Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

1 minute ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I can speak for myself and say most definitely. The AMC A-List was a good investment for me. I go to the movies with my son a lot. Therefore, I see a lot of PG stuff. Sometimes I drag him rather than the other way around. 😂

Definitely gonna be me once my kiddo gets a bit older. Right now I have to be too selective with a 4 year old but she's still seen like 15 movies.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@baumer the last couple of pages remind me of why you tried to put a brake on things this morning. Guru makes a comment and bam worrying about charlie being off... 🤦‍♂️

While i didnt agree with the way he said,you cannot blame him in the end

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Definitely gonna be me once my kiddo gets a bit older. Right now I have to be too selective with a 4 year old but she's still seen like 15 movies.

LOL. I know.... My son is 5. I dragged him to see Aladdin. He had no desire to see it. But he was glad that he did. He loved it- especially the genie with his “Never Had A Friend Like Me” song. I also dragged him to see Wonder Park, The Grinch, Smallfoot, etc... The movie he was dying to see and we went together on opening night was SLOP2. He also wanted to see TS4, which we also saw on opening night. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, john2000 said:

While i didnt agree with the way he said,you cannot blame him in the end

Yeah, Baumer and I go way back so nothing he says makes me cock my head because he usually says whats I am also thinking. We are both old guys around here as are most of us from the old BOM days. 

• Like 5

90% of the scenes, the non Seth Rogen ones, of this CGI remake ONLY work because of the Madeleines de Proust effect.

With each scene and moment, your brain cells connect themselves to the sweet memories you have of all those moments from the original.

I make you this proposition :

if you hadn't seen the original Lion King, you d realize how soulless this new version really is and you would feel pretty much nothing from the main beats of the story.

The blank stares the lions/animals are exchanging throughout are kinda goofy, sad and embarrassing.

Problem of my proposition :

the entire planet has seen the original, it is probably one of the most seen movie in the history of film.

In the end,

the Madeleines and Disney win.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

For those wondering about 1st day comscores from recent "family" movies...

Spidey - Screen Engine/ComScore PostTrak exits are fantastic with 4 1/2 stars last night for general audiences (who made up 68% of the crowd), 5 stars for parents and 4 1/2 stars for kids under 12 (combined 32% of the crowd).

Toys 4 - Let’s allow the weekend to play out, because there’s a lot of love here for the movie with PostTrak exits exploding at 5 stars for both general audiences and parents, and under 12 kids at 4 1/2.

SLOP 2 - Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t always completely capsize a family pic, and audience exit scores on PostTrak last night were excellent, with five stars from parents and kids under 12, and 4 1/2 stars from general audiences.

Aladdin - So far, so good: ComScore/Screen Engine PostTrack exits show general audiences giving Aladdin 4 1/2 stars and a solid 69% definite recommend. Parents gave the pic four stars after turning out at 12%, and kids under 12, who repped 20% of the crowd and loved it at 4 1/2 stars.

All these movies have had very nice legs so far this summer...and all of them had kids under 12 at 4.5 stars or above after the 1st night...

A- may be where it's headed but imo it will still have legs despite that like JWFK did. Still has a chance for A. And didn't Gitesh throw out some 68 million number for Black Panther OD once, I'd say he's more conservative on the rare occasions he gives numbers.

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

90% of the scenes, the non Seth Rogen ones, of this CGI remake ONLY work because of the Madeleines de Proust effect.

With each scene and moment, your brain cells connect themselves to the sweet memories you have of all those moments from the original.

I make you this proposition :

if you hadn't seen the original Lion King, you d realize how soulless this new version really is and you would feel pretty much nothing from the main beats of the story.

The blank stares the lions/animals are exchanging throughout are kinda goofy, sad and embarrassing.

Problem of my proposition :

the entire planet has seen the original, it is probably one of the most seen movie in the history of film.

In the end,

the Madeleines and Disney win.

You can really think of Disney as a company that thrives on that effect. In the early days, Walt created a foundation of films that would live forever in one form or another. After the dry spell of the 1970's and most of the 80's, it started up again. Then the pixar/computer animated. Now, in a way to keep that established foundation alive and to tap into the profound memories, they are remaking the films. And, all the while, they revive the stuff at their parks that are associated. At the same time, the Disney parks themselves use this "Proust Effect" from the sights, sounds, tastes, and even (or maybe subtly mostly) the smells.

Disney's become a company that has intertwined all of their entities rather than creating new films that are disconnected from everything else (and thus, in the past have failed). Even their ONLY successful live action franchise is closely tied to their parks. It's just how they function.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yep. Obviously people are drinking the kool aid, at least for OW. Not convinced legs will hold up. Still not ruling out below BatB.

Do you think it's going under 200? Because if it hits 200 I really cannot see how it misses 550. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yep. Obviously people are drinking the kool aid, at least for OW. Not convinced legs will hold up. Still not ruling out below BatB.

Lol, there's no way in hell.

1 minute ago, Rthhome said:

Couple hours ago I  was thinking TLK 78-82, went with 80m which I think seems to be where others are thinking atm., see how it goes into evening Pre-sales is always a big factor

Thank you RTH. So Charlie was way off with this like he was with Spidey 😞

2 minutes ago, Rthhome said:

Couple hours ago I  was thinking TLK 78-82, went with 80m which I think seems to be where others are thinking atm., see how it goes into evening Pre-sales is always a big factor

If it has about a 15% drop Saturday and a 20% drop on Sunday (not a lock mind you, but let's just use that), that gives us a range of about 197.3-207.5. So let's say about 195-210 right about now.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Rthhome said:

Lol some people are sad about this.

kaixfXl.gif

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

All time seem to start in 1980s , there was massive hype also back in the days that Hollywood and movie were much more popular than now.

The opening day of Gone With the Wind (that sold millions of copy before the movie release) was made an state holiday in some place and got days of parades, the premiere looked like this:

gwtwpr32.jpg

Copy%20of%20Atlanta%20premiere%20of%20GW

It apparently drew 1 million visitor to the city.

Not sure about Independance Day on the same step than a Force Awaken or Episode 1, those movie broke record by big amount, D-Day opening a monday make it harder to judge too so maybe it is legitimate. But the first days of Phantom it did 28m versus 11.1m for Independence day.

As an FYI, both those buildings pictured in the 2nd photo of Atlanta premier are still there (the one with the curved building on the left).

The building on the left is a condo tower. it was built in that curved shape so the trolley could go around in front of it. 

The top of the building across the street is the Georgian Terrace Hotel. That is where the stars of GWtW stayed while in Atlanta. The street in-between them is Ponce De Leon Ave. While the street that is clear for the parade is Peachtree Street. Across Peachtree Street from the Georgian Terrace (unfortunately not shown in the picture) is the Fox Theater - which is a gorgeous building with a cool history. Well worth a visit if you are ever in Atlanta. That is not where the preview was though, the preview was at a different movie house the Loew's Grand -which was torn down in the 1970's to make way for the Georgia Pacific HQ building.

My daughter lives about 4 blocks north of where that picture was taken while my office is about 4 blocks south of it. 

For any geek types out there the Dragon Con parade starts just over a block south of where the picture was taken every Labor day Saturday.

Edited by RamblinRed
  • Like 3