Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

I’ve always thought that it would be a good idea to go back to the old “slow rollout” release style. Hypothetically it could create interest among people that feel they are missing out which in turn drives more hype and more people in the seats. You would have to push the streaming/Blu-ray releases back from their current 3 month after standard to at least 6 months or something. These days a lot of people will just shrug and say “ah it’ll be on  *streaming service* in a couple months” but if you change that up maybe they’d be less willing to wait if they are hearing good things. Though Hollywood likes that instant gratification even if it could be more fruitful in the long run so I doubt if this style is adapted it would last very long after the pandemic subsided.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Theoretically Mulan bumping Black Widow out of November wouldn't necessarily mean it'd have to be to February. They could move Mulan to early November and Black Widow to Christmas

No way Disney moves Black Widow to Christmas if they bump it because, as things stand, it won't get IMAX and PLF thanks to the movies already at Christmas namely Dune and Top Gun. That can be a huge deal for a CBM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I’ve always thought that it would be a good idea to go back to the old “slow rollout” release style. Hypothetically it could create interest among people that feel they are missing out which in turn drives more hype and more people in the seats. You would have to push the streaming/Blu-ray releases back from their current 3 month after standard to at least 6 months or something. These days a lot of people will just shrug and say “ah it’ll be on  *streaming service* in a couple months” but if you change that up maybe they’d be less willing to wait if they are hearing good things. Though Hollywood likes that instant gratification even if it could be more fruitful in the long run so I doubt if this style is adapted it would last very long after the pandemic subsided.

Howdy, stranger. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

No way Disney moves Black Widow to Christmas if they bump it because, as things stand, it won't get IMAX and PLF thanks to the movies already at Christmas namely Dune and Top Gun. That can be a huge deal for a CBM.

I think people are really, really overestimating Dune's chances at wide appeal to audiences. It'll be this years Blade Runner 2049.

41 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I think people are really, really overestimating Dune's chances at wide appeal to audiences. It'll be this years Blade Runner 2049.

It's not about the money it will make, it will block off PLF screens, and Top Gun will block IMAX screens. 

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

It's still a universe-introducing fantasy/adventure epic with a large cast rather than a long, quiet and moody sci-fi neo-noir whose effect depends partly on familiarity with a 35-year-old movie. It should be able to perform closer to Fury Road and Tron Legacy unless for whatever reason it just completely fails to connect. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I’ve always thought that it would be a good idea to go back to the old “slow rollout” release style. Hypothetically it could create interest among people that feel they are missing out which in turn drives more hype and more people in the seats. You would have to push the streaming/Blu-ray releases back from their current 3 month after standard to at least 6 months or something.

Depending of how back and slow we are talking about (back in the days home media release was year's after and the theatrical rollout could take year's).

For example the VHS/laserdisc release of E.T. was in october 1988 that movie release started in june of 1982. It is hard to imagine without the logistic of prints and the quasi non existence of the home media option something anywhere close to slow burn theatrical rollout and long lived relevant life on that window.

Going back to a 6 month windows that going back to what early 2000s windows ?

A green book type of release for a big movie would be an interesting to see, but that seem a bad idea during a pandemy.

A geographical roll out of where covid is down so you get calm covid city getting it one after the other, very different time, that would be strange in today world and interesting to see.

52 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's not about the money it will make, it will block off PLF screens, and Top Gun will block IMAX screens. 

That's assuming any of these movies still open over the holidays. Top Gun in particular would be better off moving to next summer since it's aimed at an older than usual crowd for an action sequel.

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's still a universe-introducing fantasy/adventure epic with a large cast rather than a long, quiet and moody sci-fi neo-noir whose effect depends partly on familiarity with a 35-year-old movie. It should be able to perform closer to Fury Road and Tron Legacy unless for whatever reason it just completely fails to connect. 

Mad Max and Tron are pretty recognizable franchises with a history of box office success. Dune is not.

I'm assuming the only way WW doesn't is if Tenet bombs and the pandemic is still raging on badly a year from now. At that point WB might be wanting to just salvage what they can to make some money. So he leaves himself some wiggle room for that.

• Like 1