sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Pets 2 failed because everyone keeps calling it SLOP. stop it. it's gross.

But if we didn't call it SLOP then we wouldn't be able to call this one FLOP :(

KOTM

47.8 1st fss [47.8]

15.3 1st mon-thu [63.1]

15.0 2nd fss [78.1] (-69%)

7.0 2nd mon-thu [85.1]

6.5 3rd fss [91.6] (-57%)

3.0 3rd mon-thu [94.6]

3.25 4th fss [97.85] (-50%)

1.5 4th mon-thu [99.35]

105 dom (2.20x)

----

140 China

35-40 Japan

280-285 from these 3 markets

Edited by a2k
110 impossible it seems

Booksmart's PTA up on last week and seemingly taking in some sweet WOM, but has been yanked from too many theatres for that to really count. Gargh, no justice.

SLOP2 Theatre count is bizarre. Have no idea what justifies it.

Aladdin is so bonkers expensive that even though it has really broken out it's still in 'hit' territory rather than 'megahit' in terms of profitability unless it manages to get up well beyond $800m. 

As someone said earlier (can't remember who, apologies) this year's treatment of non-Disney franchises has really made HTTYD3s run look really nice in retrospect despite being the lowest domestic performance of its franchise. 

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Alice in Wonderland was the 5th highest grossing movie worldwide of all time for a bit. Let that nonsense sink in. 

Only 4 MCU movies sold more tickets than Transfomers : Revenge of the fallen.

• Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

So  did anyone see the Lauren shuler Donner tweet before it got deleted? Josh Trank 2.0!

Josh Trank was a 30 year old director outsider with a reputation for being hammered on set and a whole potential career to ruin.

Lauren Shuler Donner is a 70 year old veteran insider producer who is already in the middle of producing other projects and who probably can barely conjure up the care to give a crap.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 3

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I need a video game movie to really be a huge success so some studio will finally take the risk on R rated big budget God of War. 

Pika is doing good. It's not a huge success but it's likely gonna be the highest grossing video game film of all time by it's run and on top of that the sequel won't have it's energy sucked out from it like this one was releasing so close to EG.

3 hours ago, expensiveho said:

Alita doesn't look so bad now after Dumbo, Shazam, Pikachu, Godzilla and X-Men. 

HTTYD3 went from good to great, I'd say. It's been a brutal year for everything except MCU and Aladdin so far. 

IDK why Pikachu is paired with those other films, it will gross more then all those other movies.

9 hours ago, TMP said:

Spielberg struggled to get Lincoln financed, so he's not infallible to studios. 

I was actually talking about Cameron, I know of Spielberg's woes (still, even after all these years). But yes, I can see how that description read as either one. But in that case I would have used 70+ for Spielberg, not 60+.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I need a video game movie to really be a huge success so some studio will finally take the risk on R rated big budget God of War. 

Bioshock was almost that until they ran it back weeks before production was set to begin because they wanted to find a way to cut its 150 million budget, which was deemed too risky for an R-rated video game adaptation.

And on to the subject at hand, Dark Phoenix was actually worse than anticipated on Friday, so it might not even do $80 million in North America when all will be said and done. And Slops 2 will be lucky to get to $150 million with Toy Story 4 in two weeks. Toy Story 4 is likely to make in a single weekend more than Slops 2 will make over its entire domestic run.

Edited by AlexMA