MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

Nah, this is a fairly bad release date. Mid-September would be much better wrt Delta. Still, I guess I'm an optimist on this movie relative to the forum, but I'm pretty much prepared for any scenario here. Will probably be the most unpredictable release conditions ever for an MCU film (knock on wood). 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Think there's a unique opportunity here: opening early enough before Delta gets too bad, and a lack of competition from other people moving out of the way, I think the 45 Day angle works

Delta has either peaked, currently peaking or about to peak in all the heaviest hit areas.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Menor said:

Nah, this is a fairly bad release date. Mid-September would be much better wrt Delta. Still, I guess I'm an optimist on this movie relative to the forum, but I'm pretty much prepared for any scenario here. Will probably be the most unpredictable release conditions ever for an MCU film (knock on wood). 

If projections for covid cases hold then in the us and worldwide starting by mid-late aug we will be already on decline if that holds true then shang chi will be release when the world will be on decreacing cases

• Like 2

Yeah this will be a few weeks after the infection peak — but the reported case peak lags that, the hospitalization peak lags that, and the public awareness peak probably lags that. Sep 17 really would be pretty ideal now that V2 skedaddled but I understand it’s hard to move so close to release.

• Like 3

I feel like they're going all in on "Only in Theaters September 3" with no chance of delay or PA announcement because the box office numbers for this will play the biggest role in their final decisions re: how Eternals and Encanto will be released in November. 

Disney Hints at Regret: Too Late to Change ‘Shang-Chi’ Theatrical-Only Release Plan

“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” was announced months ago as Disney’s first MCU title of the pandemic era to get a theatrical-only release — but that’s not the decision the studio would make today.

On Disney’s August 12 Q2 earnings call, CEO Bob Chapek hinted that releasing “Shang-Chi” only in theaters is not a move the studio would make now, citing the “unfortunate” COVID resurgence that the studio didn’t see coming. (Just a few hours before the call Sony Pictures announced plans to delay the release of their “Venom” sequel by three weeks.)

The COVID delta variant surge means that a delay for “Shang-Chi” is not possible, the studio confirmed.

(...)

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/disney-shang-chi-release-same-date-theaters-only-1234657799/

Also it sounds like Disney's control over 20th Century only goes so far due to agreements that were made before the sale, which is likely why movies like The King's Man and Death on the Nile (long-delayed titles waiting to be finally put out of their misery) have no chance of getting day-and-date releases.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also it sounds like Disney's control over 20th Century only goes so far due to agreements that were made before the sale, which is likely why movies like The King's Man and Death on the Nile (long-delayed titles waiting to be finally put out of their misery) have no chance of getting day-and-date releases.

Oddly enough doesn't seem to impact Searchlight films though as Nomadland and Summer of Soul were both Hulu day and date releases. I'm sure part of the mess is that HBO Pay 1 contract that 20th Century made, I think it ends at the end of next year. 

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Disney Hints at Regret: Too Late to Change ‘Shang-Chi’ Theatrical-Only Release Plan

“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” was announced months ago as Disney’s first MCU title of the pandemic era to get a theatrical-only release — but that’s not the decision the studio would make today.

On Disney’s August 12 Q2 earnings call, CEO Bob Chapek hinted that releasing “Shang-Chi” only in theaters is not a move the studio would make now, citing the “unfortunate” COVID resurgence that the studio didn’t see coming. (Just a few hours before the call Sony Pictures announced plans to delay the release of their “Venom” sequel by three weeks.)

The COVID delta variant surge means that a delay for “Shang-Chi” is not possible, the studio confirmed.

(...)

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/disney-shang-chi-release-same-date-theaters-only-1234657799/

I am fucked. If this helps movie theaters, good. But I won’t be attending. Wait for the 45 days window (likely more in Brazil) begins.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I like DIS results. Its quite good. Also this means there is no chance of this going PA route. Which is also good news. 

I see theatrical listings already there for Shang Chi. Still showcount is not big but there is time if tickets are not going on sale till Monday. Of course with Delta uncertainties, people might hold off booking tickets early and so one cannot judge simply by early PS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

Yeah this will be a few weeks after the infection peak — but the reported case peak lags that, the hospitalization peak lags that, and the public awareness peak probably lags that. Sep 17 really would be pretty ideal now that V2 skedaddled but I understand it’s hard to move so close to release.

Thank you for posting this.  So much in the last few weeks by way too many is all painted through the doom and gloom of the present and not looking at all the data and experts that are pointing to a much brighter future only weeks away.  

Who wants to be the person that vacates a great date in October/November/December in mid-August if Delta does burn itself out and the US and world opens back up?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I like DIS results. Its quite good. Also this means there is no chance of this going PA route. Which is also good news. 

I see theatrical listings already there for Shang Chi. Still showcount is not big but there is time if tickets are not going on sale till Monday. Of course with Delta uncertainties, people might hold off booking tickets early and so one cannot judge simply by early PS. 

I like the results quite a bit for my six shares:Gaga: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Menor said:

Nah, this is a fairly bad release date

Why is 4 days holiday weekend and then open month without competition considered bad. I know CoVID but 60% folks are vaccinated and those who aren't basically don't care about virus. As long as cinemas remain open with 75%+ seating, thankfully there's theatrical exclusivity, I think it will be fine in USA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Why is 4 days holiday weekend and then open month without competition considered bad. I know CoVID but 60% folks are vaccinated and those who aren't basically don't care about virus. As long as cinemas remain open with 75%+ seating, thankfully there's theatrical exclusivity, I think it will be fine in USA.

It’s bad because of covid timing basically. The 60% who are vaccinated do care and are adjusting behavior some (more than really makes scientific sense, but 🤷‍♂️)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

It’s bad because of covid timing basically. The 60% who are vaccinated do care and are adjusting behavior some (more than really makes scientific sense, but 🤷‍♂️)

Yeah but those 60% probably don't matter. Shang Chi will probably has potential to watched by 25M folks i.e. just 6.5% of North America. What probably matter is how many of those 6.5% are vaccinated or are not freaking out unscientifically, which I believe would be way lower than national average.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah but those 60% probably don't matter. Shang Chi will probably has potential to watched by 25M folks i.e. just 6.5% of North America. What probably matter is how many of those 6.5% are vaccinated or are not freaking out unscientifically, which I believe would be way lower than national average.

Probably a pretty similar % of moviegoers are taking covid precautions as of overall population, I don’t really see who there would be a strong negative correlation there.

16 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Probably a pretty similar % of moviegoers are taking covid precautions as of overall population, I don’t really see who there would be a strong negative correlation there.

Since MCU demo is fairly young, I suppose national average of younger (under 30) folks will be closer to behaviour of film's demo. Which I think may be more scientific than the older generations. 

Though I am basing this on my personal experience in India, where younger people are more aware of CoVID and vaccine than the older ones.