Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

17 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's true. But even with the virus, a franchise movie with a ton of hype would still open a lot bigger than what we're seeing with Tenet. 

Again, you don’t know that. This has never happened before. 

17 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

There’s already rumours circulating that they’re about to announce WW84 is moving to Christmas and Dune to 2021.

At this stage, even if Tenet opens well in the US, I think they’d still be better off doing that rather than opening WW84 in just over a months time. If they want Tenet to have decent legs, WB won’t want to essentially be competing with themselves with WW84 taking the majority of Tenet’s screens in 4 weeks time. Plus, California and NY might not even open until mid-September at the earliest, so what would ordinarily be the biggest US markets would only get 2-3 weeks of play before WW84. Regardless of the virus situation, they’d be fools not to delay WW84.

Those rumours yesterday came from Grace Randolph.... 

She might be right though. We’ll see next week I’m sure. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The sound mixing in his films is great  and most people don't seem to have a big problem with understanding the dialogue. And it does work to create a realistic soundscape. I also think Nolan has specifically said that this is how he likes to mix his films and hasn't really blamed it on cinemas. Comparing it to the lighting of Solo is a joke.

The sound has been a big complaint amongst social media. This is the only film i can think of where the sound became annoying and too loud. It was unnecessary 

I think people expecting this to be the box office saviour obviously are yet to see this. The WOM isn't great. Its not the fact its confusing thats the problem, its that its just too boring to invest yourself in. Inception this is not. I admire the climax but Looper did it better

Edited by Harry Poppins

58 minutes ago, Harry Poppins said:

The sound has been a big complaint amongst social media. This is the only film i can think of where the sound became annoying and too loud. It was unnecessary 

The exact same complaints were made about Interstellar when it released. lots and lots of people complained about the sound mixing because they couldn't hear the dialogue. There was a running joke about it being oscar-nominated for sound mixing.

17 minutes ago, Michael Seng Wah said:

This will likely be the first Nolan directed film after TDK trilogy that will not get CERTIFIED FRESH.

After 170+ reviews and it seems they are still waiting it to drop below 75%.

Beyond that, I think it'll be his first film since Following to not be certified fresh?

2 minutes ago, Michael Seng Wah said:

Following is not certified fresh at 82% because there’s only 28 reviews.

Yes. But say we exclude that, it's his first non certified fresh studio film, ever. Bad time for his possibly weakest reviewed film considering the circumstances of the release

Edited by MrPink

This isn't going anywhere beyond techs during awards season even with a super leggy run (who knows what staying power will look like in the pandemic era). Dune and (assuming it's released before the deadline) Judas & the Black Messiah will be WB's main contenders in all likelihood.

36 minutes ago, tree said:

The exact same complaints were made about Interstellar when it released. lots and lots of people complained about the sound mixing because they couldn't hear the dialogue. There was a running joke about it being oscar-nominated for sound mixing.

True but not to this extent. Atleast Interstellar's score added to the movie (atleast for me anyway). In this it just seemed out of place. The time mechanics were fun at times but the main problem is the plot just really isn't all the interesting or engaging. It ends up being the sort of movie film lovers will admire for the ambition and originality of its mechanics and how well its shot whilst less enthusiastic movie goers may struggle to really connect.

Atleast Incecption had Cobb's story at its heart to give viewers a reason to care and engage, i found thats what is lacking in Tenet which is a shame because the cast were really good.