grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

25 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Idk people are still bitching about the other matrix sequels. 

I’m not saying that people won’t bitch about movies they thought were bad — just that in my experience if someone says “actually Revolution was great” the reaction is more of a stunned silence, rolled eyes, move on. I think it’ll be similar here.

Rewatched this today, my initial assessment was mostly positive but I wouldn't say I loved it or anything. Now? Absolutely loved this movie. A lot of elements I was unsure on or missed suddenly clicked for me (especially the final scene). A very angry film and a damning view of our society and culture but also extremely sincere and heartfelt, never cynical. I got more emotional this time than the first. The action until the bike chase is still very meh though.

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

Absolutely horrible movie.

The entire movie is basically Exposition, really long exposition, exposition, shit action sequence, really really long exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, incredibly underwhelming final action sequence, exposition and then it's over and you think no wait that's not it is it, because if it is then what was the point? two and a half hours, there's no story and it feels like half a film. 

yep. lots of exposition without showing anything. thats a total failure. only ave rating 6 on imdb.

action full of shaky edited cam- not smooth at all - like a straight to DVD flick or a low budget TV show.

Edited by Halba

Things changed from my test screening (not VFX or coloring and all that)

The "making Matrix 4" section was much longer with more jokes and 2 more quick appearances for Christina Ricci

The flashbacks to the original trilogy stopped after Neo comes into the real world instead of going almost till the end like in the final cut

A lot of quick inserts to character reactions in scenes

The ending chase is a bit trimmed, there were a couple more big moments of Neo diverting bullets which I guess they felt were too repetitive

Maybe alternate takes and angles, but not 100% on this

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

finished watching after quitting yesterday. give it maybe a 5/10, the soundtrack was a definite plus. Also jonathan groff performance as

Spoiler

Smith

so basically agreeing with the top critics on RT.

Edited by Halba

I guess I'm not exactly surprised by the reception given the deeply divisive reactions to everything the Wachowskis have made since the first Matrix, but I suspect that much like Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas, time will be very kind to this film's reputation.

I thought it was tons of fun, and I love that we got a sequel that takes some big swings and is ultimately guided by just how much its major players really love the characters they created 22 years ago.

• Like 2

It’s very, very bad, and what surprised me the most was how zero budget this thing looked. None of the craft present in the trilogy, that made it so iconic and enjoyable, is anywhere to be seen. It’s so bad.

I’m probably rewatching the trilogy in the future, but I’m not touching this one ever again.

Matrix 8/10

Matrix Reloaded 7/10

Matrix Revolutions 6/10

Matrix Resurrections 0/10

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, Goffe said:

It’s very, very bad, and what surprised me the most was how zero budget this thing looked. None of the craft present in the trilogy, that made it so iconic and enjoyable, is anywhere to be seen. It’s so bad.

I’m probably rewatching the trilogy in the future, but I’m not touching this one ever again.

Matrix 8/10

Matrix Reloaded 7/10

Matrix Revolutions 6/10

Matrix Resurrections 0/10

agree. 45 min in and i thought zero. it made no sense. didnt explain the

Spoiler

60 year gap adequately.

Edited by Halba

For the people that have criticisms of this:

1) I will always argue that it probably makes a difference watching it at-home vs. in a theater. I always like to give filmmakers that benefit as these kind of spectacles are obviously designed first and foremost for the big screen.  

But 2) Most importantly -- A reminder that this Matrix only had one Wachowski involved -- it's very possible that the elements being brought up here would have evened out had the other Wachowski been writing/co-directing!  

Kudos to Warner Bros allowing Lana's vision to proceed, no matter how obtuse it seems!  

(I haven't seen it, yet.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

The most shocking thing is how poor are the choreographies in the film. I understand that it can’t match the original, but my god. And on top of that the way action scenes are shot. People can read as much as they want into this - it’s very simply a bad film. 

I find it fascinating how two recent Hollywood action films that got great write-ups for their choreography in the John Wick series and Shang-Chi, both were made with folks who had worked on the Matrix franchise. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure how this got made with such a terrible script. This script couldn't help me pass my screenwriting classes I took 15 years ago. This film is an incoherent mess. It has some good ideas, like Neo questioning reality and his sanity and Neo and Trinity faintly remembering each other in the coffee shop. But the film's execution of these ideas is incredibly bad. This is like a first draft of a script, which needs at least two more rewrites with input from a script doctor or two. 

Why does everything look so cheap? And discount Morpheus and Smith were both cringey, jokey, and unnecessary. Just come up with new, badass characters instead of SNL level spoofs of these legendary characters/actors. Matrix Ressurections is an absolute disaster! Studios have now ruined the Terninator, Star Wars, and Matrix franchises. 

3/10