Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It's an underperformance. No way around it. 

The Farewell's early numbers are massive but A24 just doesn't know how to properly take its movies wide. 

Don't let your hate for Beyonce blind you. In no way is near 200m 550+ domestic underperforming. It's not near the peak but less than .1% of movies meet that anyways

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Aladdin was never as big (not even close) nor did it have the biggest Broadway ever to keep interest up. Aladdin's 1B to me is more impressive than Lion King 1.6B if it hits that. Still 1.6B is massive but it's similar to the feeling if Infinity War did "only" 1.6 billion.

That’s fine, just pointing out that Lion King opened to more than double what Aladdin did. 

34 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Agree. Nauseating. 

Why will the Marvel panel go down in history? Nearly all they announced we already knew about. 

Cruise turning up with the awesome Top Gun trailer - that was easily the highlight of all the reveals over the weekend for me. 

Disagree. That Top Gun trailer was bad. It followed beat for beat the original one, such a blatant non creative cash grap.

The Lion King opened really well but to be only be a slightly higher than Beauty and the Beast probably is a little dissapointing for Disney. I wonder how Aladdin would have fared had it got the plum July slot. 

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Don't let your hate for Beyonce blind you. In no way is near 200m 550+ domestic underperforming. It's not near the peak but less than .1% of movies meet that anyways

Beyonce is a non-factor for TLK. Its success has nothing to do with her. Her songs from the OST are all tanking. Me rooting against the movie has nothing to do with her. 

6 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Is the Lion King actually going to end up below Ultron's opening weekend lol?

Called it! Total ww will also come most probably under, maybe slightly over (1.5B)

TLK OW is definitely below what most people predicted, but I still find it silly people are disappointed with a near 185-190 mil ow. This just shows how much of a beast Endgame’s OW was. We’ll never see anything like that again!

• Disbelief 1

29 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron were underperformers. And those entered higher on the top 10 biggest OWs of all time list.

How did this underperform though? None of the trades projected a $200M OW. Underperform based on what exactly? Your expectations?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I assume once Disney realized they weren't getting 200 they lowballed to 185 to look better when actuals are closer to 190. 

Yeah but the Sunday headlines are way more important than the Monday actuals.  Which is why I never understand why Disney lowballs Sun #s.  Oh well, should be $190m with tomorrow's actuals.

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Beyonce is a non-factor for TLK. Its success has nothing to do with her. Her songs from the OST are all tanking. Me rooting against the movie has nothing to do with her. 

But you are still rooting against this movie for another reason. Because you have disliked/ been disappointed with so many big movies this year and closely becoming the next Goffe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s fine, just pointing out that Lion King opened to more than double what Aladdin did. 

Ah ok yeah. Heck remember people were talking about 60 million 4 day for Aladdin and 150 total.

5 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Called it! Total ww will also come most probably under, maybe slightly over (1.5B)

Ultron had horrific legs. I doubt it will be worse. Domestic will 100 million higher

Edited by cdsacken

1 minute ago, FTF said:

Yeah but the Sunday headlines are way more important than the Monday actuals.  Which is why I never understand why Disney lowballs Sun #s.  Oh well, should be $190m with tomorrow's actuals.

This. Headlines are made with estimates so some studios even overestimate in order to claim record or milestone cause nobody's gonna care about actual. heck, many sites keep only estimates without actual adjustment (RT and IMDB as far as I could see) so that's that. Disney doesn't gain anything by underestimating it by this much. Most likely they have a really bad team who does them.