sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

23 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Blame it on Jimbo for making 3D a fad in a post-Avatar society. (Also the GA making Depp a thing for a few years)

Never forget 

Johnny+Depp+Mad+Hatter+Dance+1.gif

• Knock It Off 1

If DP has the same true Saturday increase as KOTM that would put it right at 11M Saturday. So Aladdin would need a 57% increase on Saturday to have a higher gross than DP.

I think Aladdin's likely weekend is being underestimated.

With a 7M Friday, a 60% Sat increase and 20% Sunday drop would give it a 27.2M weekend.

Even a 50% increase with a 20% drop gets you over 26M.

It would be impressive if Aladdin's FSS is higher than a new releases true FSS for the 2nd straight weekend.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Bad movies this summer so far:

Dark Phoenix

The Dead Don't Die

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Non-Fiction

The Secret Life of Pets 2

Tolkien

UglyDolls

Good movies this summer so far:

Aladdin

Brittany Runs a Marathon

Long Shot

Pokemon Detective Pikachu

The Sun is Also a Star

Yesterday

Great movies this summer so far;

Avengers: Endgame

Booksmart

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Rocketman

Wish I liked Booksmart as much as most others. Pretty funny. Some great stuff here and there. But, yeah, pretty letdown by it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Menor said:

Given that Pulse overindexed DP yesterday I will guess 11-13 for today. Pets maybe 18-20.

DP same. Pets same. These guesses may be a bit rougher than usual since I'm pretty busy today. Edit: Messed up the comp for DP and Pets, probably just gonna skip these updates for the rest of today rather than keep changing the numbers

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Poor pace for both today. DP 10-12 (could go lower tbh if it doesn't pick up). Pets 16-18. These guesses may be a bit rougher than usual since I'm pretty busy today.

I’d say 10 is the high end for DP based on Apocalypse’s increase from Friday proper.

29 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Bad movies this summer:

Aladdin

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

The Secret Life of Pets 2

Meh movies this summer:

Dark Phoenix
The Intruder

Rocketman

Good movies this summer:

Brightburn

Long Shot

Ma

Pokemon Detective Pikachu

Great movies this summer:

Avengers: Endgame

Her Smell (technically late spring but fuck it)

High Life (late spring)

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Under the Silver Lake (late spring)

The best movie:

Booksmart

Go watch Always Be My Maybe on Netflix, I think you’ll like it.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I’d say 10 is the high end for DP based on Apocalypse’s increase from Friday proper.

Apocalypse was MDW with deflated Saturday increases. Actually I messed up the calculation for DP, it has remained in the 11-13 range from the morning.

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Basic Instinct 2 is another huge sequel

Drop 

its more recent thing that sequels do really well. There are loads of movies from 70s and 80s that were huge and that had unnecessary sequels that people did not turn out to see. Exorcist adjusts to like 1 billion domestic and exorcist 2 did what 10% of that.

As pointed out by others, Disney made loads of sequels to their films but because sequels weren't really respected in the same way, they just put them to video as didn't think people would see them in the cinema.

Edited by Avatree

45 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Blame it on Jimbo for making 3D a fad in a post-Avatar society. (Also the GA making Depp a thing for a few years)

Blame it on Hollywood for being shown the incredible things that can be done with 3D by Jim and then doing fuck-all with that knowledge except giving audiences headaches. It's like Jim added beautiful sound to movies and the producers after him decided to bang pots and pans.

• ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, Menor said:

Poor pace for both today. DP 10-12 (could go lower tbh if it doesn't pick up). Pets 16-18. These guesses may be a bit rougher than usual since I'm pretty busy today.

5+9+10+7.5=31.5    

2.3+14.2+15.5+11.5=43.5    

Just barely break 200M combined with a nice 69M from XDP :ph34r:

Edited by Thanos Legion

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

its more recent thing that sequels do really well.

Yes. MCU and Pixar (except Cars) sequels come to mind. Also John Wick lately. I think many people look at Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, GotG, Ant-Man, and Avengers (except for Ultron), Dory, Incredibles, and John Wick where every sequels increase in gross, and they think that it will also easily happen to many other movies. We are spoiled like that.

Edited by UserHN