Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread: Equalizer 2 pulls off an upset win over Mamma Mia 2 - 35.83M to 34.44M

18 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Today’s matinees will determine Mamma Mia and Equalizer. They may make a small increase or be hit by that opening day effect. 

The theater I'm seeing both movies at today has just cut the last showing of Mamma Mia to make way for another Equalizer at night (they had the former on 4 screens and the latter on 2 for all day yesterday and today as well). If I had to guess, Mamma Mia is selling much better during the day but Equalizer is doing much better at night.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Solid hold for Sorry to Bother You I have to say. This could get to 15m which is a win considering how wild the movie supposedly gets. Then it'll surely enjoy a long life as a cult movie.

$15,000,000 is a certainty. I actually see it getting to $20,000,000. It is pacing ahead of The Kids Are All Right and The Way, Way Back, two other comedy summer specialities, and those both hit $20,000,000. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

$15,000,000 is a certainty. I actually see it getting to $20,000,000. It is pacing ahead of The Kids Are All Right and The Way, Way Back, two other comedy summer specialities, and those both hit $20,000,000. 

I don't see it expanding further so I think it'll start dropping from here. And Kids and WWB were more audience-friendly.

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I don't see it expanding further so I think it'll start dropping from here. And Kids and WWB were more audience-friendly.

Its PTA is going to drop about 50% this weekend (it increased its theater count by over 30%) so its expansion definitely stops here. Still, $15M is certainly a very impressive sum for a film that goes to some truly bizarre places like it does.

• Like 1

Solid starts for Mamma Mia! and Equalizer 2. It'll be a mighty close race for #1 - possibly within half a million or less.

The drops for last weekend's openers look rough, but most of the other holdovers are in line for pretty good holds this weekend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

BP didn't increase nearly as much as I thought it would with the expansion. This might still take a significant fudge campaign by Disney to get 700. 

Movie's been out on Blu-Ray for two months. Imagine it's hard to pull significant fudge for a film that's been so easy to watch at home for so long.

2 hours ago, filmscholar said:

If Incredibles is gonna pull 600 domestic, what in the world will Toy Story 4 do next year?

Image result for great scott gif

Much less?       

AM&TW headed for 205+, starting to feel good about that over Solo club again.