sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

Canadian Netflix was the best Netflix, which made Canadians complaining about their Netflix online super strange. They didn't know what they had.

This isn't the first time I heard this... Friends in the states would for Canada's instead. Not savvy with that switching stuff so I just stuck with the US Netflix.

Just now, baumer said:

I just got out of booksmart and it's a mixed review for me. Keep in mind I'm 47 years old so perhaps it's not a film that caters to me but I didn't care for the first half but I loved the last half-hour. So go figure.

Aladdin is going to make an absolute fucking killing here today. The IMAX shows are sold out all day and there are kids crawling all over the place at the theater right now.

I'm seeing Aladdin later today and the theater I'm going to is filling up pretty much everything all day. Wouldn't be surprised if it barely drops from yesterday (which puts $90M+ for the 3-day in play since tomorrow will barely drop as well).

• Like 1

I don't know how he does it, but will smith keeps them hits coming. Gemini Man next? Par is in charge there, so it might face some challenges ...

Edited by Alli

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Snowpiercer and Okja are fine. Really like them even. But, my favorite Bong is when he's in his native land doing his thing. That's a shame, man. Early reactions have me hoping he's in full on Mother mode. Short trailer and poster for Parasite are killer too. 

Yeah I loved okja but snow piercer is just ok. Memories of Murder is best bong imo 

• Like 4

Been casting a live action Emperor’s New Groove in my head.

Thinking Zoe Saldana as Yzma and Dwayne Johnson as Kronk.

Eric Stonestreet from Modern Family as Pacha.

but wracking my brain for a good Kuzco.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This isn't the first time I heard this... Friends in the states would for Canada's instead. Not savvy with that switching stuff so I just stuck with the US Netflix.

Well I don't know about that. I'm in Canada and sometimes we don't get some of the good stuff that the Americans get on Netflix.

4 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Poor Unfortunate Souls

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Good one - I actually love the whole Kiss the Girl song and scene...not sure it's live actionable, but it's awesome, too...

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Part of Your World is literally the proto-typical "I want" disney song and for sure their best. Poor Unfortunate Souls is great and what every following villain song had to live up to. Kiss the Girl is fun too. this point is a MESS.

.......alright, maybe it was just me, then. I always thought Under The Sea was the only memorable song from The Little Mermaid tbh. But who cares, the point remains: the remake doesn't have to be a musical to be good.

3 hours ago, baumer said:

@MCKillswitch123 you make a lot of good points and I definitely realize that Dumbo is nowhere near as popular as Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King. But I also think there is a danger in trying to remake classics. First of all people remember what these classics were like and maybe they don't want to have that view tarnished in some ways. Secondly I think Beauty and the Beast was more of the exception as opposed to commonality. I'm obviously not saying The Lion King is going to tank or anyting but I'm always take an exception to the billion-dollar number being thrown around. I personally don't see it but then again I'm not invested in The Lion King so maybe that's affecting my judgment.

It wasn't just BATB that hit the billion: Alice In Wonderland hit it too, albeit that was driven by the Avatar 3D craze, and The Jungle Book came really close. Maleficent (a movie that's based on a very popular villain from a not as popular movie) also topped 700M WW, Cinderella did half a billion.... Disney remakes are big, big deals. Your Dumbos and Christopher Robins that top out in the 200-300 range are rare, and only because they do not have certain advantages (like enormous nostalgia or technical fads) in their favor. And if anything, general audiences want the remakes to look like the classics. We as movie nerds complain about that and lack of originality and all of that, but these remakes exist purely as nostalgia cash-grabs, and if to hit their target audience, they need to bring the nostalgia of the old movies back. Your lack of investment is indeed clouding your judgment a little bit. The Lion King is an absolute behemoth. It's the most popular movie Disney has ever made, it's a gigantic media/pop culture icon, its 3D re-release in 2011 outgrossed the vast majority of movies period, and the teaser trailer for the remake came an inch from topping Avengers: Infinity War's 24 hour views then-record. Plus, the all-star voice cast. If anything, a billion seems like a lowball for a movie that has virtually all the weight in its shoulders to be a monster. I think 1.5-2B is likelier than the Alice-BATB range, tbh.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

.......alright, maybe it was just me, then. But who cares, the point remains: the remake doesn't have to be a musical to be good.

i felt this way about mulan but everyone got mad when they said they were cutting the songs and now they're back in so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

37 minutes ago, Alli said:

I don't know how he does it, but will smith keeps them hits coming. Gemini Man next? Par is in charge there, so it might face some challenges ...

It’s going up against The Joker so that’s a problem.

3 hours ago, baumer said:

@MCKillswitch123 you make a lot of good points and I definitely realize that Dumbo is nowhere near as popular as Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King. But I also think there is a danger in trying to remake classics. First of all people remember what these classics were like and maybe they don't want to have that view tarnished in some ways. Secondly I think Beauty and the Beast was more of the exception as opposed to commonality. I'm obviously not saying The Lion King is going to tank or anyting but I'm always take an exception to the billion-dollar number being thrown around. I personally don't see it but then again I'm not invested in The Lion King so maybe that's affecting my judgment.

I assume you mean domestically, because if you don't think TLK is going to make a billion worldwide you really just need to hang it up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i felt this way about mulan but everyone got mad when they said they were cutting the songs and now they're back in so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I hope none of those people have the nerve to complain about the remakes being just shot-for-shot rehashes, then. Non-musical Mulan actually sounds pretty kick-ass to me (and I like Mulan's songs). If Cinderella and The Jungle Book, which spawned some of the most famous Disney songs of all time, could have good non-musical remakes, why couldn't Mulan, or The Little Mermaid, or really any of these movies? Just goes to prove that these movies serve no purpose beyond making a ton of money from membaberries.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, I hope none of those people have the nerve to complain about the remakes being just shot-for-shot rehashes, then. Non-musical Mulan actually sounds pretty kick-ass to me (and I like Mulan's songs). If Cinderella and The Jungle Book, which spawned some of the most famous Disney songs of all time, could have good non-musical remakes, why couldn't Mulan, or The Little Mermaid, or really any of these movies? Just goes to prove that these movies serve no purpose beyond making a ton of money from membaberries.

Tangled has one of the lamest Disney soundtracks ever, but you know that when it gets remade in 2032, a whole bunch of weenies are gonna whine and complain if "When Will My Life Begin" isn't on the soundtrack, and go all "ITS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT IT"

• Like 1

Just saw Aladdin and Damn... How could you, Guy Ritchie... How could you.. Pretty much an epic comeback from all the bad buzz that surrounded it before release. Loved it!!!! WOM is overwhelmingly good if not great here in Indonesia based on 3 audiences review site ( side note : for all this site and app , only ticket buyers can review it so pretty useful , neutral and trustworthy )

1. TIX ID : 9.3 from 26.6k votes , second best only behind EG with 9.6 ( the audience review in this app only has been launched Since a month ago tho ) 

2. Cinepoint : 8/10 , again second only from EG 9/10. Hard to judge using this app considering many movies sit at 8 and this app only uses integers like 1/10 , 2/10 , 3/10 and so on.. ( only been launched since a month ago also. )

3. BookmyShow : 4.8/5 from 212 votes ( still early and could change easily ). Similar  to EG. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Tangled has one of the lamest Disney soundtracks ever, but you know that when it gets remade in 2032, a whole bunch of weenies are gonna whine and complain if "When Will My Life Begin" isn't on the soundtrack, and go all "ITS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT IT"

I love I See The Light. One of my favorite Disney animation songs.