WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

57 minutes ago, Alli said:

seriously now, Ant Man 2 opened on par with tracking. the numbers are expected for those who didn't hype it to ridiculous numbers

Yep, AM&TW has a solid opening that did the job. It out-grossed AM. No more no less. Solid openings are not exciting, unfortunately, unlike Solo bomb, BP breakout and AIW record-breaking. There's nothing much to say about a movie that performs to expectations, so some people are trying to spice things up by throwing around disappointment, and similar stuff that doesn't apply, in order to get reaction.

Edited by Valonqar

13 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Maybe if you learn what a joke is.

Except jokes are supposed to be funny or in some circumstances, enlightening. You should already be aware of this forum's dependency on the MCU, so of course many people are not going to find your statement funny.

• ...wtf 1

Ant-Man and The Wasp is fine even if didn't do as well as people thought it would. The gross is respectable enough for a sequel, and Black Panther / Infinity War cover it. It's definitely fine.

I find it interesting that The Incredibles 2 overtook Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom as soon as it did. Jurassic lept over Deadpool 2's domestic total, so I'm happy. I don't want superhero films to monopolize the top spots of the year's domestic chart, let alone any single genre.

Universal was smart to give The First Purge the release date they did, so that the film became profitable before realizing that quality wasn't the film's main concern. At least the film is a success because it'd be bad for the people's jobs if it wasn't, but it irks me when undeserving films are hits simply because of marketing gimmicks (same reason why seeing an Illumination film is bittersweet to me).

Seems like Whitney is another biopic documentary that is being successful (albiet thanks to opening in over 400 theaters). I will always root for Roadside Attractions as a distributor, so I hope.the film continues to succeed.

Speaking of success, Sorry To Bother You has an opening that looks very good. Annapurna picked a good date for its wide release; paired against Hotel Transylvania 3 and Skyscraper, it has the potential to be a surprise sensation. And, well, a quality film is a quality film. Kudos. And to all who read this: brace for impact

• Like 3

Solo is on 380 ww with pretty much Japan the only os market really in play. Dom could add around 2.5 more after a 0.98 weekend. Can Japan make up the difference by adding 17-18 more to the current cume?

12 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Except jokes are supposed to be funny or in some circumstances, enlightening. You should already be aware of this forum's dependency on the MCU, so of course many people are not going to find your statement funny.

That's great man.

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, a2k said:

multipliers and doms assuming ant-man's ow comes in a little higher at 77 ow:

2.6x 200

2.7x 208

2.8x 216

2.86x (SMH) 220

I think SMH is gonna be too hard to get - the family storm just worked too well for it last year, and that's not gonna happen this year.  I mean, last July/August was a perfect storm for Spidey to leg out with families - it had VERY bad animated movies - Nut Job Never Again and Emoji Never Should - as its only animated family competition for the rest of the summer.  Prior to those movies, you had a disappointing and poor quality Despicable Me 3 (I can say this b/c I paid for this movie - ugh) and a non-starter in Cars 3, so families were looking for anything quality (many of those families did see WW - note, this is why that also legged out even more than one might have expected:).  You had a wildly popular and well-acted hero and villain turn (never knew how popular Tom Holland is with teen and tween girls til I saw a Comic-Con - holy crap, not sure why the other 2 Avenger actors were there, b/c no one wanted to talk to anyone but Spidey - and Michael Keaton for the adult set - did I mention how perfectly cast this movie was:).  And, you had a WOM from the target family market that I'm not quite seeing yet for this movie...

In Ant Man's favor, there is MoviePass, Sinemia, and AMC passes now, and folks are getting to movies more...that's about the only + I think that Ant Man has over Spidey.  It's a BIG plus, but not one that I think likely takes it higher than AIW's legs...and I'm pretty sure not higher than Spidey...

• Like 1

Did this land in the tracking range, under, or over is not the only variable for whether an OW is good. If your tracking range was spectacular, and you hit it, that’s spectacular. If your tracking range was pretty meh, and you hit it, that’s pretty meh. That is exactly what we have here.  It’s not actually doing bad, it’s just not doing good either.

Edited by Thanos Legion

Now would probably be a good time to mention that MCU has conditioned us at this point to think it's normal for sequels to blockbusters to just increase with ease over their predecessor. It's really not. MCU is a weird anomaly in franchises that way. If AMATW wasn't MCU we'd probably be talking about how great a +35% increase over the first's OW is. 

• Like 5

Bottom 5 MCU Adjusted according to MOJO

15 Thor: The Dark World BV $226,626,300 $206,362,140 11/8/13
16 Thor Par. $205,797,400 $181,030,624 5/6/11
17 Captain America: The First Avenger Par. $203,826,400 $176,654,505 7/22/11
18 Ant-Man BV $199,945,600 $180,202,163 7/17/15
19 The Incredible Hulk Uni. $171,982,100 $134,806,913 6/13/08

Thor2 is the only sequel that adjusts below 250.

CA2 at 285 is the only other one below 300.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=avengers.htm

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1