Eric Duncan

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

All in all, and taking other cities into account, think I'll call for a flat 6m in previews, +/- .4m.

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

tenor.gif

I'M BACK, EVERYONE!!!!!

-----

Oh, BTW Deadline?  Next time wait about 15 more minutes before posting your early estimates... If you know what I mean. :rock:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

What Minnale said: Presales for the Thursday previews were worse than those of OUATIH plus its shows started 3 hours later and still H&S managed it to catch up OUATIH in the actual Thursday numbers.
I'm confident that walk ups plus WOM will push it over 60M.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, vafrow said:

While the preview number is good, and will likely lead to a decent $50-60M opening weekend, and a path to a solid profit once the international figures kick in, it's really not a good sign for the future of the F&F franchise. 

I think I've heard rumours that the F&F movies with the core cast is supposed to end after F10. I'm surely there has been hope that the brand can survive if that happens with a new cast. If two bankable box office draws can't sustain the success of the last film, then any other spinning off is going to have a lot of trouble. 

How many franchises tend to make a billion dollars into their ninth film? All good things must come to an end. I'm sure Universal has made plenty of money off this series. I'm sure they'll be fine no matter what this one ends up making it.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

How many franchises tend to make a billion dollars into their ninth film? All good things must come to an end. I'm sure Universal has made plenty of money off this series. I'm sure they'll be fine no matter what this one ends up making it.

How many franchises have a 200m budget for their ninth film?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I mean fast and furious 7 did 300 million more than fast and furious 8 

fast and furious 9 will drop probably 

but hobbs and Shaw the movie is well received and will easily make a profit 

Seventh was boosted by Paul’s death though

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Fair enough. But, I think there was probably hope that the focus on two bankable stars may have allowed this film to grab new viewers to the series. 

At least Universal seemed to approach this with caution, and didn't line up an aggressive sequel and spin off plan with the intention of a cinematic universe. They put out a solid monkey making big budget film and can figure out their next steps. 

Eight more potential $1B-grossers and the top 50 highest grossing films will all be billionaires. 💁🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️

Before 2009 and the 2010’s-decade, we had like...4 movies that made over $1B WW, which were TDK, POTC: DMC, LOTR: ROTK & Titanic.

The box office landscape has considerably changed since then. 👩🏻

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Eight more potential $1B-grossers and the top 50 highest grossing films will all be billionaires. 💁🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️

Before 2009 and the 2010’s-decade, we had like...4 movies that made over $1B WW, which were TDK, POTC: DMC, LOTR: ROTK & Titanic.

The box office landscape has considerably changed since then. 👩🏻

Two main factors - Marvel and China, I guess?

11 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Seventh was boosted by Paul’s death though

Yeah and see you again that song was just massive. That was actually my high school graduation 

song has over 3 billion views

i wonder if the franchise will return to normal numbers fast and furious 6 range 700-900 million 

11 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Fair enough. But, I think there was probably hope that the focus on two bankable stars may have allowed this film to grab new viewers to the series. 

At least Universal seemed to approach this with caution, and didn't line up an aggressive sequel and spin off plan with the intention of a cinematic universe. They put out a solid monkey making big budget film and can figure out their next steps. 

What fans have responded to the most in this franchise is the family element, thus they don't want to take sides. Same reason Fast 9 will take a hit no matter what new names they bring in. So for Fast 10, it needs to be all available hands on deck.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Still think this is a lackluster opening if previews are any indication. I understand it's not easy for movies to hit 100+ OWs like Disney makes it look, but at the same time this non-Disney crop this year has just done abysmally. Had to rely on hard Disney counter programming R rated films like Us and JW3 to be the big ones, movies that didn't even touch 200m. The non-R Disney blockbuster outlook couldn't be more dire. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Disbelief 1