TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

14 minutes ago, Tom Swelling said:

Wonder Woman made over 400 million domestic and has a 93% certified fresh score on rotten tomatoes. I mean, there's no way in hell WW84 beats either of those measurements. It will make over a billion worldwide because of overseas markets. I can see it growing worldwide although I suspect much more mixed reviews. 

Why would it get more mixed reviews? Do you think Patty Jenkins doesn't know what she's doing now that she effectively has full control?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

Why would it get more mixed reviews? Do you think Patty Jenkins doesn't know what she's doing now that she effectively has full control?

Regression to the mean is a powerful dynamic to overcome. Not, like, impossible -- but tough.

• Like 1

The Best of Enemies is not doing too great.

I think that movie is probably suffers from being released at the worst possible time. You got all these loons marching in tiki torches and a dude recently shooting up people and reports of white supremacy and hate crimes increasing and the movie goes with the whole kumbaya with the KKK maybe you'll change him..right.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

2 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

I think that movie is probably suffers from being released at the worst possible time. You got all these loons marching in tiki torches and a dude recently shooting up people and reports of white supremacy and hate crimes increasing and the movie goes with the whole kumbaya with the KKK maybe you'll change him..right.

It was released in 1705 theaters...that seems kind of low for a 'wide' release. We didn't get it here (surprisingly). I'd have thought they wanted to ride on Green Book's coattail's

1 hour ago, Aplandg said:

WW84 is crossing $500m dom

That’s gonna be a no for me dawg. 

No way it surpasses the gross of the first. That was a one time event. You think it’s legs were due to the movie being that good ? It was decent ... but it was an event. It’ll have a great OW of around 135 or so probably and end at 330-390.

They were lukewarm on it overseas before and I don’t see that changing. It’s a 750-850M movie. I wasn’t impressed with their casting for for Cheetah character and neither I am impressed with them shoehorning Pine in there to hold Gadot’s hands again throughout the movie. 

Edited by Iron Raf
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

52 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Wonder Woman and Black Panther sequels.

Both gonna drop.

Black Panther is going to drop to at least 500M DOM or so this time around. Wonder Woman probably 330-350M...... if it’s good. 

• ...wtf 1

53 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

To be fair, it began shooting in early 2017 before Charlottesville even happened. Been sitting on the shelf for a while. I doubt Sam Rockwell would've agreed to playing this kind of role again so soon after Three Billboards if he knew he was gonna win an Oscar within the following year after this was made.

51 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Regression to the mean is a powerful dynamic to overcome. Not, like, impossible -- but tough.

I don't think it works like that.

Let's look at various superhero characters who have had the same director for multiple films, and then look at their first two films for that character.

Richard Donner (Superman 1&2)

Tim Burton (Batman 1&2)

Joel Schumacher (Batman 3&4)

Bryan Singer (X-Men 1&2)

Sam Raimi (Spider-Man 1&2)

Guillermo Del Tor (Hellboy 1&2)

Christopher Nolan (TDK 1&2)
Brad Bird (Incredibles 1&2)

Tim Story (Fantastic Four 1&2)

Jon Favreau (Iron-Man 1&2)

Joss Whedon (Avengers 1&2)

Marc Webb (TASM 1&2)

Zack Snyder (MoS&BvS)

James Mangold (Wolverine 2&3)

The Russos (Captain America 2&3)

James Gunn (GotG 1&2)

Peyton Reed (Ant-Man 1&2)

Those are all the ones I could find. If you can think of others, mention them.

Anyway, I've bolded the ones that have a better RT% in the second film noted. 

In all, 9 saw an increase in the RT%, while 8 saw a decrease. About 50/50. Beyond that, many of them were remarkably consistent, with the rating often within a few % points (whether higher or lower). Essentially, directors will often keep doing their work at pretty much the same level, it seems.

And then look at Favs, Joss, Webb, and Snyder. (And arguably Gunn, too.) They all, in their second films, were tasked with setting up an expansion to the scope of the franchise. This task happened largely at the detriment of the films themselves. 

Those directors who apparently had greater control in what they did in film two seem like they'd see an increase more often than not.

Jenkins clearly has more clout and is thus able to do pretty much what she wants, here. She probably doesn't have to set up anything in future films, either, since DC seems to have abandoned that.

Even if there is a drop in RT%, it's probably going to be pretty minor, and even then could be just statistical noise because of some random factors (who reviews the film, how they're feeling that day, etc.) Even then, it's not likely to affect the reception of the film to a large degree. 

• Astonished 1