sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

25 minutes ago, Menor said:

Given that Pulse overindexed DP yesterday I will guess 11-13 for today. Pets maybe 18-20.

At the very least, Pets 2 can still top $50M this weekend. But what a drastic drop from the first one.

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

I personally expected stronger holds from John Wick and Rocketman, especially if the newcomers were going to underperform the way they are. Hopefully next weekend is better for Men In Black and Shaft.

Oh sweet summer child

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Dark Phoenix is out here making Marvel look all types of bad I swear this was a Fox's plan from the start how dare they give us such a fucking dud after our 2 back to back billion gross films

Superhero fatigue think pieces coming in 3...2...1...

Edit: Nvm I see they've already begun :redcapes:

Edited by Nerfy

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

I personally expected stronger holds from John Wick and Rocketman, especially if the newcomers were going to underperform the way they are. Hopefully next weekend is better for Men In Black and Shaft.

IT won't be. MiB will barely open above Phoenix, and Shaft will be lucky to crack 20M

12 minutes ago, RichWS said:

giphy.gif

This proved that Fox's R-rated strategy on X-men franchise worked.

DC vs Marvel has completely sucked up the market space of PG-13 family friendly action flick. 

Deadpool and Logan did way better and looked easier to market than Apocalypse and now DP, despite much lower budget.

1 minute ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Hell no. Kong is a draw. People love Kong. The real King of the Monsters.

Yeah, because King Kong is a character that the audience can relate to (at least in previous films, not so much skull island, but historically). Godzilla is similar to dinosaurs in jurassic park. Just part of the scenery in a disaster movie. So you need to have a film with strong human story/characters to be a success.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

I think you're misremembering things, because Neighbors 2 was absolutely not a hit, lol. It lost like almost a third of its audience from the original.

I know but it’s budget was low. 

5 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Hell no. Kong is a draw. People love Kong. The real King of the Monsters.

Not only did Kong leg it very well Dom, it did around 170 in China. Godzilla14 did 77 and KOTM is looking at 140.

GVK or more like KVG should do well enough to justify even a 175+ prod budget IMO.

Edited by a2k

Just now, Maxmoser3 said:

I know but it’s budget was low. 

Not really, twice the budget of the first film. And made way less than half the first one. bad neighbours 2 was a flop.  every sequel that summer flopped.

4 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

So many underperformers Ugh! And this surely continues next week.

It looks like JW3 will be the highest grossing non-disney movie of this summer until SMH.

Bravo to JW and salute to Lionsgate!

John Wick released the same year as Godzilla. Wick did 43 dom, a little above Godzilla's opening day. How times have changed.

• Like 2