eddyxx

Fantastic Four | Marvel Studios | July 25, 2025 | Matt Shakman directs

I think this is a low floor, high ceiling affair.

Yes CBM does not guarantee success and it will need for its trailers to convince people, but if it does, that period, the machine around to sell it and distribute it, the 4 quadrant, action-comedy, it can be big. FIrst time movie director,,, we will not know until we do.

7 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

The internet in 2024:

Bandwagons. Bandwagons everywhere

I mean, I get reasons to be... shall we say, "cautious" (though I'd be more concerned about the knock off effects of the writers strike than recent Marvel troubles as having disruptions during pre-production is never a great thing).  But at the same time, let's say Marvel did the infamous "course correction"/pivot that folks have been saying they needed to do for months.

Project development times being what they are we really won't see the full effects until things like, oh hey, Fantastic Four see the light of day, given that other movies/TV shows were in active development/shooting before most changes could possibly be applied.  Only so much one can do with reshoots/edits after the fact.

(which is why I particularly found the comment about Echo funny, given that was completely in the can in 2022)

I'm gonna keep reminding people about how insanely long development time is, cause apparently... it's needed.  Hell, even F4 isn't gonna be immune from this given a decent chunk of pre-production (especially at the planning/concept stage) would have been done before any/most of the pivots/course corrections. 

I do agree that DP3 isn't gonna say much about the prospects of F4.  But I disagree that the quality of, say, Cap 4 will say very much given how much of projects like that were already baking in the oven before changes could be made.

I made an analogy a few weeks back about the difficulty of changing/fixing an engine of a speeding locomotive that's racing down the tracks (though there I applied it to planning out the MCU as a whole as opposed to work on any given movie, but it still fits). That's the situation with Captain America 4 and to a smaller degree Thunderbolts*.  Far easier, if still difficult, to work on the engine before it leaves the station.  As such comparing the two situations can only go so far.

NB:  While it is true that Thunderbolts had not yet started filming, it was literally about to before it was put on pause thanks to the writers strike.  If we want to switch to a cake analogy, the cake was prepared, but not quite put in the oven.  It is possible that the cake could be tinkered with or even overhauled.  But unless the ingredients are radically overhauled (possible!) still a lot of things were baked in before pivots could be made. 

Or rather, they could be radically overhauled, but it's still more difficult to radically change things as you're about to put something in the oven than when one is going to the store to get the ingredients for whatever your baking (including deciding to get pie instead of cake).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

500M for supes? One of the most iconic pg? If its great No way 

FF with a good reviews should hit 500/600M

Maybe a few years ago. BUt with CBM's in a steep decline, that no longer holds.

At least the cast seems to visually fit the classic FF look. At least they got rid of the Ultimate FF, which simply did not work the two times they tried it.

Bachmann seems a good choide for Ben Grimm I note he is Jewish, which might be a point since Ben Grimm being a Jew has becom such an important part of the charecter.

The producers of this and the producers of the Mando movie are probably working out the shooting schedules for Pedro on the two movies right now. I can't see how he will not be doing some shuttling between the two.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

The producers of this and the producers of the Mando movie are probably working out the shooting schedules for Pedro on the two movies right now. I can't see how he will not be doing some shuttling between the two.

Pedro will probably just need to do voice work for Mando anyway. Maybe a scene or two with his face exposed at the most.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Pedro will probably just need to do voice work for Mando anyway. Maybe a scene or two with his face exposed at the most.

Pedro played Mando throuth the TV shows; he "acted" with body language in a lot of the scenes.  Acting not just about the voice, or even facial expressions, you know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Just because it keeps making rounds as "official" art: this is by Marvel artist Phil Noto but it doesn't appear to be made actually for the movie, just by him inspired by the poster released today.

I just wanna point out that I’m black so people don’t think this is racist but I’m glad the thing is still blue eyed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Putting this near Supes and JW doesn't seem like a wise idea. 

If both movies knock it out of the park, it could turn the tide for cbms at the box office. The genre’s big test, if you will.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I will say, them announcing this cast now and not at Comic-Con is a likely indication they'll be sitting this year out too. Because let's face it, this is the only trump card they had for that, and they chose to play it now. If they still go this year, then all they'll have to show are Disney+ fodder.

Waiting til comic con would be dumb when the movie is about to start filming next month.

8 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Just because it keeps making rounds as "official" art: this is by Marvel artist Phil Noto but it doesn't appear to be made actually for the movie, just by him inspired by the poster released today.

My god I love this suits and this setting but unfortunately I have no confidence for this movie :( 

Let's be real. More than recency bias, some folks here just want to see this franchise crater and anything suggesting otherwise makes their brain boil and it's funny how some try to hide it by trying to sound reasonable. But there's also a specific individual who just hates anything related to Disney and we all know who that is. And as obnoxious as he is, I pray to God he has someone to look over him because I suspect he won't be having a lot of fun when Inside Out 2 and Deadpool 3 comes out.

I just find it funny that these folks are the ones talking the most about the MCU than even the ones who enjoy it here.

Edited by justnumbers
  • Like 2

The 60s setting would be a neat idea. Superhero movies now need something, anything, that separates them from the rest and that’s as good an angle as any if they really lean into it. I’ve long said they should do this with Bond for 2-3 films. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The 60s setting would be a neat idea. Superhero movies now need something, anything, that separates them from the rest and that’s as good an angle as any if they really lean into it. I’ve long said they should do this with Bond for 2-3 films. 

Outside of the aesthetics, it'd be interesting cause it'd mean they'd be practically seperate from the MCU.