Eric Quinn

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Meanwhile, as everyone is bickering about The Lion King, The Farewell continues to astound in limited release. Finally, a specialty hit this year.

A24 expanded The Farewell into 35 theaters on Friday and continued to post sizzling results. The (justifiably) acclaimed Lulu Wang dramedy, about a large Chinese family flocking to a fake wedding in order to say goodbye to a dying matriarch without actually letting her know that she's dying, earned $340,000 (+206%) on Friday for a likely $1.02 million (+187%) weekend and $1.523 million ten-day cume. That's a stellar $29,278 per-theater average and bodes well for the Awkwafina vehicle's eventual wide release.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/07/20/avengers-endgame-avatar-lion-king-farewell-awkwafina-spider-man-aladdin-midsommar-annabelle-crawl-box-office/#506a6a6244fc

Following Lady Bird (91k PTA first weekend, 32k second weekend) pretty closely. Nice.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

No, but 500 is far from a lock. Not gonna be nearly as big of a fail for me as all of the people who said 600+ and especially not those who said 800+ (and there were many). 

Man give it a rest. $500m is a lock.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

No, but 500 is far from a lock. Not gonna be nearly as big of a fail for me as all of the people who said 600+ and especially not those who said 800+ (and there were many). 

800 many ? lol, you also said ts4 wont hit 400, you also said ffh will hit at most 160 for six day and 370 total, give it a rest, you have a prediction and you maybe right there is no need to remind us every single time

ps i havent see many people think 800 mill, most people if i recall correctly expected 600-700

Edited by john2000

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

I was this close to posting an angry rant in which all of the words were in bold, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. This is a very upsettingly high OW for The Lion King and bad word of mouth isn't going to be able to fix the problem it creates. Audiences need to learn discernment. Cinema shouldn't be akin to a fast food restaurant.

lol

I mean yeah I don't like that this movie exists, but it's like setting a pizza out for hungry kids.

• Knock It Off 1

It’s gonna be awkward 30 years from now when Hollywood has no properties to remake cause they spent these last couple years rebooting and remaking their popular franchises. Nostalgia is in right now but there’s only so many properties Hollywood can do this with. 

*This isn’t even a studio problem. So many TV shows I see get reboots and some of them haven’t even been off the air for a decade. At the same time, I can’t fully blame Hollywood either because when they do something original, most of the time people don’t pay attention to it. So I guess complaining about reboots/remakes is useless cause judging by the box office numbers (and TV show ratings) it’s what audiences want right now. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

That’s great for you.  I don’t care and I’m confused and baffled by this take, but that’s great for you.

That's your opinion and your right. Considering you think Hellboy 3 is better I imagine nearly almost every movie review is baffling.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Youve seen 1 day of actual numbers. You know pretty much nothing

I know it's not an all time juggernaut. At best it's a slightly more successful BatB. At worst, it's Ultron 2.0. Far cry from the movie that was supposed to break the box office. 

Just now, Nova said:

It’s gonna be awkward 30 years from now when Hollywood has no properties to remake cause they spent these last couple years rebooting and remaking their popular franchises. Nostalgia is in right now but there’s only so many properties Hollywood can do this with. 

*This isn’t even a studio problem. So many TV shows I see get reboots and some of them haven’t even been off the air for a decade. At the same time, I can’t fully blame Hollywood either because when they do something original, most of the time people don’t pay attention to it. So I guess complaining about reboots/remakes is useless cause judging by the box office numbers (and TV show ratings) it’s what audiences want right now. 

Fox has loads and Disney bought the rights.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I know it's not an all time juggernaut. At best it's a slightly more successful BatB. At worst, it's Ultron 2.0. Far cry from the movie that was supposed to break the box office. 

weird flex, but go off i guess

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yep. This movie was getting 1b DOM predictions around here. It has been completely insufferable for well over a year. 

then these people were smoking some good things if they really thought 800-1bill ,

35 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I enjoyed Aladdin more than any movie in my life and I've seen at least 1000+ films.  I would think you value diversity of OPINIONS.

Are there any qualifications to this?

Are you talking about the 1992 movie?

13 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Btw I just saw that Tenet square on the bingo card @captainwondyful. I see what you did

CP1igFZ.gif

😘😘😘😘😘

24 minutes ago, DAR said:

Soulless cash grab was missed on the bingo card

TBH, I made the bingo card before the reviews

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yep. This movie was getting 1b DOM predictions around here. It has been completely insufferable for well over a year. 

Why is people being optimistic about the movie's performance "insufferable?"

Personally I was expecting anywhere from 600-700 but it's still making a shitton of money. The fact that you were more cynical about the movie's prospects and it will fall slightly under the average expectations is not really something that needs celebrating. It's also way too early to say what the legs will be. Let's wait for the second weekend drop before calling it DOA.

• Like 2

I enjoyed CATS - Official Trailer [HD] more than any movie trailer in my life and I've seen at least 1000+ film trailers.  I would think you value diversity of OPINIONS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7