Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

25 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What are the films that should/could have had a new record OW but didn't because they were released on a Wednesday  ?

Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith come to mind.

Any other ?

JP3.

$50.77 million OW after burning through $30.6 million Mid-week vs. the $72.1 million OW record held by TLW.

If JP3 had opened on a Friday, all JP movies from the original to Jurassic World would have broken the OW record - 4 out of 4. Fallen Kingdom was the first film in that franchise to genuinely have no chance at the record.

• Like 5

Yeah, Matrix Reloaded, Spider-Man 2, and Revenge of the Sith probably all would’ve broken the record had they opened on a Friday. I’m not sure if Eclipse and Transformers 2 would have but they would’ve definitely come very close.

EDIT: Makes me wonder why midweek openings were such a hot commodity in the mid-2000’s through early 2010’s. I guess studios mindset was “hey we might not take the OW record but we can get a nice headline being the top Wednesday or Thursday opener”

Edited by Mango

I think if you try to compare Endgame and Game of Thrones viewership this weekend you’re just looking like a fool.

One of them is a PG-13 super hero movie that’s releasing in theaters

The other is an Adult drama TV show the majority of viewers watch illegally (so hard to factor them into rating)

All you have to do is acknowledge the fact they’re both the biggest thing in their respective mediums right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Not me. I still remember when people were amazed by the opening weekend for TDK

I remember that too. TDK was quite the run. Even when it hit $500M we were all blown away. Heck, I remember the Monday's number coming in and people being shocked.

• Like 2

Just now, Assumption said:

How much should Avengers 5 be realistically expected to open to?

Depends on when it's released, and whether or not Phase 4 builds up to it or it's just an Ultron. Phase 4 will be 5 years, so it has the potential to be, probably not as big as EG, but maybe $280M. 

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

ROTF is the one midweek opening I'm grateful for cause it prevented the garish spectacle of it taking the OW record. 

But that Wednesday figure is still ridiculous even 10 years later.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I remember that too. TDK was quite the run. Even when it hit $500M we were all blown away. Heck, I remember the Monday's number coming in and people being shocked.

Monday number was arguably even crazier than the weekend's. I think that's when there was no more doubt about 500m. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Monday number was arguably even crazier than the weekend's. I think that's when there was no more doubt about 500m. 

Wasn't there a guy who was bullshitting about 25m? And then it turned out to be true?

And Showbizdata, delivering the goods back then on the weekdays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

midweek openings ruled. seeing movies on a school night? hell yeah. i guess all the kids are doing that now because of the earlier previews.

I wouldn’t trade ROTK opening night for it being the first $100m December OW 12 years before TFA. I will always remember going straight from school to the theater with my advance tickets and waiting there for several hours. I can’t even remember how I managed to have all my homework done. (This was high school.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Assumption said:

How much should Avengers 5 be realistically expected to open to?

It’d be hard to set even semi-realistic expectations for a movie probably not coming out for at least another 5 years or so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Wasn't there a guy who was bullshitting about 25m? And then it turned out to be true?

And Showbizdata, delivering the goods back then on the weekdays.

Was before my time on the forums alas

5 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I think if you try to compare Endgame and Game of Thrones viewership this weekend you’re just looking like a fool.

One of them is a PG-13 super hero movie that’s releasing in theaters

The other is an Adult drama TV show the majority of viewers watch illegally (so hard to factor them into rating)

All you have to do is acknowledge the fact they’re both the biggest thing in their respective mediums right now.

Moreover, with the time zone differences 9PM EST/6PM PST, and with HBO airing the episode again after John Oliver, it is pretty easy for someone — on either coast — to watch both on   Sunday. 

That said, I am curious at what HBO reports. I could see the live episode being lower, but the overall (steaming, DVR, etc) being consistent with this season. 

• Like 1