. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Well that last sentence was a joke because of Solo. I still believe Episode IX will be huge.

But yeah, JP is in a very good spot right now. People love dinosaurs. And if the movie is good, they will come in droves.

No, Solo proves the point. As I already stated, up until this very weekend SW had been the infallible franchises among all franchises for over 40 years. Now it just failed. You can't tell me that JP is a more reliable franchise than SW prior to Solo. So you should see how it's entirely possible for FK to drop huge with the lack of hype there's been.