sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

17 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

I was actually talking about Cameron, I know of Spielberg's woes (still, even after all these years). But yes, I can see how that description read as either one. But in that case I would have used 70+ for Spielberg, not 60+.

Your post was obviously talking about Cameron, I was actually going to say something along the lines of : Is Cameron becoming "He who shall not be named"? Since you didn't mention him by name at all :lol: 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Domestically at least no one gave a shit about the new cast. Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, is where it is at 

I'm sure people cared, it's just X-Men came into Hollywood severely mismanaged and left that way.... It's successes were almost always in spite of itself. People would have cared MORE if it hadn't:

#1: Started under an executive who looked down on the property,

#2: Was given to a director who was always sort of embarrassed by the property
#3: Had its budgets constantly messed with
#4: Was almost always being meddled with by executives

It's best movies (First Class, Logan, Days of Future Past, Deadpool) all came after leadership at the studio changed and directors were allowed to make films that meant something to them.... so long as they agreed to a lower budget. 

Letting Singer back in the building was basically all she wrote. Everything he touches eventually turns to trash the longer you let him hold onto it. The X-Men's biggest problem as a film series is that it was never defined by what it was, but by what it WASN'T. Eventually the rest of the industry got over being embarrassed about superheroes, and X-Men & Fox never did. If anything limited the franchise, it was that.

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Bioshock was almost that until they ran it back weeks before production was set to begin because they wanted to find a way to cut its 150 million budget, which was deemed too risky for an R-rated video game adaptation.

The only video-game adapatation that could have been great. If the script was good, it's a tragedy.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I need a video game movie to really be a huge success so some studio will finally take the risk on R rated big budget God of War. 

That's an odd way to spell Mass Effect

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Domestically at least no one gave a shit about the new cast. Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, is where it is at 

The Hugh Jackman as Wolverine casting really is up there with RDJ as Iron Man.  I would also put Sir Ian and Sir Patrick on that level, but they're just so good that they could literally play a piece of sh%t and pull it off.

12 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

That's an odd way to spell Mass Effect

Nice.  Though I'd rather see Mass Effect as an HBO quality series.  Oh well, Expanse is keeping me satisfied in that regard for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

If Uncharted fails, the KOTOR movie would for sure breakout huge if they do it right. 

Uncharted isn't really that big of a property. Love the story but IDK how keen people will be on the changes. As for KOTOR I think it'd be a huge breakout but look at whom is directing the film. The people that ruined GOT to the point it's now rated the worse series finale of all time. People won't forget that. And SW has already had to deal with a PR nightmare in Rian Johnson. 

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

Uncharted isn't really that big of a property. Love the story but IDK how keen people will be on the changes. As for KOTOR I think it'd be a huge breakout but look at whom is directing the film. The people that ruined GOT to the point it's now rated the worse series finale of all time. People won't forget that. And SW has already had to deal with a PR nightmare in Rian Johnson. 

They're not...making an Old Republic movie?

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

They're not...making an Old Republic movie?

One of the scooper dudebros teased it being KOTOR and everything took it as confirmation. But... would KOTOR really count as a video game adaptation? It's based on a video game based on a movie series (albeit set thousands of years before)

49 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can only assume that next week will be another underwhelming weekend at the box office. 2019 sure has been an interesting year at the box office so far. 

MIB4 Sans Will (who's on fire right now) or Tommy I just don't know.  Remaking Movie Star Franchises minus the Big Star hasn't gone to well  (Ala Total Recall, Conan, Independence Day: Resurgence etc)  Even "Terminator: Salvation" didn't do too hot.   There's been exceptions like "Jumanji" and "Aladdin" which saw former Robin Williams roles become a success.   They are banking on Chris and Tessa Marvel chemistry transferring over.  I like F. Gary Gray but again we have to see how audiences respond to a Will-less MIB. 

The Last one came Memorial Day Weekend 2012 and Dethroned the original Avengers (Coming full circle huh? The Avengers are now MIB, lol).  Right now I don't see it matching MIB3 but we shall see.   Now "Shaft" I think is in a different spot.  The Original Classic 3 from the 70's were apart of the "Blaxpolation era".   John Singleton (RIP) rebooted it with Samuel L  and Christian Bale as the baddy back in 2000.  It made 70 Million Domestic but adjust to 117.   So "Shaft 5" expectations aren't as Big as something like "Men In Black" which is a Global Blockbuster franchise.  

Edited by filmscholar

I'm sure its been said 100 times already both here and elsewhere, right?  But it's rather fitting that FOX's second ill-fated attempt at deciphering the Phoenix story for the big screen has gone down in flames...

But this weekend is really showing us that American audiences in particular don't have the patience for boring, badly-written or conceived sequels.

Quality will have to win out, otherwise blockbusters will die for a while. 

Edited by Macleod

1 minute ago, TMP said:

One of the scooper dudebros teased it being KOTOR and everything took it as confirmation. But... would KOTOR really count as a video game adaptation? It's based on a video game based on a movie series (albeit set thousands of years before)

Buzzfeed reported somebody else was writing up a KOTOR trilogy that wasn't connected with D&D's idea. And yeah, I'd trust Buzzfeed over scooper bros

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kateaurthur/new-star-wars-movie-knights-of-the-old-republic

• Like 2

Dark Phoenix is about a character who, in this X-Men series, was only just introduced in the last movie which wasn't well received. Also, that character was played by someone other than the original (Famke Janssen) just as Han Solo was played by someone other than Harrison Ford in the Solo movie. As much as Sophie Turner may have been liked in GOT, she didn't have time to gain enough of an X-Men following as Fassbender, McCovoy, or Lawrence. I think all of that has helped to feed into the problem with DP.

And as the previous poster said, MIB4 without Jones and Smith could run into the same problem despite having Hemsworth, Thompson, and Neeson.

• Like 1