sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What did you mean by this? Smaller markets, in local currency or something?? 

Because in dollars it really isn’t. Not in top markets anyway. 

Aladdin - Maleficent OW

China - $18.7M v China - $22m

Mexico - $9.2M vs Mexico $14.1m

U.K. - $8.4M vs UK $11m

Italy - $6.6M vs $5.9m

S. Korea - $6.5M vs $3.4m 

Russia - $6.4M vs $14m

Australia - $5.4M vs $3.8m

Spain - $4.8M vs $4.3m

Brazil - $4.6M vs $5.6m

France - $3.8M vs $5m

Germany - $3.6M vs $4.9m

Philippines - $3.4M vs $4.1m 

local currency. China, Mexico, Uk, Philippines, are similar. Russia, Germany & France Maleficent slightly higher in lc. Rest Aladdin ahead.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, syntaxerror said:

Imho Disney leadership needs a shuffle. Sure they are doing well numerically but that is mainly based on their dependence on Marvel Studios and Animation. The main studio hasn’t had a big hit in a while. In fact there has been quite a few disappointments - Dumbo, A Wrinkle In Time, Nutcracker.

Well, Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn is widely respected in the industry. He's also nearing 80 and bound to retire soon. His replacement is almost certain to be Studios Co-Chairman Alan Bergman, also a respected figure. I don't think any of their subordinates are gonna go anytime soon:

Pixar's Pete Docter

WDAS's Jennifer Lee

Disney Live-Action's Sean Bailey

Marvel's Kevin Feige

Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy

20th Century Fox's Emma Watts

Fox Searchlight's Nancy Utley and Steven Gilula

Among those subordinates, Kennedy is the most vulnerable. But I don't think Horn and Bergman will let her go. She's still widely respected in Hollywood circles.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

local currency. China, Mexico, Uk, Philippines, are similar. Russia, Germany & France Maleficent slightly higher in lc. Rest Aladdin ahead.

Yeh I thought you were using local currency. 

My post was in reference to worldwide gross though. 

13 hours ago, syntaxerror said:

Imho Disney leadership needs a shuffle. Sure they are doing well numerically but that is mainly based on their dependence on Marvel Studios and Animation. The main studio hasn’t had a big hit in a while. In fact there has been quite a few disappointments - Dumbo, A Wrinkle In Time, Nutcracker.

That's just their thing. Look at 2012-2013 with John Carter and Lone Ranger, those two movies lost more money than Infinity War netted :D

13 hours ago, jedijake said:

Eh, but remember, movies are #3 on Disney's revenue. TV, yes, TV, is #1. Parks #2. This was always part of their plan-to make a killing in 2019 and then launch Disney plus at the end to make that the focus in 2020.  Most of Disney's stories in the entertainment news will be about Disney plus next year.

This. People seem to forget (or maybe many are not aware) that Disney's film division is not their main cash cow. It's only #3. TV and Parks revenues dwarf the film revenues by a huge margin.

• Astonished 1

5 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

I'm pretty sure BatB was a 4 quad film. 
You don't get to 500 million without appealing to at least some of each of the 4 quads. 

I still to this day have not seen BatB remake. Just have no desire to. Never got into the original (as a kid, I was WAY more into Alladin and Lion King)

My wife on the other hand..... BatB original is her favorite movie alltime, and she made sure to take both of my daughters with her to see the remake.

LK IMO is a more neutral movie. Like I am not hyped about it, but I will definitely go see it if someone wants to. Where as BatB I was actively hoping my wife did not want to see it together.... I was glad she wanted to just take the kids...

I agree with the poster who highlighted that BatB is not 4 quadrant. It is a chick-flick that most guys can stomach to see with their girl. 

Edited by Birdo Mandingo

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

There's every reason to believe that was review bombed, as it was in the 40s before release.

I'm not saying Solo had amazing WOM.  It clearly didn't.  But that was one of the films targeted by bombing and as such it's audience score isn't very reliable.

I'll go and say that I wasn't expecting much and Solo actually pleasantly surprised me. It was an unecessary movie, and a lot of the fanservice-y thing was really dull and felt like writers just going through a checklist (Han meets chewie! Han wins the Falcon! Han does the Kessel Run!)  but they added enough interesting stuff (mainly, Clarke's and Harrelson's characters) that made the film not a complete waste. Can totally see why it bombed though, I'd have skipped it if I wasn't such a Star Wars fan.

Disney tunes up the promo for Aladdin after it's strong opening weekend

Aladdin is a fresh concept and would defintely love to see the sequels aside from the nostalgia. It's a whole new world and reminds me of Aquaman and the world of atlantis. Atlantis and Agrabah are both something unique that you rarely see fictitious cities and worlds. I was mostly sold on how the production team managed to create Agrabah that was the main attraction for me. They did a magnificent job and the same reasons I was drawn to Aquaman.

John

Edited by Geo1500

14 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Aladdin

That's really impressive, we might very well see more than 112 (up to 115 even) for the 4 days if those numbers stick.

58 minutes ago, baumer said:

Aladdin up by almost 5 million lol

Trying to think of the last time we've seen that for a movie opening around $90 million (Friday-Sunday) and I seriously can't find anything. I know Disney were extremely safe with their Sunday estimates, much more so than usual, but that's still pretty damn crazy.

I looked back and that has never happened over this weekend, regardless of the opening weekend of that movie, be it over or under $100 million. The most I've seen a movie underpredicted was +$3.7 million for Shrek 2 back in 2004.

Edited by AlexMA
forgot to finish a sentence and fixed a date
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1