sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

30 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Just noticed that WB is currently third domestically and with The Meg doing over $30m this weekend, they'll be at $800m domestic, impressive considering that they've not had any huge hits unlike Disney, Universal or Fox. I imagine they'll hit $1bn domestically by September.

Their biggest films are still to come. The Nun, A Star Is Born, Fantastic beasts and Aquaman

• Like 3

Just now, Steele131 said:

Their biggest films are still to come. The Nun, A Star Is Born, Fantastic beasts and Aquaman

Smallfoot could do good business at well and I wouldn't be surprised if The Mule gets a 2018 release

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Or the amount of release, by studio:

Rank Distributor Market
Total
Gross*
Movies
Tracked
Movies**
1 Disney 34.8% $2,631.6 10 7
2 NBC/Universal 15.1% $1,144.0 20 15
3 News Corporation (Fox) 11.2% $849.3 14 7
4 Time Warner (WB/New Line) 10.2% $768.0 25 14

or I imagine the ranking was about by looking only at the specialty division of the studios to WB at third (removing from Fox their Shape of Water / 3 billboard success that were mostly in 2018 and isle of dogs):

Rank Distributor Market
Total
Gross*
Movies
Tracked
Movies**
1 Buena Vista 34.8% $2,631.6 10 7
2 Universal 13.8% $1,046.5 12 10
3 Warner Bros. 10.2% $768.0 25 14
4 20th Century Fox 9.8% $738.7 11 6
5 Sony / Columbia 9.2% $692.2 15 10

Tiny bit above Fox but with 14 more movies counted and almost 250% the amount of new release.

WB has always released this many films, and we always knew this would be a down year. Next year though could be their biggest year ever

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Just noticed that WB is currently third domestically and with The Meg doing over $30m this weekend, they'll be at $800m domestic, impressive considering that they've not had any huge hits unlike Disney, Universal or Fox. I imagine they'll hit $1bn domestically by September.

and their main hits are coming. 

39 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Or the amount of release, by studio

one problem: here's the 6 old IMAX/3D documental movies + IMAX "Pandas" - all the limited releases (from 3 to 35 theatres).

And " 2001: A Space Odyssey" re-release in 4- 5 theatres (13 was during one week).

And "Detective Chinatown" in 115 theatres.

And "Dunkirk" re-issue.

So, we have 10 limited releases with 8,9 mln box-office. 

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

one problem: here's the 7 old IMAX/3D movies + IMAX "Pandas" in a small amount of thatre.

And " 2001:A Space Odyssey" re-release in 13 theatres.

Yeah looking at the list there is only 11 real 2018 release, still quite more than Fox 6 (half of those being small budget affair).

15 million OD for The Meg seems more that would be a debut between $35-$38 million opening weekend. Hopefully it gets a $40 million push or something, considering this one may have some decent enough legs going into the fall.

Slenderman may turn out like Blair Witch ‘16 did.

Blackkklansmen for its theatre count and the director and its budget. Hopefully it does lower to even mid teens. But $10-$13 million ow on a $15 million budget and $30 million would be good for it. 

It is pretty amazing to see how biased Deadline's report is against The MEG, especially compared to their take on Christopher Robin last week. You can tell they had already written a  'What Went Wrong' article counting on a giant flop, "The MEG is sinking" puns and so on. I wouldn't trust the amusingly precise number their "source" came up with for the net budget. But $350-400M sounds about right to breakeven, if China share is high.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is pretty amazing to see how biased Deadline's report is against The MEG, especially compared to their take on Christopher Robin last week. You can tell they had already written a  'What Went Wrong' article counting on a giant flop, "The MEG is sinking" puns and so on. I wouldn't trust the amusingly precise number their "source" came up with for the net budget. But $350-400M sounds about right to breakeven, if China share is high.

It's happened before, most notably with Tarzan when all the trades had the "How it flopped badly" articles ready to go and had to instead reconfigure them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Maybe, just maybe because MEG's budget is approx 2.5 times bigger and they'll both wind up making around he same domestically.

They do this "what went wrong" with every big budget under performer that will most likely lose money or barely break even - King Arthur, Ghost In The Shell, Solo, Skyscraper etc.  The whisper numbers come for every movie - even AM&TW had whisper numbers of a bigger budget and that movie is a nice solid hit.

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Maybe, just maybe because MEG's budget is approx 2.5 times bigger and they'll both wind up making around he same domestically.

They do this "what went wrong" with every big budget under performer that will most likely lose money or barely break even - King Arthur, Ghost In The Shell, Solo, Skyscraper etc.  The whisper numbers come for every movie - even AM&TW had whisper numbers of a bigger budget and that movie is a nice solid hit.

For me The Meg comes off as a fun blockbuster summer flick,  a good time at the movies.   Christopher Robin came off like a pretentious piece of Disney trash.  So I'm happy it took a pooh. 

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

39 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's happened before, most notably with Tarzan when all the trades had the "How it flopped badly" articles ready to go and had to instead reconfigure them.

Lazy ass bitches, I would NEVER. They should hire me instead.