MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

You need to not overdo it, to do it correctly, you need to have a high percentage of the lowest brown affair that you like, Michael Bay output being a good and frequent candidate.

For example going through is list, Cole really liked F9, Ford V Ferrari, Knive Out, Hobbs&Shaw, Spider Man Far From Home, Godzilla King of the Monsters, Shazam, Spider Man Into the Spider-Verse, Green Book, he gave a perfect score to Creed.

On the MCU, Doctor strange, AntMan, 

What list ? He gave a rotten to Ford v Ferrari and Godzila vs Kong. And F9 he "barely" liked it, he disliked Civil War as well etc.

And he liked Ant man and The wasp, he liked Dr Strange but mostly for the visuals.

Edited by Fox20

37 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You should probably try watching as many movies as Jake has before saying he has bad taste just because you disagree on 20 comic book movies lmao. 

Watching more movies certainly help but pity the guy who watched that many film and still come up with this ranking.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

David Sims seemed to really like it. On his list, he has it 9th overall. His ranking is admittedly wacky (Dark World at 10). But this should be a 4/5 from him on Letterboxd and a rave from The Atlantic 

He disliked BW and has it 22nd. 39/49 on his 2021 ranking 

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

Just now, Menor said:

I mean it's just a ranking, people have different opinions, I don't see the big deal. Also it seems like it was a combined ranking of the staff from what I read in the article? 

Yeah fair enough but the context @Jamiem shared the list was that if their assessment of 24 films is this, it doesn't really match with general audience.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah fair enough but the context @Jamiem shared the list was that if their assessment of 24 films is this, it doesn't really match with general audience.

A list made by a few people (especially a few critics) likely won't. And I don't really think having different opinions on the relative quality of the series makes the review any more or less valid. Yeah, this will likely be a hit with general audiences -- it's a well-reviewed Marvel movie. We don't need to analyze the list to know that. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

No, I probably shouldn’t. It would be an unnecessary and suboptimal use of my time compared to doing what I’d otherwise be doing (which does involve the occasional movie).    

But, to be clear, I’m not saying he necessarily has horrible taste in movies overall. That would be a silly thing to claim when a ranking of the MCU is literally the only thing I’ve been exposed to. My point is merely that this some next level horrendous taste in MCU movies.

I'm sure watching good movies is a more optimal use of your time than ranting about a critic you know nothing about. And all this huffing and puffing about taste doesn't change the fact that he's a critic who writes for a MC (and RT) approved site, while you don't.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm sure watching good movies is a more optimal use of your time than ranting about a critic you know nothing about. And all this huffing and puffing about taste doesn't change the fact that he's a critic who writes for a MC (and RT) approved site, while you don't.

I’ve not ranting my dude. I’m not “huffing and puffing.” I don’t have any interest in being an approved critic, so that’s a pretty odd non sequitur. You’re the one who seems oddly worked up here about defending the taste of some rando — I just pointed out that the list was an example of shit taste and you’re the one who turned this into a thing.  

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm sure he can come up with a better justification for that ranking than you can for whatever ranking you have lol. 

What a sad way to look at films. “This is higher because I like it more” is all the “justification” needed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

Welp, 

Hooolllllly shit. There’s bad taste, and there’s… whatever the hell this list is  :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

35 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Watching more movies certainly help but pity the guy who watched that many film and still come up with this ranking.

I know right? He's such a moron for not liking the same stuff you do. How dare he think differently from your own subjective opinions!

32 minutes ago, Menor said:

I mean it's just a ranking, people have different opinions, I don't see the big deal. Also it seems like it was a combined ranking of the staff from what I read in the article? 

Fanboys (across all fandoms, don't think I'm targeting MCU fans you nerds) are bizarrely insecure when others, especially movie critics, don't think exactly like them. I'm not entirely sure why this is such a big issue to these guys, when you consider the movies they drool over are beloved by millions and dominate the cultural conversation, but I guess if they need to feel as if the world is out to get them for whatever reason, then I guess that's their prerogative.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I guess the movie's first negative reaction? He's a MC approved critic probably will write Slant's review for the film.

2013 called, they want their hot take back.

• Thanks 1

It’s not “bizarrely insecure” to point out how terrible that list was. The only people who are coming off bizarrely insecure here are the ones with an odd need to “defend” critics (who I’m sure don’t care in the first place what bad taste in MCU movies I think they have 🤷‍♂️)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

I know right? He's such a moron for not liking the same stuff you do. How dare he think differently from your own subjective opinions!

Fanboys (across all fandoms, don't think I'm targeting MCU fans you nerds) are bizarrely insecure when others, especially movie critics, don't think exactly like them. I'm not entirely sure why this is such a big issue to these guys, when you consider the movies they drool over are beloved by millions and dominate the cultural conversation, but I guess if they need to feel as if the world is out to get them for whatever reason, then I guess that's their prerogative.

imo I think everybody knew Shang-Chi will have negative reactions too. The thing is Slant usually doesn't favor Marvel much so it's not that big of a concern. Suppose if some critics who usually like MCU had the same reaction then offcourse there would have been a problem.

Also, that reaction was more about MCU and less about Shang-Chi so 😅

• Like 2