Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

6 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

The thing about TLJ was that it was liked by many, the issue I have is why do so many people not understand that a lot of non-racists, non-sexist people had serious issues with the film.

I think that is easy to understand, why could it be a big deal to have issue with a movie ? That is an harder to understand for the average people that never cared for any franchise ever (or at least no where the level star wars fans do) like most. It feel like if it is a big deal to dislike a movie, there must be something stronger going on (underestimating how crazy those fan goes for those products)

I think Disney needs to make Lucasfilm go to all it's other divisions with every new idea/script for future films & ask them will people be interested in these or not? cause the quality is usually there with the films but like nobody wanted a Solo movie.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

65m OW from the entire OS landscape is just something else. With an opening that low and FK hitting OS next week, this thing could go significantly lower than even 200. Disney is having two of the biggest OS big budget failures I've ever seen this year with WiT and now Solo. 

wrinkle ww + solo ww < 550 on a combined prod budget of 400-450 and of course each film had it's own marketing budgets.

but BP and AIW are gonna make Disney 1b+ (450+ for BP and 600+ for AIW) in profits according to deadline.

so Disney is Disney and have a great line up ahead too with other MCUs, live-actions (especially TLK), Pixar, WDAS and whatever they get from Fox.

TLJ absolutely is one of the reasons Solpmis flopping. Along with the disinterest. If it was just one of these reasons the numbers would be just average. Boyj

of these combined are what is chasing the shitting horrible numbers you see

10 minutes ago, Litio said:

Is this the greatest failure in BO history?

No.

There are movies out there that sank entire studios (hello Heaven's Gate). Solo won't even lose that much money when it's all said and done. And certainly just a blip on Disney's radar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I never thought we'd see a high profile flop bigger than Justice League this soon. I guess DCU is no longer this forum's designated punching bag anymore.

Justice for solow

• Haha 1

And Solo is coming off of 3 billion dollar movies, so it's drop is doubly embarrassing because of that fact. From 1 billion to 400-450mil. And if Disney isn't careful they are going to completely lose the international market with regards to Star Wars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

No.

There are movies out there that sank entire studios (hello Heaven's Gate). Solo won't even lose that much money when it's all said and done. And certainly just a blip on Disney's radar.

Reminds me of something John Landis once said about how studios used to lie about a film's budget to make it bigger and nowadays they do the exact opposite. Lie about the costs to make it cheaper.

5 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

No.

It sure as hell will on a 300m budget before even marketing costs. 400 is not a guarantee worldwide with that OS OW. And lmao if anyone thinks that a Star Wars film as a box office bomb is just going to be a "blip" on Disney's radar.

This is a bigger deal than JL failing because DCEU was a newer franchise that never had anywhere near the pedigree of SW. SW is supposed to be THE franchise of franchises, literally infallible for 40 years across 9 movies. Just last month people would have still told you it was "impossible" for Solo to lose money as an SW film. Now here we are.  

Edited by MovieMan89