sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

2 minutes ago, MagnarTheGreat said:
Deadpool movie 90% of
Gross
on Day
Multiplier
(DG ÷ FW)
Domestic
Gross
First
Weekend
Deadpool (Feb. 2016) 31 2.74 $363.1M $132.4M
Deadpool 2 (May 2018) 29 2.53 $318.1M $125.5M

Lower, but not that inconsistent.

DP1's ow Sunday was +0.2% (Sun was Val Day and then Mon was PD holiday, further helping Sun night). Else that 2.74x would have been closer to 3x imo. Even so, DP2 did very well dom and especially os.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alli said:

Disney’s Christopher Robin is eyeing a second weekend in 3rd place between $11M-$13M, -51%, for a 10-day on the high-end of $50.5M.

BlacKkKlansman from Focus Features is looking at $3.8M to $4M today, which includes Thursday previews of $670K, and an opening around $10M, which is OK for a feature that has a net production cost of $15M. There’s a chance that the Spike Lee-directed movie does more.

Screen Gems’ Slender Man is also looking at around $10M for the weekend after a Friday that’s bound toward $4M-$4.5M.

I need Friday numbers - or at least their early numbers - because I can't trust Deadline's multis. 

I dont see why BlackkKlansman would have the same multi as Slenderman 

13 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

The Meg is probably going to be way more front loaded, too, and if they are right about that $178,000,000 production cost, then whoever let it get that high is irresponsible. 

That a roller coster, we went to 150m to 130m to Deadline phone ringing saying 178m.

Who are the people calling deadline and why they do it.... we will maybe never know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I think considering (as per Deadline) WB only have a $52m stake in Meg’s production budget, they’d still be happy with much less. 

Did it change from deadline, they seem to be saying:

Finance sources tell me that the production budget split between U.S. and China on a pic like this is really 49% studio to 51% Chinese partners. The upside here? Warner Bros. gets access to 43% of the China box office and also a percent of the pic’s Middle Kingdom ancillary revenues as the title falls outside the regular mandated China quote of Hollywood pics. CMC also covers The Meg‘s P&A in the PRC. Typically, a studio only receives 25%-27% from a pic’s China B.O.  I’m hearing if The Meg gets to around $400M worldwide it could potentially breakeven, 

I guess that :

And others are also co-financier that 50% studio share of the cost too.
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Mile 22 has bad, bad pre-sales, don't see here a serious competitor.

Tickets aren’t on sale at a lot of theaters yet, and it’s not a presale based movie at all. If presales are still low on Wednesday, then we’ll talk

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

Variety also has Blackkk  & CR at $11-13m and Slender at $10m

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Did it change from deadline, they seem to be saying:

Finance sources tell me that the production budget split between U.S. and China on a pic like this is really 49% studio to 51% Chinese partners. The upside here? Warner Bros. gets access to 43% of the China box office and also a percent of the pic’s Middle Kingdom ancillary revenues as the title falls outside the regular mandated China quote of Hollywood pics. CMC also covers The Meg‘s P&A in the PRC. Typically, a studio only receives 25%-27% from a pic’s China B.O.  I’m hearing if The Meg gets to around $400M worldwide it could potentially breakeven, 

I guess that :

And others are also co-financier that 50% studio share of the cost too.

WB got a sweet deal with The Meg and their costs is between $63.7m on the low end and $87.2m on the high end of the budget scale excluding P&A. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tickets aren’t on sale at a lot of theaters yet, and it’s not a presale based movie at all. If presales are still low on Wednesday, then we’ll talk

There's not pre-sale heavy and then there's Mile 22 selling 24 tickets on Fandango yesterday and Alpha selling 20

• Astonished 1

Just noticed that WB is currently third domestically and with The Meg doing over $30m this weekend, they'll be at $800m domestic, impressive considering that they've not had any huge hits unlike Disney, Universal or Fox. I imagine they'll hit $1bn domestically by September.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

Caught an early afternoon showing of BlacKKKlansman. It's another great film in a summer that has produced more high quality entertainment than most, if not all, of the other summers from this decade. Hopefully CRA and THM can continue the strong summer quality in the remaining weeks ahead.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Just noticed that WB is currently third domestically and with The Meg doing over $30m this weekend, they'll be at $800m domestic, impressive considering that they've not had any huge hits unlike Disney, Universal or Fox. I imagine they'll hit $1bn domestically by September.

Adding up the budgets vs grosses and it's not that impressive.  

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Adding up the budgets vs grosses and it's not that impressive.  

Or the amount of release, by studio:

Rank Distributor Market
Total
Gross*
Movies
Tracked
Movies**
1 Disney 34.8% $2,631.6 10 7
2 NBC/Universal 15.1% $1,144.0 20 15
3 News Corporation (Fox) 11.2% $849.3 14 7
4 Time Warner (WB/New Line) 10.2% $768.0 25 14

or I imagine the ranking was about by looking only at the specialty division of the studios to WB at third (removing from Fox their Shape of Water / 3 billboard success that were mostly in 2018 and isle of dogs):

Rank Distributor Market
Total
Gross*
Movies
Tracked
Movies**
1 Buena Vista 34.8% $2,631.6 10 7
2 Universal 13.8% $1,046.5 12 10
3 Warner Bros. 10.2% $768.0 25 14
4 20th Century Fox 9.8% $738.7 11 6
5 Sony / Columbia 9.2% $692.2 15 10

Tiny bit above Fox but with 14 more movies counted and almost 250% the amount of new release.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1