sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

unless it will blow away the record i think it is over, Disney is not going to push over the finish-line to record by a million or two, when it will beat their now record Avatar, what is the point

It’s owned by them, but it isn’t really a Disney made production. They can push Endgame then re-release Avatar to once again top it. That way, both releases become #1 during their time with Disney. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Just realized I joined like 15 months ago. 320 posts a month, >10 a day.   

Whoops.        

But the BP-FFH 1 franchise, 6 movies, 9B BO, 18 month corridor is simply historic, maybe I can regain some restraint once it passes.

This place has honestly been really great during my time post uni and job hunt. Unfortunately will probably be on here far less now due to the new job. 

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Just realized I joined like 15 months ago. 320 posts a month, >10 a day.   

Whoops.        

But the BP-FFH 1 franchise, 6 movies, 9B BO, 18 month corridor is simply historic, maybe I can regain some restraint once it passes.

7 Months 11 days for me. 620 posts a month ~ 20 a day.

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

This place has honestly been really great during my time post uni and job hunt. Unfortunately will probably be on here far less now due to the new job. 

Hehe, has been a post-uni pre-job ish phase for me as well. Probably for the best if I soon get a similar reason to ratchet back 😛 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Not that big a force overseas...?! The Force Awakens made more than $1 billion overseas! If you want to say, "a bigger domestic draw than international, compared to other franchises," ok, but words matter, Star Wars is HUGE everywhere. It's just not as huge as some other properties in random non-English speaking countries. 

My bad. I meant to say “no longer that big a force OS”. 

And agree, words do matter, so you can argue all you want but fact of the numbers from TLJ and Solo (you know, those recent SW movies) is Star Wars ain’t huge everywhere. Since when is China, South Korea, most of Asia, and most of South America are “random” non-English speaking countries? Stop downplaying and belittling countries/territories just because a movie you stan don’t do as well there.

My original post wasn’t even focusing on Star Wars but rather talking about Jumanji 2 and its potential. Whatever I said that you somehow thought was a dig towards Star Wars, believe me (or not, your choice) I ain’t that deep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not all franchises are meant to last 10 years. Maybe MonsterVerse wasn't destined to be a long running thing. For people who know way more than me what other monsters could theyvhave introduced that could carry their own film the way Godzilla and King Kong do?

At this point let's just say Godzilla is flopping.

But more than that, if it can get good legs to do more than what people are expecting currently then it will benefit GvK.

At this point it's not about people who didn't watch it, but about those who watched it and liked it.

Aladdin’s hold is great. In the wake of a new hyped musical and a creature feature stealing a ton of PLF screens, $43 million’ish is excellent. 

This thing seems in good shape to flirt near $300 million to me.  $270 million seems assured. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Aladdin’s hold is great. In the wake of a new hyped musical and a creature feature stealing a ton of PLF screens, $43 million’ish is excellent. 

This thing seems in good shape to flirt near $300 million to me.  $270 million seems assured. 

Hmm, I can’t see $300m. 

Wont it get the usual Disney fudge when Toy Story opens though? 

Oh well. Like i said, i dont really care (though i would apprectiate it if you woud stop tagging me). Ill see the film for the fith and sixth time today and plan to end it with 25+ times.

Though i think i will take a long break from this site. The film seriously underperforming means certain people will laugh at it and i dont really need that.

Truth to be told, i do care a little. The past few days have kind of killed my excitement for box office numbers.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 13

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Hmm, I can’t see $300m. 

Wont it get the usual Disney fudge when Toy Story opens though? 

$300 million can’t be out of the question. Less likely, but if it continues to hold well over the coming weeks it could go close. Those summer weekdays are key for it. 

I also think SLP2 is going to underperform 

23 minutes ago, Moviefanatic said:

A bunch of movies having hefty drops after a holiday weekend is expected. Not sure why some people on here thought it wouldn’t happen 

last year had 3 poor openings post memorial day, so they expected good drops with 3 openers posting solid double digit openings ?

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Though i think i will take a long break from this site. The film seriously underperforming means certain people will laugh at it and i dont really need that.

Truth to be told, i do care a little. The past few days have kind of killed my excitement for box office numbers.

Just so you know, that's why I personally tagged you.  I wanted to send some sympathy and good wishes your way.  I've been there and it really really sucks donkey balls.

Please don't be a stranger too long. :(

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Oh well. Like i said, i dont really care (though i would apprectiate it if you woud stop tagging me). Ill see the film for the fith and sixth time today and plan to end it with 25+ times.

I know how it feels, MCU is pretty safe till now and looks like will be in future but back in India, the guy in my DP isn't doing well, since the start of decade and there fanwars are even more extreme.

There was a time, I was getting atleast 100 people spamming/abusing my twitter notification back in November and December. Its part of game.

Be strong. It will pass. From what I can do is, I won't tag you, again, even the one I did, it was sympathetic to you. I guess I will have to only troll @THUNDER BIRD now, good thing being, he can't counter attack me, as he is also a MCU fan and to his fortune/unfortune, we are toughened with SRK underperforming for a decade now.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah, this might be the first time I'm experiencing that feeling of disappointment at a movie's underperformance. 

• Sad 1