Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

29 minutes ago, Chewy said:

HARSH but fair

Lol, in all honesty I think it's a better release for it. X-Men's track record with Memorial Day is arguably the best among any franchise (3 of the top 10 openings), and February positions it right in the firing squad of CM and Shazam. It's box office run will literally be over after 3 weeks. This way it has no big CBM release to contend with in all of June and gets to benefit from summer weekdays. 

Just now, BK007 said:

What was the average Solo prediction? I wanted it to fail, and even then I thought maybe SW fans are too undiscerning and predicted over $300m. So, suddenly, everyone knew no one wanted Solo etc.? Maybe the sentiment was there, but you never know until the big day comes how the public at large reacts. 

The movie really had nothing going for it heading into the weekend (the well-documented production drama, an unexciting marketing campaign, the unenviable task of being a Han Solo movie without Ford, being the fourth Star Wars movie in less than three years, to name a few), but a lot of us assumed the Star Wars brand would be enough to carry the day (I predicted a $135M 4-day last week). But as we've found out, no franchise is immune when everyone is completely apathetic towards the movie in question.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Just waded through about 20 pages of people saying they disliked TLJ for non-racist reasons and getting called racist, hoping to find some rare gem of actually good box office content, and the only glimmer of hope was @baumer analysis of sequels opening ~2x+ their predecessor.     

I honestly think that a part of any "Star Wars fatigue" at the moment is related to discussions about it devolving into nonsense like this and that forming a negative association with people even though it isn't directly related to the movies themselves.

Thanks, won't scroll back.

But, why would disliking TLJ be racist? lol. 

I feel as though I'm more objective, since I'm not a fan of SW, and both TFA/TLJ weren't very good and honestly very samey. This isn't Thor/Thor Ragnarok kind of noticeable of departing from franchise norm which is what I keep hearing.

In fact, the slavishness to follow the 3-movie arc and risk-averseness is what makes them ho-hum movies. They still made a shit-tonne, but it probably isn't good for the long run when you can't create something new with the richness of the world already created.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The movie really had nothing going for it heading into the weekend (the well-documented production drama, an unexciting marketing campaign, the unenviable task of being a Han Solo movie without Ford, being the fourth Star Wars movie in less than three years, to name a few), but a lot of us assumed the Star Wars brand would be enough to carry the day (I predicted a $135M 4-day last week). But as we've found out, no franchise is immune when everyone is completely apathetic towards the movie in question.

Thanks, I only predict 3 times a year for a movie game with the cut-offs being December 31st, April 30th and August 31st. 

So my predictions for the following periods are as of those dates, but when did people notice blood in the water? Just heading into the weekend? 

I'm not a fan, so when Solo was announced and after seeing the trailer, I still had no reaction- but I didn't have any either with TLJ or Rogue One.

5 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Solo will most probably end up doing less than mummy (2017) WW. :sparta:

65*2.55 = 166 current os + 14 japan = 180 os

so to beat Mummy dom needs to be 229 (2.75x the inflated 3-day ow). i don't think the os can go up over 180-185 with jw2 and world cup around the corner.

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BK007 said:

Thanks, I only predict 3 times a year for a movie game with the cut-offs being December 31st, April 30th and August 31st. 

So my predictions for the following periods are as of those dates, but when did people notice blood in the water? Just heading into the weekend? 

I'm not a fan, so when Solo was announced and after seeing the trailer, I still had no reaction- but I didn't have any either with TLJ or Rogue One.

After all the trouble the film's gone through, they've probably been ready to sweep this one under a rug for a while now. Lucasfilm will just take the L and move on.

Gross post Saturday as a multiplier of Sat gross for Memorial Day openers:

POTC4: 6.32x

X: Apocalypse: 5.3x

X:DOFP: 5.78x

FF6: 5.3x

MIB3: 7.43x

NATM2: 7.05x

To reach 250M, Solo would need to do 7.69x.

A 7x would mean a 230-235M finish. With a projected 165-170M OS, it might just reach 400M WW.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

When it comes to TLJ I’d much rather we follow Rose’s sister than her. In her short screen time she seemed like a way better character. 

She and bdt were the coolest characters in their limited time. Along with luke.:ph34r: