Eric S'ennui

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

Endgame is a film that one needs to let sink in...... There's a phenomenal amount to absorb, and just like with IW I think people will enjoy it more and more with each rewatch.

One draw back to the otherwise fantastic marketing campaign is that since no one knows what to expect going in, the amount of shocks is overwhelming.

• Like 3

Just now, PPZVGOS said:

You are definitely in the extreme minority. 

I really dont think so tho.

If you look at critics and audience reviews across the world on different metrics (the box office reddit is doing a wonderful job updating that) Endgame is consistantly scoring higher than Infinity War. 

• Like 1

I might be in the minority here but I thought Infinity War was kind of bad and Endgame was really good, maybe on the verge of great (need a rewatch but the biggest detractor for me at the moment is the action which just gets tiring).

Infinity War - 4/10 

Endgame - 7/10, maybe 8 (6th best superhero movie ever and second best MCU movie)

David Erhlich gives a perfect summation of my opinions on both films.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

ROTJ is nonsense.

’A legion of my best troops await them.’

Proceeds to get by a bunch of small bears with wood-sticks and rocks. 

When I was a teen, I wanted to believe that ROTJ is just a flawed masterpiece, that it was just the Ewoks that spoil an otherwise great Star Wars movie. 

But no, ROTJ is bad overall, almost Prequel Trilogy bad. 

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I don't understand the Infinity War love. I understand why they did it and I understand that people love nonstop action. But nearly the entire time I watched it always expecting something bad to happen which did. Did felt like deathly hallows part 1 to me. Depressing moody and incomplete.

I mean Jesus I was happier after the end of venom and he eats people.

Infinity war is all about Thanos - you follow most of the movie through his eyes and connect with him as a character.

That is why the movie is so different and groundbreaking. Even though you have invested so much time with all of the heroes, by the end of the film you almost want Thanos to win because he is such a compelling character who believes that what he is doing is for the greater good of the universe and even makes his own sacrifices to achieve his goal.

He is relentless and determined and by the end of the movie you are almost willing him on to collect the final couple of stones - which he does. If you watch the movie from his point of view then it is a proper ending and a satisfying (although hollow) one.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think the first 2 hours had wonderful character work and interactions and the middle section was probably my favorite in the film.

Same for me. What they tried in Act2 was brave and it worked brilliantly imo. Favorite part for me so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I might be in the minority here but I thought Infinity War was kind of bad and Endgame was really good, maybe on the verge of great (need a rewatch but the biggest detractor for me at the moment is the action which just gets tiring).

Infinity War - 4/10 

Endgame - 7/10, maybe 8 (6th best superhero movie ever and second best MCU movie)

Similar response to David Ehrlich. He gave Infinity War a 4/10 and Endgame an 8/10. I think the main difference is that Infinity War is focused on being a shocking blockbuster (which works great for a lot including myself), while Endgame is more about the characters and is genuinely touching in a few places.

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Eek I’m a bit concerned at the “not as good as Infinity War” comments seeing as I think IW is a 3/5 movie (at best) 

Maybe I’ll think the opposite! Will find out tomorrow night 

I'm gathering that the "Not as good as Infinity War" folks generally prefer narrative and pacing to character work.

If you prefer character work to narrative and pacing then Endgame will come off as better for you.

These are generalisations of course, but they seem to be the pattern. I suspect you have little to worry about so long as you like getting invested in characters.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Proceeds to get by a bunch of small bears with wood-sticks and rocks.

It was originally supposed to be wookies. I guess Lucas came to the conclusion that tiny bears would sell more toys.

Cart before the horse and all that.

13 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Endgame is a film that one needs to let sink in...... There's a phenomenal amount to absorb, and just like with IW I think people will enjoy it more and more with each rewatch.

One draw back to the otherwise fantastic marketing campaign is that since no one knows what to expect going in, the amount of shocks is overwhelming.

Agreed, I really didn't know how I felt last night.. it was just a jumbled mess of emotions. I'll be seeing it again to really figure out my exact ratings.

1 hour ago, ecstasy said:

Not sure. On my way to Las Vegas right now.

Sam! What's up Marvel Girl! This is it! This is the endgame for the Avengers. Wow. So much fun with you guys.

It really is the Endgame. 

I know, so much fun. I remember joining around IM3 release, so it’s been 6 years for me.  Where did time even go?

4 minutes ago, Broshnat said:

Infinity war is all about Thanos - you follow most of the movie through his eyes and connect with him as a character.

That is why the movie is so different and groundbreaking. Even though you have invested so much time with all of the heroes, by the end of the film you almost want Thanos to win because he is such a compelling character who believes that what he is doing is for the greater good of the universe and even makes his own sacrifices to achieve his goal.

He is relentless and determined and by the end of the movie you are almost willing him on to collect the final couple of stones - which he does. If you watch the movie from his point of view then it is a proper ending and a satisfying (although hollow) one.

Thanos is such a compelling villain, because just like Darth Vader is motivated by an inner passion and sense of purpose that almost no "good guy" is ever allowed to have in Hollywood movies. This is why The Empire Strikes Back & Infinity War are two of the best fantasy films ever and absolute benchmarks for their respective genres. 

• Like 2