Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there.

"It’s important that any reporting about Tenet reflects the unique circumstances surrounding its release”

“fair coverage should reflect that [the reporters covering the industry need us to succeed]”

9 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Are you looking for an example better than Batman v. Superman DoJ? The trailer gave everything away. Fans were upset and called that nothing was left to be revealed in the film. They were right with a minor caveat (they assumed a death that wasn't shown but did in fact happen).  I'm not sure anyone from a competitor trying to do harm to DC could have put together a better 3 minute supercut of spoilers than the official trailer. Was that the only reason the film disappointed? No, probably not. It had to have been a factor, though.

The thing that sank BvS was the absolutely toxic word of mouth from the people who saw it on opening day. I worked in a cinema during BvS’s release and on opening weekend you could actually see the drop off happening in real time as the weekend went on.

After exploding out of the gate on opening day, it died faster than any film I’ve ever seen. By Sunday it felt like a “normal” Sunday in terms of crowds, we were sending staff home early and asking them not to come in (if they wanted the day off) to minimise staffing costs, which is categorically not what you’d expect to be happening on the opening weekend of an expected blockbuster.

• Like 3

This game of chicken isn't working.  The Virus is winning.   Move it to July 2021 and if a slot opens up earlier and things change, OK but that gives you the breathing room to make a decision instead of this 2 week, 2 week, 2 week.   It was getting pointless.  I'm happy they are looking at this logically as cases rise in the US.  Indefinitely is the best way to go or as I said July 2021.  

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Yeah, just push it to 2021. WB is being myopic here and they aren’t doing theaters any favors with their wiffle-waffling.

imo that's kind of an American-centric viewpoint. Theatres overseas need content, not just the few thousand locations in the United States. Release it internationally in places where it is safer to do so, and play it market-by-market. We're in a unique situation where, since movie theatres have been shut for so long, it'll be part of the 'experience' to actually go out and see this whenever it releases in someone's market. I honestly don't think it would be quite as hurt by streaming or downloading as much as if it were, say, a 2018 movie that did such a release. 

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

imo that's kind of an American-centric viewpoint. Theatres overseas need content, not just the few thousand locations in the United States. Release it internationally in places where it is safer to do so, and play it market-by-market. We're in a unique situation where, since movie theatres have been shut for so long, it'll be part of the 'experience' to actually go out and see this whenever it releases in someone's market. I honestly don't think it would be quite as hurt by streaming or downloading as much as if it were, say, a 2018 movie that did such a release. 

Indeed, it’s really a SoCal-centric view right now. :lol: Sure, open it overseas in safe markets. 

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Why exactly is that Dan Solomon guy so angry? In particular, why is he mad at WB’s statement about how the breakeven point for this movie isn’t $800 million?

It feels (to me) that WB has played this whole thing terribly — with this movie at least. It seems clear that they’re trying to placate Nolan, and his weird attitude of trying to be cinema’s savior is just tone deaf. At an absolute minimum, it’s kind of a PR clusterfuck, WB has no one to blame but themselves, and their insistence at trying to claim otherwise just seems awkward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It feels (to me) that WB has played this whole thing terribly — with this movie at least. It seems clear that they’re trying to placate Nolan, and his weird attitude of trying to be cinema’s savior is just tone deaf. At an absolute minimum, it’s kind of a PR clusterfuck, WB has no one to blame but themselves, and their insistence at trying to claim otherwise just seems awkward. 

But why is it only this movie that’s been causing any kind of significant controversy over this? It’s not exactly the only movie that was scheduled to be released in August. Hell, there’s currently still a movie that’s scheduled to be released on July 31. Does film Twitter just really have it out for Christopher Nolan?

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

"It’s important that any reporting about Tenet reflects the unique circumstances surrounding its release”

“fair coverage should reflect that [the reporters covering the industry need us to succeed]”

And ? I do not follow why does that make statement of people suspicious that some reviewers that gain paid travel/access to talent-set/early access to the content/big party premiere and so on can be unconsciously or in a calculated way biased, bullshit ?

Arguably it do show how soft journalist all that type of journalism can tend to be (sport, movies, video games, etc...)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

But why is it only this movie that’s been causing any kind of significant controversy over this? It’s not exactly the only movie that was scheduled to be released in August. Hell, there’s currently still a movie that’s scheduled to be released on July 31. Does film Twitter just really have it out for Christopher Nolan?

Nolan is the only one who seems to be pushing the agenda of being the “saviour of cinema”. Russell Crowe and the people behind Unhinged haven’t been coming over all sanctimonious as if they’re saving theatres by releasing their film. That’s the difference.

I’ve got to admit, as a fan of Nolan’s movies, this whole pushing for theatres to open before it’s safe to do so has put me off him slightly. It’s arrogant and very tone deaf to the situation we’re currently in.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Nolan is the only one who seems to be pushing the agenda of being the “saviour of cinema”. Russell Crowe and the people behind Unhinged haven’t been coming over all sanctimonious as if they’re saving theatres by releasing their film. That’s the difference.

I’ve got to admit, as a fan of Nolan’s movies, this whole pushing for theatres to open before it’s safe to do so has put me off him slightly. It’s arrogant and very tone deaf to the situation we’re currently in.

It’s not like Nolan has been touting his film as the thing that will save movie theaters. The most that’s been said on the matter is that he wants to support theater chains, because he views them as an important part of life. 

Besides, keep in mind that before the lockdowns started, Unhinged was supposed to be released in September. It got moved to where it currently is because the studio wanted it to be the first post-COVID-19 movie to get released in American theaters.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The truth is Unhinged and Mulan have been following Tenet's lead. Chances are those would have come out later, but Nolan was pretty clear about wanting Tenet out first and being the savior of cinema to stroke his ego. I love Nolan, but he has been the whole face of release movies ASAP as long as the states let us.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

And also, the entire industry including other studios and theatre owners have been keeping an eye on Tenet and making their plans based on it almost entirely. There’s a reason Unhinged moved when Tenet did from July to Aug.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s not like Nolan has been touting his film as the thing that will save movie theaters. The most that’s been said on the matter is that he wants to support theater chains, because he views them as an important part of life. 

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere where he said something to that extent of wanting to be the one that saved movie theaters. I'm pretty sure it was in an interview on Deadline or something

• Like 1

I don't think you're gonna find a direct quote on Nolan wanting to the 'savior of Cinema', explicitly at most, having their film ready to release to be a product for theaters to offer when they 'welcome back audiences'

Obviously mega biased but I don't know if it's ego so much as being so warped out of reality that theatrical exhibition is somehow in the same ballpark as human lives.

• Like 2