grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

5 hours ago, AJG said:

Someone just pointed out the singer of that horrid Rage Against The Machine cover at the end of the film was the same girl that pissed on that guys face live on stage about three weeks ago. A small world indeed.

lmfao what? That was a terrible fucking cover though.

I'm a huge fan of the Matrix and Matrix Reloaded. Matrix Revolutions was just okay. Matrix Resurrections was terrible! I'm amazed how bad it was. This movie was 2 hours of incoherent psychobabble, comedic takes on legendary characters, with 30 minutes of poorly shot fight scenes. The plot never really went anywhere. Matrix Resurrections is a disaster and franchise killer! I'll never watch this garbage again. My only positives for this movie were Trinity and Bugs. I thought both characters were well acted and fleshed out. Everything else was poorly executed. 

Matrix Resurrections 

3/10

Edited by IcarusReborn

18 hours ago, AJG said:

This is the feature length equivalent of the joke in a bad sitcom reboot about how there are too many reboots, as if by mentioning the trend absolves them from the apparent crime of being a part of it.

We learn very little about the evolution of the returning world and characters. The film functions more like an open ended and entirely optional DLC prologue attached to something that concluded 20 years ago (speaking of DLC there’s a weird amount of insults lobbed at video gaming here). 
The new humans all look like dorks wearing Matrix cosplay. The action was done better in 2003. The movies looked better in 2003 (this thing looks more like a Marvel sequel).

NPH is fun. The filmmakers truly struggle to find any reason as to why Morpheus and another character are brought back, but they’re fun too. The film isn’t particularly interesting but it shuffles along well enough. Frankly I think it’s far more watchable then Revolutions - I just don’t respect it.

If you want to make a Matrix sequel then just make a Matrix sequel. Adding such a forceful and blatant faux-statement on sequels does not hide that this is one of the laziest and plain legacy sequels out there (at least Space Jam 2 tried to do something). The movie is so embarrassed to exist that they have a returning character yell about how there’s a lack of ‘originality’ and ‘too many sequels’, in the background of kung-fu fight scene for 5 minutes.

LOW LOW RENTAL. A pathetic film.

100% Agreed! Perfectly stated review of this flick. 

Edited by IcarusReborn

On 12/22/2021 at 4:58 AM, YourMother said:

I watched Reloaded for the first time last night and by god, it might be one of the best sequels. The action was cranked up to eleven, the relationship between Neo and Trinity is so much better and the concept of Zion is so damn cool. I love it.

Reloaded is a really good movie!

Its amusing to me how much the The Matrix quadrilogy now mirrors the Alien quadrilogy.

The OG movie is a modern classic of the genre in every sense, a towering achievement

The second movie is the biggest in scope and with the most action

The third movie is the disappointing boring one where the main character(s) died at the end.

The fourth movies have the same name and are big departures from the previous movies visually, tonally, and atmospherically and the main character is brought back from the dead for the sole purpose of milking the IP again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

It’s an awful cover but also kinda fits the movies meta themes? The same song…but different and worsely redone.

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't really call this movie "bad" though. I think it's competently made for the most part, but I don't know if I would go so far as to say I "liked" it? I appreciated them trying to be different than your run of the mill MCU or Universal monster blockbuster. In typical Wachowski fashion you're presented a lot of concepts, some fairly ambitious, but very few of them actually stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Its amusing to me how much the The Matrix quadrilogy now mirrors the Alien quadrilogy.

The OG movie is a modern classic of the genre in every sense, a towering achievement

The second movie is the biggest in scope and with the most action

The third movie is the disappointing boring one where the main character(s) died at the end.

The fourth movies have the same name and are big departures from the previous movies visually, tonally, and atmospherically and the main character is brought back from the dead for the sole purpose of milking the IP again.

I'd argue that unlike Reloaded Aliens is actually considered one of the best sequels ever made and on par with the original.

2 hours ago, IcarusReborn said:

I'm a huge fan of the Matrix and Matrix Reloaded. Matrix Revolutions was just okay. Matrix Resurrections was terrible! I'm amazed how bad it was. This movie was 2 hours of incoherent psychobabble, comedic takes on legendary characters, with 30 minutes of poorly shot fight scenes. The plot never really went anywhere. Matrix Resurrections is a disaster and franchise killer! I'll never watch this garbage again. My only positives for this movie were Trinity and Bugs. I thought both characters were well acted and fleshed out. Everything else was poorly executed. 

Matrix Resurrections 

3/10

Agree on everything. 
I'm also a huge Matrix fan, and i love Reloaded too. Revolutions was always the weakest link.
This crap makes Revolutions look as a masterpiece. 
4/10

9 minutes ago, mcclaine said:

Agree on everything. 
I'm also a huge Matrix fan, and i love Reloaded too. Revolutions was always the weakest link.
This crap makes Revolutions look as a masterpiece. 
4/10

I am half way through and had to stop  2 times so far. Might take me a month to finish it. 

19 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Great movie.

Unnecessary? Yes. Flawed? Yes. But still it's the best way to do another Matrix movie without rely on soft reboot or something like this.

Lana knows it's unnecessary and that the movie owns it's existance to WB desires of money, that's why it's so meta and it does incredibly clever observations about the industry. That alone is enough to respect this movie in a time that redoing the same thing over and over is the only thing that everyone seems to like.

Still, this meta thing don't overshadow the story, which this time is extremely simple (and expected considering we know the deepest discussions the Wachowskis wanted to talk about they did on the trilogy). But Ressurections is very effective in it's simplicity, and the way it expands and even upgrade some older ideas to match our new reality and social interests elevates the movie and make it relevant and very contemporary even if the story itself is "just" a love story, the ideas for Zion specifically is brilliant in how it twisted pretty much all the binary concepts of the trilogy in a few minutes (maybe it's because of moments like that some people compared to TLJ). 

I'm glad this time critics are kinder to the "manifest" type of filmmaking Wachowskis always did. Sadly i'm sure people will hate this, and i can't avoid to think many people will hate it not because of it's obvious problems but because unlike part of the audience this movie is non-conformist and refuse to be just a rehash of something already done, which is a strenght kinda surprising to achieve when it uses or remade so many iconic sequences of the trilogy.

I'm sorry, i can see your point, but doing your sequel with characters saying "there's no originality anymore, everyone wants sequels, blah blah blah" doesn't exclude your film from, well, just doing that. 
If Lana didn't want to do the film, which it seems that way, she shouldn't have done it. That's a statement i could really buy. 

• Like 1