Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

Just now, Molek said:

No just wondering if he made a small accidental mistake somewhere in case, since the other sources are pointing to 80

If Charlie's source overestimates by 8.7% (25 previews vs 23 previews), then OD will be $85 from his $93 estimate

Charlie does not have a source for previews. he was just predicting based on early numbers and Friday PS data. But he is extrapolating OD based on real time BO data.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Molek said:

No just wondering if he made a small accidental mistake somewhere in case, since the other sources are pointing to 80

If Charlie's source overestimates by 8.7% (25 previews vs 23 previews), then OD will be $85 from his $93 estimate

we will know soon enough either way

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

For those wondering about 1st day comscores from recent "family" movies...

Spidey - Screen Engine/ComScore PostTrak exits are fantastic with 4 1/2 stars last night for general audiences (who made up 68% of the crowd), 5 stars for parents and 4 1/2 stars for kids under 12 (combined 32% of the crowd).

Toys 4 - Let’s allow the weekend to play out, because there’s a lot of love here for the movie with PostTrak exits exploding at 5 stars for both general audiences and parents, and under 12 kids at 4 1/2.

SLOP 2 - Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t always completely capsize a family pic, and audience exit scores on PostTrak last night were excellent, with five stars from parents and kids under 12, and 4 1/2 stars from general audiences.

Aladdin - So far, so good: ComScore/Screen Engine PostTrack exits show general audiences giving Aladdin 4 1/2 stars and a solid 69% definite recommend. Parents gave the pic four stars after turning out at 12%, and kids under 12, who repped 20% of the crowd and loved it at 4 1/2 stars.

All these movies have had very nice legs so far this summer...and all of them had kids under 12 at 4.5 stars or above after the 1st night...

A- CinemaScore instead of A might happen then?

I'm guessing it's quite scary for children due to the photorealism.

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

That 11.1 is the Tuesday night preview numbers starting at 5PM; Money that is usually tied into opening day but some reason mojo lists it separately. ID4 almost beat the opening weekend despite opening Tuesday night.

In 1999 ticket sales, ID4's 5 day totals $111m vs. Episode 1's $105m 

I'd take this is a step further and say if it both films opened on Fridays, I'd say they both open right around $75m though ID4 with cheaper ticket prices.

6 minutes ago, Molek said:

It wouldn't be a mistake...it would be using a pre-existing comp multiplier to a movie which might have unprecented presale/walkup ratios for its type...he gave the presales number for the day...where it goes from there is always a guess...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Deadline put Spidey at 38-43 and it finished within that range. So generally mid day numbers for blockbusters are within range. But here Charlie seems way higher than all other sources. I hope he is right.

I hope @Rthhome also checks in this evening.

The wide range is probably due to the challenge estimating walk-up factor for a movie like this. CBMs are usually very presale heavy, so you can already have a decent picture of final numbers by early afternoon. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, excel1 said:

In 1999 ticket sales, ID4's 5 day totals $111m vs. Episode 1's $105m 

Was helped by summer days I imagine but it is still nuts, that make it a good argument for Independance Day being the best trailer of all time.

• Like 1

To correct Excel on a point that shouldn't need to be said considering how long he has been around, previews were never counted in the opening day before the 2012 massacre and change in habits / reporting. BOM is not making things up or incorrectly reporting things be it for I.D. or for Pirates 3 and Shrek 3 or even Superman 2013. 

The shift to including previews as part of OD was a big uproar that BOM actually faught against since it would skew other / older data to look weird when it was actually correct. 

Also, ignore him when it comes to OW stuff, any opportunity to down Avengers touching 200m before his precious Dark Knight could is one that he hasnt failed to take in the last 7 years. Which is another thing that makes his higher ranking for Harry 8 all the more eyebrow raising. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Was helped by summer days I imagine but it is still nuts, that make it a good argument for Independance Day being the best trailer of all time.

That was a fantastic trailer for sure. And we mustn’t forget the Super Bowl teaser (which started that whole trend!)

That shot of the White House blowing up was amazing in 1996. Truly the pinnacle of the art of building intricately detailed models, then blowing them up.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Do women watch more movies than men?

I can speak for myself and say most definitely. The AMC A-List was a good investment for me. I go to the movies with my son a lot. Therefore, I see a lot of PG stuff. Sometimes I drag him rather than the other way around. 😂

• Haha 2