Eric Lasagna

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

5 hours ago, LonePirate said:

So The Farewell is looking to top out around $15M-$20M. Its PTA is slightly ahead of OUATIH despite the latter playing in roughly 9x the number of theaters. Further expansions are unlikely to do much except cannibalize existing locations. Still, it's a nice haul for a very summer unfriendly movie with no big name stars (Awkwafina is not a big name star, sorry). It's definitely worth seeing if you are tired of superheroes, sequels and spin-offs.

Not sure why you’re restricting the movie to those who don’t like certain types of movies. The Farewell should be and is worth seeing even if you like the “superheroes, sequels and spin-offs.”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hobbs & Shaw’s debut is really solid for a spin-off! It’s a far cry from the other films in the franchise, but when you consider that they all were April to earlier in the summer releases and that this is one of Dwayne Johnson and  Jason Statham’s top debuts that’s excellent! With the lack of blockbusters coming, this could potentially hold slightly better than its predecessors as well. Overall for right now Hobbs & Shaw should shoot up north of $170 million domestic.

The Lion King still pulling strong for Disney. As it’s easily now the highest grossing in film to be released in July, which it outgrossed Dead Man Chests $423.3 million domestic total this weekend. Overall $550 million or so domestic doesn’t seem like a problem at this point.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is playing similar to Inglorious Basterds. This one will be one of the most awesome success stories of the summer. Who would’ve thought a film like this would outgross Godzilla or X-Men and so on, this will be one of my favorite box office runs to look forward to. Hopefully this would shine between $120-$125 million domestic! 

Spider-Man, Yesterday, and Toy Story 4 still holding on strong as each film will probably play healthy for the somewhat quieter end to summer. Spidey should do $400 million, Yesterday $75 million, and Toy Story $425 million domestic if not more for each movie. 

The Farewell is having a solid smaller expansion. this should play for the dog days of summer for sure.

Crawl holding decent as it can come close to $40 million domestic. Paramount should be pleased with this before the DOA opening weekend of Dora. 

Aladdin has been playing on the top 10 about as long as a movie did in the 80’s or 90’s! Domestic total may be tough for this maybe a total close to The Jungle Book. 

Annabelle still hangin around. $75 million or so domestically will be beast hopefully $80 million.

Secret Life Of Pets hanging on, John Wick 3 passed $170 million this weekend. 

Next weekend Hobbs & Shaw will easily lead the top spot as new releases such as Dora will do on-par with Christopher Robin, Kitchen around $10-$12 million, Scary Stories will do $7-$8.5 million, Art Of Racing In The Rain will do $5.5-$7 million, and Brian Banks will do $3 million. 

The top 12 was up almost 15% from last year when Mission Impossible:Fallout led while Christopher Robin did average, and The Darkest Minds and the underrated Spy Who Dumped Me bombed.

5 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Hobbs & Shaw’s debut is really solid for a spin-off!

Is it more than OK ?

https://deadline.com/2019/08/fast-and-furious-presents-hobbs-and-shaw-opening-weekend-results-international-box-office-1202659827/

Looking at H&S’ 43% drop from F8 versus other spinoff drops, Bumblebee’s dip from the previous Transformers title was 36% and Fantastic Beasts saw a 31% drop from the final Harry Potter movie.

And those spin off didn't star regular character of the main series ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Oh I meant the theaters AND the malls. Fuck that trash.

Well I actually never liked Rio Sul that much tbh... the idea is cool but the mall has no offer:rofl:  The Barreiro one is fine as far as mini proportions ones go.

Either way, I'll take them over some other trash I've been to :rofl:

Edited by MCKillswitch123

18 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well I actually never liked Rio Sul that much tbh... the idea is cool but the mall has no offer:rofl:  The Barreiro one is fine as far as mini proportions ones go.

Either way, I'll take them over some other trash I've been to :rofl:

Forum Barreiro's top floor is a Chinese store and a gym (plus Castello Lopes cinemas and some restaurants). That is it. They have lost all the main brands they had in the top floor. All that is left is a Pingo Doce of the size of my attic, a Worten, a Sport Zone and 2-3 more stores with decent name recognition on the first floor.

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 1

Thought H&S would do better, honestly. That number seems like the absolute floor of okayness, anything less would have been outright disappointing. Put it this way: Vin Diesel is probably mildly relieved.

ETA: I haven't even checked OS numbers where I'm sure it's doing well.

Edited by Hatebox

12 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Thought H&S would do better, honestly. That number seems like the absolute floor of okayness, anything less would have been outright disappointing. Put it this way: Vin Diesel is probably mildly relieved.

ETA: I haven't even checked OS numbers where I'm sure it's doing well.

I think Vin will be relieved right up until Fast & Furious 9 makes less in its OW than this did...

21 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just watched Overlord from last year and it was great! Shame I missed it in cinemas. Worth a watch. 

It was me and like 4 or 5 other guys in the cinema when I saw it last year. But I loved it. One of my favorites of 2018. Such a perfectly-paced movie... 

• Like 1

Toy Story 4 is having some awesome legs!  After it’s opening I didn’t expect it to pass TS3 and thought it might not even make it to $400M but I’ll be damned if it isn’t holding in there strong. It should play well through the rest of the month and will probably get the usual Disney Labor Day boost.

unpopular opinion but I believe Aladdin has underperformed especially overseas due to competition. It should have easily cleared atleast 800M OS which was the ceiling. I also admit it over-performed slightly DOM i was not expecting 360ish finish. I was in the 270-300 camp. 

In a normal release without much of competition it should have cleared 800-850M OS easy which means it has under-performed and it can be tributed to competition it was hit hard by the summer releases

Edited by Geo1500
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

unpopular opinion but I believe Aladdin has underperformed especially overseas due to competition. It should have easily cleared atleast 800M OS which was the ceiling. I also admit it over-performed slightly DOM i was not expecting 360ish finish. I was in the 270-300 camp. 

In a normal release without much of competition it should have cleared 800-850M OS easy which means it has under-performed and it can be tributed to competition it was hit hard by the summer releases

I have said that many times in the forums these last months ... Aladdin scheduled on july 2020 (being the 2020 summer tentpole ala "TLK 2019 summer tentpole") could have put Aladdin on BATB numbers or even higher (dom and ww). But anyway, considering all the noise around Aladdin teasers and trailers ... I accept the 1B ww as a success. 

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

I was under the impression you weren't suppose to release your Rough Cut of a movie.  

Counter-point: The pacing was one of the film's strongest attributes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Holy Hell, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is bloat pile of bullshit.  

Was planning to watch it on Saturday but saw Hobbs and Shaw for the second time instead. Looks like I made the right decision :ph34r::sherlock:

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1