The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I like Burning but it didn't have nearly the entertainment value of Parasite. I don't know if there was any push for The Handmaiden at all. 

Yeah, that's true but I honestly don't think Neon will do a good job pushing it even if they tried hard. Their biggest push till now, I Tonya managed to get three very important nominations but still failed to get a BP nomination (which was very, very odd especially since Hell or High Water made it in the previous year with a similar set of nominations).

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, that's true but I honestly don't think Neon will do a good job pushing it even if they tried hard. Their biggest push till now, I Tonya managed to get three very important nominations but still failed to get a BP nomination (which was very, very odd especially since Hell or High Water made it in the previous year with a similar set of nominations).

If the current voting system was still a concrete 10 nominees I, Tonya definitely would've been the last nominee. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

2017 was fairly cutthroat for Oscar nominees. Especially since it got a win out of Janney, it probably did as well as it could have. The fact that it was the first year the studio was releasing films also counts for something.

Neon seems to be following a somewhat similar trajectory to A24 as it grows as a studio, albeit with a less truly distinct lineup of films.

A24 scored its first BP nom with Room in the third year it was releasing things, which would put Neon on a similar pace. The hype is definitely there, and I don't think Neon has anything else to push all the way. (Where they go with POALOF remains to be seen)

Right now I'm liking Parasite's chances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I like Burning but it didn't have nearly the entertainment value of Parasite. I don't know if there was any push for The Handmaiden at all. 

Burning and The Handmaiden also came from relatively very small studios, especially the former. The latter also wasn't selected by South Korea to submit for the category for god knows what reason, so it got a very minimal push aside from love from critics.

handmaiden probably could've made a run for the foreign language film oscar had it been submitted since that was a weak year in the category. farhadi won his second for a much weaker film ENTIRELY because of that travel ban stuff. at the grand bell awards, essentially the korean oscars, that year the handmaiden was totally snubbed across the board zero nominations. so their film industry clearly had some kind of beef with it. but yeah all of that totally deflated any sort of campaign that movie was gonna have.

AND Neon getting parasite is a good sign to me. if any bigger studio had gotten it they would've been content with pushing it for the International Film award and that's it, it wouldn't be their #1 push. But quotes from the head of Neon seem to indicate that Parasite IS getting an across the board all-categories push from them because it's their #1 movie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

AND Neon getting parasite is a good sign to me. if any bigger studio had gotten it they would've been content with pushing it for the International Film award and that's it, it wouldn't be their #1 push. But quotes from the head of Neon seem to indicate that Parasite IS getting an across the board all-categories push from them because it's their #1 movie.

That's a great point. Amazon was able to get their film Cold War three nominations because, as evident by that film being the only one of theirs that got nominations, they clearly treated it like their biggest push.

It was easier for Neon in 2017 because I, Tonya was their only big bet. 2018 was more of a struggle because they juggled campaigns for Vox Lux, the documentary Three Identical Strangers, and the Swedish film Border (which landed a makeup nom) none of which had any sort of wow factor.

But this year... Parasite has that wow factor.

Watched the trailer for Parasite, it's definitely not going to get the "nothing happened, I feel asleep it was so boring" complaints you saw about Roma in the Honest Oscar Ballots last year.  Neon don't have Netflix money but maybe Parasite being more accessible will make up for it?

On 9/1/2019 at 10:47 AM, filmlover said:

I dunno, said it in the movie's thread but I think Gone Girl is a pretty fair comparison here. That also opened the first weekend of October and became both one of the biggest and most talked about movies of the year, on top of strong reviews and Fincher's previous three movies scoring major Oscar attention, but in the end found itself completely shut out aside from a Best Actress nom on the morning of nominations, most likely because the movie was too firmly rooted in a genre they haven't cared much for in the past. Granted we've seen comic book movies getting above the line nods in recent years between Logan's Adapted Screenplay nom two years ago (even if it was really helped by that category being super dead that year - who knows what would've won in that group had Call Me by Your Name been an original script) and of course Black Panther scoring a Best Picture nom last year thanks to a lot of below the line support, but Joker will almost certainly be a more controversial movie than either of those, so at the moment, I'm not betting on anything other than Actor and maybe a tech nom or two.

Joker is about a guy, hate to say it, but that improves the chances Oscar voters could see it as "worthy" of a Best Picture nomination compared to something with an evil/complicated woman as lead, the sort of movie which often "shockingly" ends up being relegated to the acting/tech categories. Unfortunately there are some voters who seem to find it harder to view a movie about women being "important" enough for Best Picture, not always, but a lot of the surprise BP snubs or just misses in recent years are female-centered. Not that a woman can't be in it, but too feminine and it's a "problem" for its Oscar chances (lol I still don't understand how Shape of Water won it all).

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

TIFF starts in less than 48 hours. Here's when the major titles will be screening:

Friday: Just Mercy

Saturday: Abominable, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Dolemite is My Name, Hustlers, Knives Out

Sunday: The Goldfinch, Jojo Rabbit

Tuesday: Harriet

Wednesday: Lucy in the Sky

Clearly Saturday is the biggest day. Think that's when I'm seeing IT Chapter Two so hopefully there will be a ton of good reactions afterwards.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 7:05 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Watched the trailer for Parasite, it's definitely not going to get the "nothing happened, I feel asleep it was so boring" complaints you saw about Roma in the Honest Oscar Ballots last year. 

Completely agree with this. Haneke or Pawlikowski are not exactly right comparisons. Bong is and has always been a commercial filmmaker, the most common comparison/praise western critics have thrown his way is Spielberg. His movies have the same language/culture barrier that all foreign films have, but will go down a lot easier with oscar voters that groan at the thought of watching a movie with subtitles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Joker gets the Golden Lion, it may not win, but a Best Picture nomination seems extremely likely now.

I think WB will push both Joker and Just Mercy awards wise, the latter will likely get nominations for Jamie Foxx. Has a studio ever had more than one film in the best picture category? 

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Has a studio ever had more than one film in the best picture category? 

yes it happens a lot actually. not last year. but 2017 had 2 fox searchlight and 2 focus features movies nominated. 2016 2 lionsgate and 2 paramount movies were nominated. 2015 two fox movies were nominated etc, etc.

that said for warner bros i'd bet only joker of the two actually gets nominated.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yes it happens a lot actually. not last year. but 2017 had 2 fox searchlight and 2 focus features movies nominated. 2016 2 lionsgate and 2 paramount movies were nominated. 2015 two fox movies were nominated etc, etc.

that said for warner bros i'd bet only joker of the two actually gets nominated.

I think Just Mercy’s best shot is supporting actor with Jamie Foxx and Rob Morgan. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think WB will push both Joker and Just Mercy awards wise, the latter will likely get nominations for Jamie Foxx. Has a studio ever had more than one film in the best picture category? 

In 2016, Paramount had Arrival and Fences. In 2017, Fox Searchlight had Shape of Water and Three Billboards, while Focus Features had Darkest Hour and Phantom Thread.

• Like 1

Extremely here for a weird ass Oscar season with Knives Out, Hustlers, and Joker getting real Best Picture play. Especially the former two.

Taking Just Mercy out, but keeping Foxx in and right on the fence with Jordan - will wait to hear Toronto reactions to Murphy/Sandler/Bale/Pryce and then Irishman.

• Like 1

1. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

2. Joker

3. Marriage Story

4. Parasite

5. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

6. The Farewell

7. The Irishman

8. Jojo Rabbit

9. Little Women

10. The Two Popes

with Just Mercy, the Ferrari movie and Ad Astra just on the outside. got Neighborhood at number one for now just because it seems like the kind of thing that's a pleasant, broadly appealing consensus choice. Joker at number two for the chaos choice. and i think marriage story and parasite will win the bulk of the critics awards.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Jojo and Harriet out, Little Women and Knives Out in

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

The Farewell

The Irishman

Knives Out

Little Women

Marriage Story

Parasite

Joker

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Just Outside: Just Mercy, Harriet, Hustlers, The Two Popes, Ford v Ferrari, Ad Astra, Waves

Edited by The Panda