Eric Prime

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

2 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

A fan is someone who's seen every movie. What you are describing is just a casual movie goer. As I said the average person does not have enough time to watch GOT and EG. People have jobs, families, responsibilities. It's not hard to grasp.

Well we have the biggest opening weekend in history, and later today a huge important episode of the worlds most popular fictional TV series, that will get a massive audience. So...

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Because if it don't, that's sorta embarassing and negative.

Now headlines will be, hey we didn't saw that coming. It overperformed the estimate.

What's your personal estimate for Sunday?

Just now, GirafficPark said:

Well we have the biggest opening weekend in history, and later today a huge important episode of the worlds most popular fictional TV series, that will get a massive audience. So...

And we would have had a 370 OW if it wasn't for GOT.

Oh well.

Lets take a look back at some classic MCU hot takes from our friend Deadline Hollywood

TRACKING: That's 'Iron Man' Crazy Talk

I’ve been seeing ridiculous projections for Iron Man‘s domestic gross when it opens May 2nd just because it’s come on very strong tracking-wise. Not that the sight of Marvel, who put up the money, and Paramount, the distributor, tearing their hair out over these too-high expectations isn’t immense fun for me to watch. But there’s a need to put forward some realistic numbers, at least at this early point. (I’ll refine the numbers as the release date approaches…)Forget those $80 million or even $90 million and wild $100 million predictions for the 3-day opening weekend in around 4,000 theaters. My box office gurus are telling me that the PG-13 pic should make a good $50M to $60M (though I don’t believe the studio’s claim it would be thrilled with even $45M).

Even the execs say this is not exactly Marvel’s best-known comic book character. And the star Robert Downey Jr has never been able to open a movie. And Jon Favreau soiled his rep as Elf‘s hitmaker with ZathuraPlus, right-wing and/or lefty types might consider the whole plot of the movie to be politically incorrect. And the Iron Man action figure toy sitting on my desk is cheezy beyond belief. 

'Avengers' Tracking Like Superhero: $125+M Opening Weekend With 4-Quadrant Appeal

One expert provided me with a box office guesstimate that this assembly of Marvel superheroes should open during its 3-day non-holiday weekend to $100+M domestic. That would make the film Marvel’s biggest opening, and its highest-grossing since Iron Man 2 

SHOCKER! Disney Buying Marvel For $4B!

Did Disney overpay for Marvel? Well, here’s the argument for a resounding “Yes!”

and my all time fave

How Argument About 'Iron Man' Led To Bob Shaye's Marvel Stock Short Debacle

fired New Line founder Bob Shaye told his close pals the following story: Years ago, as everyone knows, New Line had Iron Man in development. But then Shaye and Avi Arad, the longtime chairman and CEO of Marvel Studios, got into an argument over whether Iron Man should fly. Bob contended that Iron Man would look goofy soaring in an iron suit. But Avi was adamant that the pic had to stay true to the comic book so the character should take to the sky.

Eventually the option ran out, and Marvel announced a deal with Merrill Lynch to self-finance future films. Now, most men would have left the argument there. Not Bob. He told his friends that he was so convinced Marvel would run into trouble on its Iron Man movie that he took out a big short on Marvel stock. But, as we all know, the pic not only made gobs of money, but Marvel shares shot skyward to an all-time high. And then the stock was recently listed on the S&P’s midcap index so it went up another 4%. Now, most men would have given up there and then. Not Bob. He told his friends he was still shorting the stock because he believed Marvel would give it back when The Incredible Hulk failed. That didn’t happen either. “Think of the hubris and the arrogance not only to be unable to let it go, but then to bet on Marvel’s failure,” one of his pals said semi-admiringly. “It’s Shakespearean…”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

5 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

You're not forced to get an iPhone.

To be fair, the cell phone market in US and Canada offers way too few options (at least with carriers), and people will inevitably end up with pretty much just Samsung Galaxy or Iphone, anything else would be "adventurous", while people in Asian countries generally have a list of brands or models to choose from, some much cheaper than others. 

Edited by NCsoft

so fastest to 500 million is locked. It took TFA 10 days, should be 8 or 9 for endgame at worst. What will be interesting is 500-600. Where TFA got to 940 million just not with a massive opening, but it was really that 2nd week (between Cmas and NY) that really set it apart. Now endgame has a 100 million headstart, and due to potential massive overflow I think it keeps pace with TFA for the next week (meaning 150 mil 2nd weekend) if it has any chance at passing TFA it will have to keep pace 2nd week, into 3rd weekend, after that the 100 mil head start should get it some space to start lagging due to stronger competition.

I personally don't think it can do it, but I think we will get our 1st movie to end up in the 800 million range. 

• Like 4

All this “giving money to the studios” talk.

You're paying to see and experience the FILM you want to watch and enjoy!

You don’t buy a cake and say OMG that bakery is more successful than the other bakeries. 

You buy the cake because you’re hungry and enjoy cakes. 

Endgames opening is great news for everyone. Especially fans of going to the cinema!

Long live cinema! 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 9
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

A fan is someone who's seen every movie. What you are describing is just a casual movie goer. As I said the average person does not have enough time to watch GOT and EG. People have jobs, families, responsibilities. It's not hard to grasp.

I'm not a fan of MCU and i have seen every movie.

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Yep, Lion King, Toy Story and Star Wars look terrible 🙄

I don’t know about Star Wars, but I personally have zero interest in another Toy Story film or a remake of The Lion King with realistic looking animals. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

You don’t buy a cake and say OMG that bakery is more successful than the other bakeries. 

Endgames opening is great news for everyone. Especially fans of going to the cinema!

Long live cinema! 

Actually, if a single studio owns about 40% of the market share, that’s not good for the future of cinema. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

That it does. Also Aladdin.

Both will make mad money though. And Star Wars is from the same screenwriter as Batman v Superman, so I'm not expecting great things. And Toy Story 4 just looks like the same movie as Toy Story 3.

Name one JJ Abrams movie that had as terrible reviews as Batman v Superman? Zack Snyder is the main reason that BvS sucked. 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Long live cinema! 

Exactly!

It's also like sports. As fans, we celebrate an individual leading the league in points or goals even though we're not seeing a cent of any of these players' salaries. Box office, like sports stats, is just fun to follow, especially on weekends like this!

That tweet was pure Ehrlich: edgy for the sake of being edgy. "Look at me, I'm calling out the simpleton plebs for celebrating the big, evil corporation's box office success! I'm so evolved!"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SweeneySwift said:

Remember when Disney paid $4bil for Marvel

And they're going to make half of that from this one movie by the end of next Sunday

They bought it in December 2009 with only Iron Man having been a financial success at that time and Incredible Hulk a flop.

Someone working at Disney clearly had the time stone or something.