Eric the Ape

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

I'm wondering what Tuesday will look like. We've seen the Tuesday impact on box office runs getting more dramatic this year than the past as moviegoers take advantage of the discount. 

With it falling on Christmas Eve, it will have less showings to take advantage. 

Last year where dates lined up like this was 2013, with Desolation of Smaug as the big holiday movie, but it was in its second weekend. It still had a 33% drop on Christmas eve. I think we'll see it drop less than that, maybe around 20%.

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think The Last Jedi's mixed audience reception and then the mixed reviews hurt it.

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The last jedi likely took 100 million we off solo and likely 200 million for this film 

Cinemascore

The Last Jedi: A
Solo: A Star Wars Story: A-

The Rise of Skywalker: B+

Metacritic: 

The Last Jedi: 85

Solo: A Star Wars Story: 62

The Rise of Skywalker: 54

Blaming TLJ for the failures of other movies is pretty dumb imo!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Cinemascore

Metacritic: 

Out of seven people, at least three said TLJ killed their interest in TROS. Sure, anecdotal evidence, but I really don’t think we were an enormous outlier.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Cinemascore

Metacritic: 

@The Panda well you said it very clear, its YOUR OPINOIN right? everybody here have a right to have own opinion....
so please don't call others PRETTY DUMB, if their opinions is different.....

Marek

Just now, Movie nerd said:

They "borrowed" quite a lot from Harry Potter, one key scene comes to mind for example. 

I myself loved HP so much, loved the books so much and the movies, i skipped a test at my university to go watch HP1 at the theaters at 10 am (first showing at my city). And even i am 40 right now, i want to do a Fawks tattoo in my leg where i got a really bad scar this year.

I myself welcome this new space wizards and witches, headcannon SW and HP are at the same universe lol

• Like 1

Just now, raniE said:

Out of seven people, at least three said TLJ killed their interest in TROS. Sure, anecdotal evidence, but I really don’t think we were an enormous outlier.

I’ve heard that from redditbros but then they’re the same people that haven’t stopped ranting about Star Wars for the last two years.  Doesn’t sound like their interest in SW was killed to me!

I’m sure audiences losing some interest in Star Wars had nothing to do with pushing out a movie every year.

I think I’ll trust the legitimate audience surveys on this one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, The Panda said:

No, you ignore the fans and make the Star Wars movie you want to make.  If they hate it, let them learn their life doesn’t end because didn’t like what somebody did with a Star Wars movie

Freaking THAT.

27 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It is hard to counter a lot of the hate on here. There’s a gang mentality that quickly builds and quickly crushes the spirit of the many that like the movie/love Star Wars. 

I respect everyone’s opinion but I’m really not convinced a select few of you do - storming in all 2019-like, to just mock and point and think you’re the be all and end all when it comes to declaring what a film is like - based on two huge days of box office. 

As a huge Star Wars fan, I remember the dark times of 1999-2005. 

Whilst appreciative there are a generation that love those movies, that wasn’t MY Star Wars. These new movies, whilst irrefutably full of problems, are infinitely better films than those prequels. 

Again, it’s my opinion - but I would genuinely love to go out for a beer with some of you and you try and convince me otherwise. 

They feel like MY Star Wars that I grew up with and love. 

Regardless, and like I’ve said before...the finales of both of the previous trilogies were not close to being the most successful films in history. Each of them were marketed and hyped as THE END OF STAR WARS. Revenge of the Sith was the one we’d all been waiting for - Anakin turning into Vader. 

Skywalker does not have that kind of hook. No spoilers but there are things that happen in it that could have been killer cliff hangers two years ago - probably resulting in a bigger weekend than we’re going to get announced in a few hours. The trilogy has got a weird mapping to it due to their ever changing ‘plan’ - we all know that. 

Everyone in the world that’s interested in Star Wars knows this isn’t the last movie. In 1983 and 2005 they all thought that was it. Done. 

The ST are flawed movies, but they all have been for four decades to varying degrees. None of them the debacle of the prequels in my opinion. 

I’m not knocking those that love Anakin’s romance with Padme, Jar Jar’s buffoonery in the battle of Naboo - good will to all of those. 

Star Wars has always had some that love stuff that others hate. Opinions, debates, joy, despair - always. 

Let’s just respect others and not go completely overboard. It’s doing good business and we’ll see how it plays out through the holidays. 

Be realistic and look at how the finales to Star Wars normally do. If this finishes a bit off TLJ then there are reasons for that which have everything to do with the structure of the overall trilogy - in my opinion. 

I just get frustrated that there’s better conversation to be had from lots of people here that’s getting drowned out by a few haters.  Feige this, and Feige that.  It’s insufferable.  My team is better than yours!

What’s the point in drowning out the constructive conversation like you’re in the schoolyard? It’s embarrassing. 

I've been staying away from this place due to the constant call for me to be banned for "concern trolling" (when it's all leaning that way anyway). But you nailed it! Nice post. It feels like there's a very large contingency that is rooting for this movie to fail and it's like their "campaign" has pretty much won. The "gang" mentality is real and powerful and TROS felt like SW through and through. People these days want edgy and dark and not good ol' fun that SW always provided.

The movie's looking like it may be a bit of a failure, causing a complete stop in SW films for a long time. As Padme says in ROTS (with a slight change of course) "This is how Star Wars ends! With thunderous applause!" But not the applause that we think. It's an applause for its failure.

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Cinemascore

Metacritic: 

We accept here that OW is based on hype right. A sequel to a movie is affected by the movie it is a sequel of. TLJ simply killed the hype of a large portion of the fan base. And Cinemascore always has been and always will be a trash way of measuring likes polling five theaters on opening day immediately after they step out of a movie is not scientific or random in the slightest. The only people who would respond are those with strong opinions and the people going that early are bound to be fans in the first place. And for a lot of people their views on a film change once it’s been given thought as well.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

We were all in agreement long before TLJ came out that not even die hard Star Wars fans wanted that Han Solo movie. That movie was bombing at the box office even if TLJ was hailed as a masterpiece. 

At the risk of going all "release the Snyder cut", I can't help but wonder what might have been had Lord and Miller been allowed to continue. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it would have made a billion, but it might have been different enough while retaining a familiar character in order to appeal to fans and new audiences alike. Not to mention, they wouldn't have had to shoot the damn thing twice, so the budget would have been manageable and it wouldn't have been such a black hole for Disney. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, a2k said:

Ok I didn't know that.

The Sat bump on 12th could be a bit more.

Wed drops may be lower instead of matching the Tue bump absolute number looking at TFA and TLJ.

yeah corrected that. the new number is $509mn Approx after $450mn January 1st weekend

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eEaG17pnLrg98zE84fWvvu_oVCucn0333xLm4QoxbEs/edit#gid=52946538

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

I've been staying away from this place due to the constant call for me to be banned for "concern trolling" (when it's all leaning that way anyway). But you nailed it! Nice post. It feels like there's a very large contingency that is rooting for this movie to fail and it's like their "campaign" has pretty much won. The "gang" mentality is real and powerful and TROS felt like SW through and through. People these days want edgy and dark and not good ol' fun that SW always provided.

The movie's looking like it may be a bit of a failure, causing a complete stop in SW films for a long time. As Padme says in ROTS (with a slight change of course) "This is how Star Wars ends! With thunderous applause!" But not the applause that we think. It's an applause for its failure.

As one of fans not happy but more or less triumphant over this movies performance allow me to explain my reasoning. I don’t like the direction the sequels took I don’t like their story I don’t like their original charectors ( save maybe Kylo and parts of Poe). I don’t want more of this especially after TLJ. There’s nothing to save here for me so the best situation would be this movie doing badly and then course correcting and improving the next Star Wars movie and the best chance for that is this movie not doing well. That’s my view going in, but this movie being terrible a complete mess and the choices this movie made only serve to reconfirm my opinion

Edited by boomboom234
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I’ve heard that from redditbros but then they’re the same people that haven’t stopped ranting about Star Wars for the last two years.  Doesn’t sound like their interest in SW was killed to me!

I’m sure audiences losing some interest in Star Wars had nothing to do with pushing out a movie every year.

I think I’ll trust the legitimate audience surveys on this one!

But aren't those surveys only American-viewer based? Similar to the verified audience score on Rotten Tomatoes? As ODEON, Vue etc tickets can't be used on that website, as I don't believe Fandango is available in the UK - let alone on that scale.

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

At the risk of going all "release the Snyder cut", I can't help but wonder what might have been had Lord and Miller been allowed to continue. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it would have made a billion, but it might have been different enough while retaining a familiar character in order to appeal to fans and new audiences alike. Not to mention, they wouldn't have had to shoot the damn thing twice, so the budget would have been manageable and it wouldn't have been such a black hole for Disney. 

I was actually gonna mention Lord&Miller in my post. A lot of us had some interest in that project because they were involved. The moment they were fired, all interest was lost and that’s really when it came a “but why” situation with that movie. 

Just now, Nova said:

I was actually gonna mention Lord&Miller in my post. A lot of us had some interest in that project because they were involved. The moment they were fired, all interest was lost and that’s really when it came a “but why” situation with that movie. 

And they won an Oscar for Into the Spider-Verse shortly after ~