Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

8 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

you ever heard the one about the sun and a dog's ass? 

Deadline gets trashed because that's where garbage goes. People here quote them out of force of habit.... like that one kid in elementary school who couldn't stop picking his scabs....

Eh, deadline are still useful sometimes (even when their box office numbers are off), which other trades provides PostTrack numbers so early?

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Eh. Why the fuck are you so enthusiastic about live action remakes anyways?

Why do you hate it so much when you could ignore it? It makes zero sense.

I hate literally no real movie. I certainly don't wish for failure of a particular genre or sub type. I don't love horror films but I hope IT 2 makes all the money. I hope crawl does well because why be so negative about it?

Also let's not pretend 200 OW isn't soul crushing for the TLK hating folks.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean, RTH said he was thinking 78-82, now 80 and could go up because it’s early. It’s not the final number!

Why people are already freaking out? 

Also even with $ 80M, is doing $ 190M-200M which locks +500M, Just Calm down. 

Exactly. This is a massive success regardless of what final number it falls on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

isn't it the other way around? didn't Kimba come out years before TLK?

I think his point is "simba" is the the actual Swahili word for lion, so he's asking if the people who created Kimba just replaced the S with a K for some reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Why do you hate it so much when you could ignore it? It makes zero sense.

I hate literally no real movie. I certainly don't wish for failure of a particular genre or sub type. I don't love horror films but I hope IT 2 makes all the money. I hope crawl does well because why be so negative about it?

Also let's not pretend 200 OW isn't soul crushing for the TLK hating folks.

Well it is taking space and resources from movies that otherwise could have been made. I admit I do have plans to see The Lion King, but I have mixed feelings about it.

• Like 3

Just now, VenomXXR said:

I think his point is "simba" is the the actual Swahili word for lion, so he's asking if the people who created Kimba just replaced the S with a K for some reason.

Or maybe, Disney saw the word Kimba and replaced the K with an S!

12 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

isn't it the other way around? didn't Kimba come out years before TLK?

yah obviously I know Kimba came first but Disney claims that the name Simba coms from the swahili word for lion which makes sense considering other characters hav swahili names and rafiki even has a swhaili chant he says. Simba literally means lion. But like is it just a coincidence the name is so similar to Kimba? Is Kimba also derived from the word "Simba?" I'm just curious

Edited by ban1o
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Well it is taking space and resources from movies that otherwise could have been made. I admit I do have plans to see The Lion King, but I have mixed feelings about it.

Show me exactly what was canceled from Disney? Much of the rest of the studios are putting out crap.

Again if you hate live action then skip it. No one is forcing you and frankly why see something you hate?

3 hours ago, ban1o said:

It's weird that the names Kimba and Simba are so similar when Simba is swahili for Lion. Did Tezuka get the name Kimba  from Simba and just change the S to an K lol? 

hmm. I dunno. Maybe he thought Kimba rolled off the tongue better.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

at least Harry is keeping the July OD record 

Which is crazy because DH1 did 61m opening day. OW for DH2 is dead though. What a wonderful movie DH2 was. 

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Pretty funny seeing some people trying to cling on to any sign of underperformance for this movie 

This was supposed to be #1 of the year, so I'm counting anything under Endgame as an under-performance. :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Show me exactly what was canceled from Disney? Much of the rest of the studios are putting out crap.

Again if you hate live action then skip it. No one is forcing you and frankly why see something you hate?

Let's just say I don't think Favreau could have made Chef 2 while he was making this.

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

This, 100%. It's shaping the industry, reverberating effects of how and what movies are being made, etc. That's the practical reason to be against certain films without simply being able to ignore them.

Edited by LateReg
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Disney is not to blame for this though, the general audience who want to see their childhood movies remade in live action are. it doesn't matter if the films are great or not as long as there's an audience to see them. blockbuster filmmaking is a primarily a business first, art second. So look how much money the last 2 Disney remakes have done and try to tell the shareholder investors that they've made a bad investment. 

This is a crazy year! Everything is Disney. I wonder how the other half of the summer will do, if films like Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Hobbs & Shaw, and Good Boys could pull in some decent cash that would be great! 

But everything up until IT 2 looks like things will do sub-par. But Disney is definitely making most of the cash this year, I think that’s a strange summer story and story of 2019.

2019’s only success stories this year have been The Upside, Disney, John Wick 3 having a large improvement from its predecessor as third films die off fast or increase just a small margin, Rocketman/Yesterday being more successful than franchises like Men In Black or X-Men for example. Us as well, outgrossed dead franchises.

As for so far the losers, Fox although they’ve had Disney merger they can’t have a hit. Breakthrough was a hit for the but all else failed. Little movies have bombed specular. Also sequels except Disney or John Wick 3,all underperformed or paled in comparison to their predecessors. 

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Disney is not to blame for this though, the general audience who want to see their childhood movies remade in live action are. it doesn't matter if the films are great or not as long as there's an audience to see them. blockbuster filmmaking is a primarily a business first, art second. So look how much money the last 2 Disney remakes have done and try to tell the shareholder investors that they've made a bad investment. 

I’m pretty sure Disney was the one that decided to do shot-for-shot remakes in the first place

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1