Eric Duncan

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

WOM is pretty much the same as the previous Furious movies. Would be surprised at anything more than a 2.6x multiplier (would say 2.5x multiplier but free August and smaller opening gives it leeway to have a slightly better multiplier).

The Meg had a 3.2x multi (145M on a 45M OW) and had a similar release date last year with Statham as lead. so with a free august and a modest opening in the 50s I think 2.8-3x multi could happen.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

That's lower than OUATIH and that one was frontloaded af. So are we expecting the same for H&S or better weekend? 40M would be a horrific drop from 60M tracking. 

Johnson release tend to have an high Box office / pre-sales multiplier and back loaded (strong appeal toward the moms), will see for this, but it could get easily a high 9.x.

4 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Race 3 is fucking terrible. And I had one of the best times I've ever had in a theater watching it 😂

Why will you watch it?

Any sensible Indian won't watch it and you watched it 😛

BTW Race 3 is different from Dhoom franchise.

13 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

The Meg had a 3.2x multi 

I forgot all about The Meg. 

What a let down. Half the cool stuff from the trailers and posters weren’t in the film. 

It should’ve been a Piranha level entertainment gore fest and instead we got a bad CGI bore with horrendous acting. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

29 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's insane that a spin-off costs $200m but I suspect Universal knows they'll make it back and then some.

That is the price of a star-led action franchise tentpole in 2019.

5.8m is definitely a better number, glad to see it go up instead of down lol. 

Overall should lead to an over / under 60m weekend then. 

Question becomes how close to 150m does it get in the end - the 150m+ pool is really empty of non Disney pics this year.

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I forgot all about The Meg. 

What a let down. Half the cool stuff from the trailers and posters weren’t in the film. 

It should’ve been a Piranha level entertainment gore fest and instead we got a bad CGI bore with horrendous acting. 

haven't seen that film but most of the scores online for it have been negative, rotten from critics/audiences 5.6/10 on IMDB and a B cinemascore. sometimes I wonder how movies with such meh reception mange a 3.2x multi from a 45M OW but here we are. 

42 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

The Meg had a 3.2x multi (145M on a 45M OW) and had a similar release date last year with Statham as lead. so with a free august and a modest opening in the 50s I think 2.8-3x multi could happen.

And that was a film that didn't really have an inbuilt fanbase (pretty clear based on the OW internal multiplier too). If anything that makes a better case for this movie doing around 2.6x. The F&F franchise is pretty frontloaded even by blockbuster standards.

If the WOM is good for H&S and it over indexes on the West Coast I wonder if that will hurt OUaTiH this weekend as there is definitely overlap in audience and both would be over indexing on the West Coast (though OUaTiH also over indexes in the NE Coastal area which H&S may not).

While the preview number is good, and will likely lead to a decent $50-60M opening weekend, and a path to a solid profit once the international figures kick in, it's really not a good sign for the future of the F&F franchise. 

I think I've heard rumours that the F&F movies with the core cast is supposed to end after F10. I'm surely there has been hope that the brand can survive if that happens with a new cast. If two bankable box office draws can't sustain the success of the last film, then any other spinning off is going to have a lot of trouble. 

22 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Why the hell would a spin off well received by both critics and audiences alike, that is going to gross at least $800m WW 'hurt' the main franchise as if it was a Solow situation?

We don't even know if a "Solo" situation is actually in play FOR Star Wars, or if it's just internet chatter at this point, too.... Considering this is the first spinoff I guess you'd want to compare this more to Rogue One anyway, right?

But I agree that if the mainline Fast & Furious movies are in decline, that's probably not going to have anything to do with what Hobbs & Shaw does... it'll be more like a judgment on Vin Diesel as a solo star. And aside from the Fast and Furious series, that judgment has been handed down many... MANY times in the past... and it's almost always not a good one. I don't know if Vin - Rock - Statham + Cena is good math all by itself... 

If they're going to end Fast & Furious mainline at 10 no matter what that's fine, as Hobbs & Shaw seems to be "rebooting" what Fast & Furious can be anyway. 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

14 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Remember that time Disney Over-indexed on Puerto Rican fudge?

What are you talking about?

There are many studios that are guilty of the "Puerto Rican fugde", but Disney is one of the only studios that does not regularly fudge Puerto Rican numbers (Fox, for example, was repeatedly caught double counting Puerto Rico numbers)

5 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Why the hell would a spin off well received by both critics and audiences alike, that is going to gross at least $800m WW 'hurt' the main franchise as if it was a Solow situation?

Couldnt agree more, if anything H&S will help build goodwill towards Fast 9. Its also a big deal for a franchise like Fast to successfully launch a spin off

• Thanks 1