TMP

THE NORTHMAN | April 22, 2022 | Robert Eggers Joint | Alexander Skarsgard

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

It's time for Robert to be given the keys to a MCU film. Common, Feige. Let's get ambitious. This guy could potentially deliver the most stunning MCU film. 

What a sad line of thought. A director making weird little movies in his pocket of the world, finally gets 90million to do a Viking epic, and immediate instinct is to give him a MCU film as if that's the ultimate barometer of success. 

Yeah, when I first watched The Lighthouse all I could think about during the scene of Robert Pattinson jerking off to a mermaid was what this director could do with infinity stones

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah, when I first watched The Lighthouse all I could think about during the scene of Robert Pattinson jerking off to a mermaid was what this director could do with infinity stones

I was thinking that maybe he should have directed the Little Mermaid remake 🤔

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

It's time for Robert to be given the keys to a MCU film. Common, Feige. Let's get ambitious. This guy could potentially deliver the most stunning MCU film. 

No, they are all horrible movies. He is better off staying out of that universe. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 7:22 AM, Brainbug said:

In a better world, original films like this would get a proper marketing campaign to show the GA why this movie could be interesting for them and worth their money. In that world, filmmakers that want to make something new that is not based on any existing IP or brand name would get rewarded first by the studio and maybe later even by the audiences for the risk of making an original film.

However we live in a shit world where studios dump everything that isnt an established franchise and those filmmakers cry in the corner.

Could you imagine if Gladiator or Sixth Sense was released today.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Im really glad films like Gladiator or Troy were released in the early 2000s where the genre of historical epics seemed to have a much wider appeal than today. Im a real sucker for these kinds of movies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Im really glad films like Gladiator or Troy were released in the early 2000s where the genre of historical epics seemed to have a much wider appeal than today. Im a real sucker for these kinds of movies.

I've said it before I'll say it again, Christopher Nolan needs to make a historical epic like Gladiator, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven.

He's the only one who could make one of them make bank on his name alone, and could probably start a revival for the genre. Plus, he'd have a ball with filming in IMAX on a movie like that

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eddyxx said:

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I watched Gladiator again about 3 months ago and I actually think that one would still do well if it was released today, or at the very least not be a The Last Duel level bomb.  Its a historical epic yes, but at its heart its a great revenge story and there's also thematic and allegorical side of it that imho has only gotten better in the last 20 years(corrupt governments and media keeping the dumb masses distracted against their own interests through misdirection, entertainment, and spectacle).

I'll agree that I don't think others like The Patriot or Troy would do well at all today.  Nothing about those two would stand out enough in an IP dominated era to get enough traction.  I even think Braveheart would probably be a bomb today.  Movie theaters today are increasingly a thing for younger people and they don't really give a shit about history or period pieces, its uncool to them.  Its all about IP, animation, or raunchy comedies.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I watched Gladiator again about 3 months ago and I actually think that one would still do well if it was released today, or at the very least not be a The Last Duel level bomb.  Its a historical epic yes, but at its heart its a great revenge story and there's also thematic and allegorical side of it that imho has only gotten better in the last 20 years(corrupt governments and media keeping the dumb masses distracted against their own interests through misdirection, entertainment, and spectacle).

I'll agree that I don't think others like The Patriot or Troy would do well at all today.  Nothing about those two would stand out enough in an IP dominated era to get enough traction.  I even think Braveheart would probably be a bomb today.  Movie theaters today are increasingly a thing for younger people and they don't really give a shit about history or period pieces, its uncool to them.  Its all about IP, animation, or raunchy comedies.

What was the last "raunchy comedy" to actually make significant amounts of cash in theaters? Girls Trip? Horror is a much more commercially viable genre these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brainbug said:

GOd. I thought your movie memory was longer then that.

In the 50's and 60's Historical epics might have been the most popular genre, when you look at the reall big money makers.

"Quo Vadis""Spartacus" 'Ben Hur" "EL Cid" Cleopatra" "Dr Zhivago", etc. They regained some popularity in the 90's and early 2000's 

"Titanic" "GLadiator" etc but nothing like the dominance they had in the 50;s and 60's.

COme to think of it,the Kirk Douglas epic "The Vikings" was a big hit in 1958...

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

What was the last "raunchy comedy" to actually make significant amounts of cash in theaters? Girls Trip? Horror is a much more commercially viable genre these days.

Low budget Horror might be the only iron clad safe film investment around. If you keep the budget low enough, there is enough of a core audience that will show up so you can get your money back, and probably make a profit. If it can break through to the mods casual fan, you are looking at an incredible return on your investment.

3 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

I've said it before I'll say it again, Christopher Nolan needs to make a historical epic like Gladiator, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven.

He's the only one who could make one of them make bank on his name alone, and could probably start a revival for the genre. Plus, he'd have a ball with filming in IMAX on a movie like that

I would call Dunkirk a Historical epic. A bit ore recent then the ones you mention, but a historiacl film all the same.

He also did a  period piece in "The Prestige".

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I would call Dunkirk a Historical epic. A bit ore recent then the ones you mention, but a historiacl film all the same.

He also did a  period piece in "The Prestige".

I mean Medieval Historical epic. Ww2 movies are still doing fine

Edited by Pinacolada

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

GOd. I thought your movie memory was longer then that.

In the 50's and 60's Historical epics might have been the most popular genre, when you look at the reall big money makers.

"Quo Vadis""Spartacus" 'Ben Hur" "EL Cid" Cleopatra" "Dr Zhivago", etc. They regained some popularity in the 90's and early 2000's 

"Titanic" "GLadiator" etc but nothing like the dominance they had in the 50;s and 60's.

COme to think of it,the Kirk Douglas epic "The Vikings" was a big hit in 1958...

I didnt say that i dont like older histotical epics? I was referring to the short period in the 2000s where these types of movies were (again) very popular. For reference, Lawrence of Arabia and Ben Hur (59) are some of my favourite older movies.