Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

38 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

At this point, it seems as if WB expects Tenet to be a major loss for them. That's unfortunate. Anyway, if it sticks to it's August 26th date for OS then who knows what it makes. I'm guessing in the US, for some states, it will be a drive-in exclusive only which will severely limit its gross.

Since some people are so insistent on the idea that the movie would need to make $800 million just to break even, chances are that it would’ve been perceived as a financial disappointment no matter what. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Since some people are so insistent on the idea that the movie would need to make $800 million just to break even, chances are that it would’ve been perceived as a financial disappointment no matter what. 

I doubt people would insist on that idea post release.

Can you imagine calling Tenet breaking the billion dollar bar a financial disappointment, even in normal time........ (and in some article before you called Trolls a success with $0)

Edited by Barnack

56 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t believe that break even figure for a second. The highest grossing original Nolan film is Inception with $829 million worldwide, I really can’t imagine WB signing off on a film with a break even of $800 million, even from Nolan, it’d have been in the red even without COVID.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I can’t believe that break even figure for a second. The highest grossing original Nolan film is Inception with $829 million worldwide, I really can’t imagine WB signing off on a film with a break even of $800 million, even from Nolan, it’d have been in the red even without COVID.

That figure probably calculates all profit participation, etc and should be taken in the context of total gross (theatrical and ancillary). So yeah, it’s dodgy for them to use it only in the context of a theatrical release. 

23 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

That figure probably calculates all profit participation, etc and should be taken in the context of total gross (theatrical and ancillary). So yeah, it’s dodgy for them to use it only in the context of a theatrical release. 

That would be extremely unlikely (many ancillary gross sales would make very little sense, imagine talking about gross sales of licensing deal that the studio get 5% of the gross sales from).

If it is where I think it is from That figure was not using profit participation and was not talking about the movie break even point, but the strange break even from theatrical revenues alone estimate that we often seen talked about in box office space for some obscure reason, by now it is not a vestige of people covering of the box office before television became popular in the 50s. 

And that usually never take into account profit participation or in the case of a Nolan movie gross participation, not profit, doing so would lead to numbers way to big, they need really big numbers but not that big to make their article.

35 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Just to put in context how ridiculous it would be, if Nolan and all other people involved are just getting 30% of the profit pass that mark, how much would the movie need to make to make a 20% profit return for WB and make them say just $80 million in profit ?

If it take 800m at the BO to one day generate $400m back and that your first $200M dom tend to be more money than the next 200M and so on, we could be easily talking to need over 1025 million at the WW BO to not be a financial disappointment if the BE point is at 800M and more than that to be a success.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

To be fair that was over a decade ago. Inception would be an easy Billie hit in the marketplace if 2019/2019

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Nolan is by far WB's most consistent brand, lol

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

And because inflation undercounts actual growth, this supports it being an easy Billie in the modern (pre-covid) marketplace.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you haha. I just meant it was already so close just based on ticket sales, with said actual growth it would have hit it for sure. Esp. with how big foreign markets like China got.

• Like 1

Studio insiders said the espionage epic will go out first overseas, where cinemas have reopened in many European and Asian countries, and have begun to reopen in China. Tenet hopes to arrive in the U.S. in the first part of September, even if only in select cities. Sources stress the situation is fluid, however.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tenet-tosses-playbook-staggered-rollout-may-be-new-box-office-normal-1303932?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, antovolk said:

They're gonna do what Netflix did with The Cloverfield Paradox, except in cinemas...

For non-US countries, they'll play ads before, during and at the end of the Champions League Final on the 23rd of August, saying it's opening that night (opening Monday at 00:01 is "unconventional")

13 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

They're gonna do what Netflix did with The Cloverfield Paradox, except in cinemas...

For non-US countries, they'll play ads before, during and at the end of the Champions League Final on the 23rd of August, saying it's opening that night (opening Monday at 00:01 is "unconventional")

I think for markets and cities that aren't open - including US states - they go all in with 'cinema is back with Tenet' messaging, promoting cinema reopenings. Apparently though domestically they will be cutting down on national TV and outdoor.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I wonder when the Mulan (and likely the entire Disney slate) delay will be announced. Can't be too much longer now, probably Friday?

Mulan to November seems likely with Black Widow to February, The Eternals to May and Shang-Chi to July. If anything due to the latter two needing more time to resume filming and post production.

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Damn we going back to 1970s release schedules - gotta love it. 

I’ve been thinking this every single time WB parrots this “tossing out the rule book” phrase. Didn’t they do exactly this kind of thing decades ago? I’m sure the original Star Wars employed a similar sort of roll out, opening small in one city and then moving to another as it gradually goes wider.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’ve been thinking this every single time WB parrots this “tossing out the rule book” phrase. Didn’t they do exactly this kind of thing decades ago? I’m sure the original Star Wars employed a similar sort of roll out, opening small in one city and then moving to another as it gradually goes wider.

Everyone did. JAWS opened in 700 theaters, I think, and that was considered “wide”. 

• Thanks 1