grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's funny how she created the whole thing and don't mind of changing her approach and try something new.

Fans should learn that, not only Matrix fans to be fair.

Original and different is not good by default.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't really call this movie "bad" though. I think it's competently made for the most part, but I don't know if I would go so far as to say I "liked" it? I appreciated them trying to be different than your run of the mill MCU or Universal monster blockbuster. In typical Wachowski fashion you're presented a lot of concepts, some fairly ambitious, but very few of them actually stick.

I’m seeing it again on Friday but I kinda agree even if I enjoyed it a lot more. It’s so subversive and so lacking in giving a fuck about audience expectations that it becomes unsatisfying in certain regards. But also that in and of itself provides its own satisfaction. It’s an odd beast of a film ha.

2 hours ago, mcclaine said:

I'm sorry, i can see your point, but doing your sequel with characters saying "there's no originality anymore, everyone wants sequels, blah blah blah" doesn't exclude your film from, well, just doing that. 
If Lana didn't want to do the film, which it seems that way, she shouldn't have done it. That's a statement i could really buy. 

the point of the movie is that if they made another Matrix--especially without her--it would be a disaster and actually damaging to both the creators and IP. Another one would only exist because of studio and corporate mandates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'd rather have Lana reclaim the franchise she created instead of having it be turned into shit by the guy who wrote Free Guy.

I quite liked Free Guy, but I agree on your point. You can see the easy route they could have taken with this film by knocking out something that’s just pure OTT action like Reloaded but without the Wachowski weirdness, and I’d honestly much prefer something divisive like Resurrections to something that’s just bland and pumped out.

People might not like this film, and I understand their perspective, but it’s undeniably a Wachowski Matrix film, for better and for worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcclaine said:

I'm sorry, i can see your point, but doing your sequel with characters saying "there's no originality anymore, everyone wants sequels, blah blah blah" doesn't exclude your film from, well, just doing that. 
If Lana didn't want to do the film, which it seems that way, she shouldn't have done it. That's a statement i could really buy. 

I don't think she really didn't want to do it, or she wouldn't accept it.

I just think it wasn't an organic thing, she didn't wake up and decided to make another one. WB is trying to do it for years no matter who directs it, she probably just feel it's gonna happen without her and decided to not let someone ruin her vision and do it herself, mocking the whole thing in the process.

I believe these "there's no more originality etc" statements are just an observation, not a proof of her hating her own movie, it's the movie that helps her to deal with the death of her parents afterall, and love is in the whole project. It just have some shades to WB and these forced revival franchises the industry is doing with everything recently.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AJG said:

RIP

Harry Potter is next. 

lol Harry Potter isn't going anywhere don't be silly. Matrix might go dormant or they'll try a tv show but even then it's not dead for good. Very few studios are going to let a franchise "die" for good, haven't we all learned this by now?

Edited by clockwork

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I quite liked Free Guy, but I agree on your point. You can see the easy route they could have taken with this film by knocking out something that’s just pure OTT action like Reloaded but without the Wachowski weirdness, and I’d honestly much prefer something divisive like Resurrections to something that’s just bland and pumped out.

People might not like this film, and I understand their perspective, but it’s undeniably a Wachowski Matrix film, for better and for worse.

This is what gets me with people, like some locals around here, who rant about say Marvel movies for not being personalized, interesting, different enough or whatever and yet we get a blockbuster like this which seems to check their boxes and…look what happens when it comes to nut cutting time. 

I’m a homer for many blockbusters including Marvel and yet I was able to roll with this. I’m surprised some people hate this but then again I felt I was in the minority with Speed Racer so it’s nothing new.

• Like 2

I for one am shocked that a Wackowski who over the past two decades has been making bizarre and goofy and overtly imaginative epics that general audiences struggled made a bizarre and goofy and overtly imaginative epic that general audiences are struggling with.

(Can't wait to see it again)

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'd rather have Lana reclaim the franchise she created instead of having it be turned into shit by the guy who wrote Free Guy.

I’ve said this in my letterboxd review for one of his recent movies so I’ll say it: Please stop giving Matt Lieberman movies to screenwrite.

I haven’t seen this movie yet for myself, but regardless of what I end up thinking of it, I do admire Lana Wachowski’s decision to get involved just to ensure that this wouldn’t be the kind of movie that TFA and Ghostbusters: Afterlife ended up being.

Anyway, at least if this movie flops, that might discourage WB in the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

It dropped to 6.0 on IMDB, which is crazy low for a blockbuster on the first weekend of release. The Wachowskis simply have not connected with audiences in about 20 years.

Lol i'll bet Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving are glad they took the blue pill this time.

• Knock It Off 1