Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I remember reading on article on Homecoming from one of the trades. Sony was pitching a 300M budget and Feige shut that shit down real quick, explained that he likes to control costs on the first two flicks and then open the manpurse on the third. That way you aren't shooting yourself in both feet before the movie even opens

Sony’s budget department is like a baby in a candy shop. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it's still a Star Wars movie

it still received a large marketing push with many tie ins. It's not like Disney treated it like a small movie

What constitutes a Star Wars movie is up for debate. One could argue that a *true* Star Wars movie is an episodic one.

Edited by Jay Beezy

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

@Maxmoser3 Every year we hear "finally a year where MCU will flop. They got away with _______, but _______ is going to be their first flop." 11 years of flop predictions. OTOH, "Star Wars is Back" flopped 3.5 years since its return. :lol:

MCU got their flop over with in Phase 1 when no one was paying attention. 

• Like 3

Memorial Day box office never lives up to the hype.

I’m confused why Disney has continued to try and launch a summer tent pole over this weekend when they’ve had so many flops and bad fortune with Memorial Day.

I’m hoping Disney wises up soon and moves Aladdin next year to a different weekend.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The level of rejection WW is what is really interesting to me. Every country, be it a favorable one for Star Wars or one of the growing markets where people don't care for the franchise, just decided to not show up for the movie. We rarely get such a unanimous rejection of a movie, especially Star Wars where this is pretty much unprecedented.

And especially one with good reviews (if they are similar to US/UK scores)...

Like others have said, it would be similar to ST:Beyond except Star Trek never had a TFA/TLJ megahit.

Just now, NYer4Life said:

I’m confused why Disney has continued to try and launch a summer tent pole over this weekend when they’ve had so many flops and bad fortune with Memorial Day.

I’m hoping Disney wises up soon and moves Aladdin next year to a different weekend.

Aladdin being sandwiched like the way it has been makes me wonder if Disney is not expecting much for whatever reason

I think we are way past the era of 2007 where three movies can open comfortably to over 100 million in a month. Competition is so much tighter now than it was even a decade ago, especially with ticket prices going up and up. 2019 could be a bloodbath with so many big releases close to each other.

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

When Deadpool 2 is flopping but its over shadowed by a Star Wars movie bombing 

Now I know why Fox moved Deadpool 2 up before Solo 

"Flop" is overused here but this... goes too far.

Seriously, calm down. :Venom:

20 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I drop back in this thread and it's now just a few members of the negative feedback loop talking to themselves.

Let's let this run for a few hours and see how bad it gets.

a Star Wars movie bombs and you expect no one to talk about it. LOl

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NYer4Life said:

The entire Disney schedule is outrageous next year, no real place to movie it

I must say, even though I kinda suspected a lot of people would be turned off by a Solo movie, this is still quite a surprise.

I didn't expect that much rejection, especially on the overseas front.

We'll see how it plays out, it may yet have decent legs even if the opening is deflated.

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

"Flop" is overused here but this... goes too far.

Seriously, calm down. :Venom:

Its a flop! It probably explains why Ryan Reynolds has resorted to big budget Netflix films. Can't flop/bomb if there is no box office attached to it 

:redcapes:

• Haha 2

loooooooooooooool

So glad I had the lowest Summer Game Prediction :sparta: 

20 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Imagine being Paramount with a Bumblebee movie set to release in a few months

Bumblebee>Solo DOM and WW

It is happening. Do not doubt Paramount’s new powers.