YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Horrendous for Skyscraper, that's just as bad as Baywatch. They're beyond lucky China eats that kind of movie up. And more evidence to suggest Jumanji's success might have had very little to do with the Rock's draw power. 

It was a combo of nostalgia and Jack Black (and to a lesser but extent Karen Gillan) being VERY funny. Also, the movie was good. Very little to do with The Rock. 

• Like 1

I bet Skyscraper could get a sequel with half the budget and more action and go direct to video in the U.S., but a light release overseas.  Hollow Man 2 did well in that deparment.  First one was like a 100 million box office bomb with a big opening weekend for is time, a visual effect nomination.  Second one direct to video.  

Cinemascores for major releases.

Black Panther - A+ 
Imagine - A+ 
Incredibles - A+
Love - A+ 

12 Strong - A 
Avengers - A 
Deadpool - A 
Miracle Season - A 
Paddington - A 
Sgt. Stubby - A 

Acrimony - A- 
Ant-Man - A-
Book Club - A- 
Jurassic World - A-
God's Not Dead - A- 
Hotel Transylvania - A-
Overboard - A- 
Midnight Sun - A- 
Peter Rabbit - A- 
Rampage - A- 
RP1 - A- 
Solo - A- 

50 Shades - B+ 
AQP - B+ 
Death Wish - B+ 
Den of Thieves - B+ 
Every Day - B+ 
Game Night - B+ 
I Feel Pretty - B+ 
Maze Runner - B+ 
Oceans Eight - B+ 
Proud Mary - B+ 
Sherlock Gnomes - B+ 
Skyscraper - B+
Super Troopers - B+ 
Superfly - B+
Tag - B+

Adrift - B 
Blockers - B 
Breaking In - B 
Chappaquiddick - B 
Commuter - B 
Early Man - B 
Life of Party - B 
Pacific Rim - B 
Red Sparrow - B 
Tomb Raider - B 
Wrinkle in Time - B 

15:17 to Paris - B- 
Bad Samaritan - B- 
First Purge - B-
Hurricane Heist - B- 
Insidious 4 - B- 
Truth or Dare - B- 
Unsane - B- 
Winchester - B- 

Action Point - C+ 
Gringo - C+ 

Annihilation - C 
Strangers: Prey - C 

Hotel Artemis - C- 

Hereditary - D+ 

these are unreported: 
Forever My Girl 
Isle of Dogs 
Paul, Apostle 
Samson 
Traffik 
Tully 
Upgrade 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

just reminded me of that one scene cameo Glenn Close has in Warcraft and i remember sitting in the cinema watching that and my whole brain was screaming. it's when i totally gave up hope of understanding that movie. it was that moment that i just decided it was time for my mind to exit my body and i was just gonna be a shell of a person sitting in front of a screen until the movie ended. 

rewatching this and i can't believe this movie actually happened. jesus. NO CLUE what's going on here.

jesus, i had forgotten just how badly lit this thing was. it's tv bad.

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

It was a combo of nostalgia and Jack Black (and to a lesser but extent Karen Gillan) being VERY funny. Also, the movie was good. Very little to do with The Rock. 

Jack Black is not a draw. Stop being delusional just because you don't like The Rock. Oh and The Rock's last hit came out in April of this year. These forums are ridiculous with their petty doom and gloom talk. Also we don't have the international numbers yet. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm excited for Fallout, despite my man's messy words a few days back, but I'm truly waiting for The Meg.

Something about it SCREAMS summer fun...and I'm also eagerly anticipating The Predator and Halloween.

But yeah, hope The Meg does well...they missed out not casting Miss Claire Holt, a proven draw that carried Mandy Moore and 47 Meters Down on her BACK.

RCRzMVf.gif

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Jack Black is not a draw. Stop being delusional just because you don't like The Rock. Oh and The Rock's last hit came out in April of this year. These forums are ridiculous with their petty doom and gloom talk. Also we don't have the international numbers yet. 

You say that but in terms of comedy Jack Black easily brought in the most people

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Horrendous for Skyscraper, that's just as bad as Baywatch. They're beyond lucky China eats that kind of movie up. And more evidence to suggest Jumanji's success might have had very little to do with the Rock's draw power. 

Skyscraper is being allowed in during the China summer foreign movie blackout period. Could mean that its gonna have more blockbuster local releases to compete against. 

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

Why is everyone afraid to call Ant Man 2 a flop? 

Because it's not. Simple as that. Also what @That One Guy said.

Skyscraper could be a flop, though. At a 125M budget, it better hope that OS is really great (I presume it may be in China), cause it may not make 60M DOM with an OW like that.

HT3 doing about what I expected, which is good and very much in line with the other two films.

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

Why is everyone afraid to call Ant Man 2 a flop? 

Presumably the same reason they’re afraid to call this a useful post   

Spoiler

It isn’t 

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 5