Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Ultron had horrific legs. I doubt it will be worse. Domestic will 100 million higher

Especially for all intents and purposes for families, this is really the last big summer blockbuster out there before school starts.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

2 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Especially for all intents and purposes for families, this is really the last big summer blockbuster out there before school starts.

Yep. I'm not pretending this is some amazing film. It's good not great and 2 ticks below Aladdin however for the reason you mention among so many others it will have decent legs and it's doing awesome overseas other than China (still more than double Aladdin there)

Edited by cdsacken

Look at Julia Alexander at Verge just rewriting reality here 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/21/20702651/avengers-endgame-avatar-biggest-movie-box-office-comic-con-phase-4

Just over a month ago, Avengers: Endgame fans conceded defeat to James Cameron’s 2009 Avatar, acknowledging it would remain the biggest movie of all time. Last night at San Diego Comic-Con, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige announced that’s no longer true.

Firstly... it wasn't over a month ago, it was less than a month ago. She's linking directly to her terrible article with the date on it and everything.... Secondly, fans were never doing what she said they did! Ever! 

(Endgame is the top movie now, but that could change due to inflation.) 

...what? Why is this person writing about box office?

This is so bizarre to me... that the first article ever got written or published, and now this follow up is just... pretending there was nothing ever wrong with the first. I'm almost wondering if Julia Alexander is a pseudonym for Scott Mendelsson...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Astonished 1

Summer RT Update: Once Upon a Time In Hollywood currently sits with an 8.2 average rating with 65 reviews, and if it maintains this once the bulk of reviews come in, it could end up being the third film of the summer with an 8+ average rating.

This summer does seem to surpass the summer of 2016 (the first summer I tracked), in terms of the number of films at 80+% and with an 8+ average rating. If 'Once Upon...' maintains an 8+ average rating, this summer will be tied with last summer at 3 films each with an 8+ average rating. The best is still the summer of 2017 with 4 films (and also with 14 films at 80+%).

2019 Summer Films RT Watch (Wide-Release — May/June/July/August)

1. Toy Story 4 — 98% — 8.4 rating
  2. Booksmart — 97% — 8.3 rating
  3. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood — 92% — 8.2 rating (with 65 reviews)
  4. Rocketman — 90% — 7.6 rating
  5. John Wick: Chapter 3 — 90% — 7.5 rating
  6. Spider-Man: Far From Home — 90% — 7.5 rating
  7. Crawl — 84% — 6.6 rating
  8. Midsommar — 82% — 7.5 rating
  9. Long Shot — 81% — 7.1 rating
  10. Late Night — 80% — 6.9 rating
  11. Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 67% — 6.0 rating
  12. Annabelle Comes Home — 64% — 5.8 rating
  13. Child’s Play — 64% — 5.8 rating
  14. Yesterday — 63% — 6.4 rating
  15. Secret Life of Pets 2 — 59% — 5.8 rating
  16. Brightburn — 57% — 5.6 rating
  17. Aladdin — 56% — 5.9 rating
  18. The Lion King — 55% — 6.1 rating
  19. Ma — 55% — 5.6 rating
  20. Tolkien — 51% — 5.8 rating
  21. A Dog’s Journey — 49% — 5.2 rating
  22. The Sun Is Also a Star — 48% — 5.6 rating
  23. Stuber — 42% — 5.0 rating
  24. Godzilla: King of the Monsters — 41% — 5.2 rating
  25. Poms — 35% — 4.9 rating
  26. Shaft — 31% — 4.6 rating
  27. The Intruder — 31% — 4.2 rating
  28. UglyDolls — 28% — 4.4 rating
  29. Anna — 27% — 4.6 rating
  30. Dark Phoenix — 23% — 4.6 rating
  31. Men in Black International — 22% — 4.5 rating
  32. The Hustle — 14% — 3.9 rating

2019 — 32 wide-release films (*SO FAR*)

• 14 fresh, 18 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 10 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 2 films (Toy Story 4, Booksmart, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood)

2018 — 45 wide-release films

• 22 fresh, 23 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 13 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 3 films (BlacKkKlansman, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, and Hereditary)

2017 — 42 wide-release films

• 18 fresh, 24 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 14 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 4 films (Dunkirk, The Big Sick, War for the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver)

2016 — 42 wide-release films

• 20 fresh, 22 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 9 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 1 film (Kubo and the Two Strings)

Peace,

Mike

9 minutes ago, UserHN said:

How did this underperform though? None of the trades projected a $200M OW. Underperform based on what exactly? Your expectations?

The possibility of $200m was certainly floated around in the trades, but usually “some industry experts project”. Official Tracking seemed to be $150-175m range though. 

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Ah ok yeah. Heck remember people were talking about 60 million 4 day for Aladdin and 150 total.

Yeh because of bad pre release buzz and reviews. 

When it was announced and before that infamous first trailer, people weren’t expecting a $60m 4 day lol. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

The possibility of $200m was certainly floated around in the trades, but usually “some industry experts project”. Official Tracking seemed to be $150-175m range though. 

Yeh because of bad pre release buzz and reviews. 

When it was announced and before that infamous first trailer, people weren’t expecting a $60m 4 day lol. 

Horrific predictions lasted until the review embargo.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

...what? Why is this person writing about box office?

It's funny that she mentions inflation (in the wrong context) when Feige said yesterday that EG didn't beat Avatar adjusted to inflation which is super gracious of him. So why is she butting in when Marvel boss acknowledged the inflation thingy (which I find overrated but he's a class act for paying attention to such point of nitpicking). 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

Were did they say that? With Deadpool and Blade they could start making some R rated MCU movies and put them under the Fox banner.

Don't ask me.  You quoted the wrong person.  I responded to someone that said PG13.  Even the qoute you did from me says I didn't see it anywhere which is why I responded to that person.  😛

maybe I got into the middle of their  conversation that I missed the beginnings and it was just a possibility of being PG13

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think that Disney wanted 200M hence widest release ever. They lowballed to hedge their bets cause TS4 was viewed as a disappointment due to higher tracking than OW. But point is, officials never threw 200M around, that's trades...and us. :lol:

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Horrific predictions lasted until the review embargo.

Yeh I meant when Aladdin was announced and before we seen that trailer, predictions were huge. Most people always expected a billion. It just had blip with the reviews/ trailer/ first pic of Smith ending up as a meme. 

Technically Aladdin eventually performed as it always technically should’ve anyway.

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I meant when Aladdin was announced and before we seen that trailer, predictions were huge. Most people always expected a billion. It just had blip with the reviews/ trailer/ first pic of Smith ending up as a meme. 

Technically Aladdin eventually performed as it always technically should’ve anyway.

Underperformed? Not a chance.

Edited by cdsacken