Eric Duncan

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

@MCKillswitch123 we live in a society. 3rd biggest OW ever for a superhero movie here behind IW and EG

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_3_a_6_de_outubro_2019_217485d9b1442c1c36.pdf

Surpassed Shazam's total in 4 days. It will pass Wonder Woman tomorrow.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 5

44 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Not downplaying anything. It's a movie based on a huge IP so the opening weekend is not surprising.  It's time to stop acting shocked every time a DC movie opens decently. They are not small indie movies with unknown characters.

It would have sounded more genuine and objective coming from someone else.

And we need to stop acting like revisionists every time a DC film breaks out and people are all like they saw that coming from miles away. Aquaman and Wonder Woman are the most recent example. Or just simply Joker which everyone laughed at at inception, a film nobody needed or WB lost it way. 

Edited by Dbui8743
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Dbui8743 said:

And we need to stop acting like revisionists every time a DC film breaks out and people are all like they saw that coming from miles away. Aquaman and Wonder Woman are the most recent example. Or just simply Joker which everyone laughed at at inception, a film nobody needed or WB lost it way. Just take a look at the ratio of people who were in vs who were out in that Joker below Shazam club (Shazam for god's sake).

I definitely thought months before Joker opened it would open lower than Shazam with a run similar to OUATIH. 43.5M opening and 125M domestic finish. I'm very glad to see I was far off and greatly surpassed my expectations. People shouldn't be trying to make excuses for their inaccuracies and just be glad a film overpreformed expectations in the first place. And then later you can adjust predicting methods to seem more accurate. It's never a good thing when a films underperforms because the underperformance still affects the annual BO in the end.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Not downplaying anything. It's a movie based on a huge IP so the opening weekend is not surprising.  It's time to stop acting shocked every time a DC movie opens decently. They are not small indie movies with unknown characters.

Villain movies, huge IP’s, have opened extremely poorly before. Not to mention this is rated R. 

You can act unimpressed if you so choose. 

and it didn’t just open “decently”, it broke records. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

I wonder if you said the movie will open to 90 mil+.

21 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Can someone please tell me what the new Sunday number is? I dont completely understand what's up.

There isnt a new number. One of our members made a comment based on sales he saw from the theater chain he has been tracking. No one with actual access has been around yet. Will Sunday go up? Looks quite likely, but we dont have anything new yet and probably wont for a few hours. 

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

There isnt a new number. One of our members made a comment based on sales he saw from the theater chain he has been tracking. No one with actual access has been around yet. Will Sunday go up? Looks quite likely, but we dont have anything new yet and probably wont for a few hours. 

Ok. In that case I predict $22.5M Sunday. Or is that too optimistic?

Edited by Alex SciChannel

1 minute ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Ok. In that case I predict $22.5M Sunday. Or is that too optimistic?

No true clue, but its a fine prediction. K thinks 24+ is likely which would be crazy good if it happens, but again nothing actual has been given. 

Always love a good increase. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbui8743 said:

And we need to stop acting like revisionists every time a DC film breaks out and people are all like they saw that coming from miles away. Aquaman and Wonder Woman are the most recent example. Or just simply Joker which everyone laughed at at inception, a film nobody needed or WB lost it way. 

The truth is that DC will get a hit movie as long as they make it decent with a well known character. Not once have they failed with that. Even panned garbage like Suicide Squad did over 700 million. I'm tired of seeing people act like DC is some underdog. They have a huge library of iconic characters that people are dying to see accurately represented on screen. 90 million for Joker isn't a shocking number - specially in the SH movie era. (Logan another R-rated SH movie opened with similar numbers) Also don't recall anyone laughing at Joker. It's one of their biggest characters - it made perfect sense to make it. 

• Like 1

$90M+ on OW is clearly because of the DC brand, but those are still extraordinary numbers in the 21st century for a movie as bleak as Joker. The only comparison has to be The Passion of the Christ (based on an even more popular character).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

$90M+ on OW is clearly because of the DC brand, but those are still extraordinary numbers in the 21st century for a movie as bleak as Joker. The only comparison has to be The Passion of the Christ (based on an even more popular character).

Logan

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Logan

Hmm. Maybe. Don't think Logan is as bleak, especially as there is still LOADS of action and superhero hi-jinks. There is still heroism, which is completely lacking from this. That's why legs are the biggest question at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Not at all considering that it has a similar vibe to TDK (one of the most loved SH movies of all time).  It's the return of the "heath ledger type" of Joker. People have loved dark and grim takes on the Batverse for a long time. 

4 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Not at all considering that it has a similar vibe to TDK (one of the most loved SH movies of all time).  It's the return of the "heath ledger type" of Joker. People have loved dark and grim takes on the Batverse for a long time. 

Dude, unless you can quote a post you made from well before the trailer dropped that you predicted these kind of numbers this is all just convenient, after-the-fact noise. 

• Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Hmm. Maybe. Don't think Logan is as bleak, especially as there is still LOADS of action and superhero hi-jinks. There is still heroism, which is completely lacking from this. That's why legs are the biggest question at the moment. 

Heroism - some - bitter and mostly reluctant.  More suffering and death and stupidity (causing more suffering and death).

Loads of crowd pleasing action ( I found it monotonous and redundant after the first couple of scenes)  - so yeah different in that case.

Edited by TalismanRing