98 Game Changers
99 For Sama
100 The Beach Bum

my guys made the top 100.😎

• Astonished 1

Spoiler

LITTLE WOMEN

little-women-movie-poster-1572520578.jpg

Missing write-up due to the submitter not responding, in lieu of the write-up here's a meme

USER REVIEWS:

Absolutely phenomenal, it’s a home run adaption at just about every level.  Wonderful on a technical level with weaving the past and present scenes together seamlessly.  My favorite shot of the year was the end of the beach scene, absolutely ripped my heart out and had me in tears.

It’s warm and effective at every level and does justice to its classic source material, showing that it can be just as resonant today without needing any modern updates or flairs. A+ @The Panda

Just as magical a second time. 

Timmy’s hair is so pretty in this. Like black cotton candy

@Eric Sionis

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Spoiler

MARRIAGE STORY

MV5BZGVmY2RjNDgtMTc3Yy00YmY0LTgwODItYzBj

from @YourMother the Edgelord

Driver and Johansson kill their roles, and Baumbach delivers a smart and striking script about a divorce that feels so real (as a child whose parents divorced at a young age, sees knows the feel of how the fast amicableness behind the divorce can completely fall apart as bitterness stirs) the and manages to deliver feelings of both haunting melancholy and stunning beauty. What’s not to love? Also the ending makes me cry

USER REVIEWS:

Phenomenal acting performances from Driver and Johansson (they would be my picks for best actor and actress at the moment), great dark humour that makes you feel bad for laughing at it and a very interesting use of aspect ratio that makes you feel claustrophobic being right there with all the characters in a way that is uncomfortable yet effective. 

A+ for me and in my top 5 of the year which is very high considering how great this year has been for film. 

@Jamiem

One of my favorite movies of the last few years. Almost every scene in this was dynamite and the balance of humor and drama was exquisite. As other posters have alluded to, the supporting cast deserve so much recognition, some of whom (Merritt Wever for example) only have one significant scene yet they make their brief appearance so memorable. The characterization was so rich, and while the two leads are not always the most likable individuals, their flaws and the alternative ways in which they deal with a tumultuous situation makes their relationship and its breakdown so compelling. Driver definitely gets the meatier material in the latter stages, but that doesn't necessarily mean the movie is siding with him. Johansson has a few moments towards the end which purely rely on her facial expressions to sell the emotion, and she nails every single one of them. I'm also a sucker for filmmakers creating a sense of authenticity within their films, so minor details during key sequences like Charlie struggling to open a cupboard and the front door when the evaluator is in his apartment, and him helping Henry pronounce certain words when reading Nicole's letter were things I really appreciated.
This is a rare beast of a film which is so heartbreaking but simultaneously very re-watchable.

@gadd

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

MARRIAGE STORY

MV5BZGVmY2RjNDgtMTc3Yy00YmY0LTgwODItYzBj

from @YourMother the Edgelord

Driver and Johansson kill their roles, and Baumbach delivers a smart and striking script about a divorce that feels so real (as a child whose parents divorced at a young age, sees knows the feel of how the fast amicableness behind the divorce can completely fall apart as bitterness stirs) the and manages to deliver feelings of both haunting melancholy and stunning beauty. What’s not to love? Also the ending makes me cry

USER REVIEWS:

Phenomenal acting performances from Driver and Johansson (they would be my picks for best actor and actress at the moment), great dark humour that makes you feel bad for laughing at it and a very interesting use of aspect ratio that makes you feel claustrophobic being right there with all the characters in a way that is uncomfortable yet effective. 

A+ for me and in my top 5 of the year which is very high considering how great this year has been for film. 

@Jamiem

One of my favorite movies of the last few years. Almost every scene in this was dynamite and the balance of humor and drama was exquisite. As other posters have alluded to, the supporting cast deserve so much recognition, some of whom (Merritt Wever for example) only have one significant scene yet they make their brief appearance so memorable. The characterization was so rich, and while the two leads are not always the most likable individuals, their flaws and the alternative ways in which they deal with a tumultuous situation makes their relationship and its breakdown so compelling. Driver definitely gets the meatier material in the latter stages, but that doesn't necessarily mean the movie is siding with him. Johansson has a few moments towards the end which purely rely on her facial expressions to sell the emotion, and she nails every single one of them. I'm also a sucker for filmmakers creating a sense of authenticity within their films, so minor details during key sequences like Charlie struggling to open a cupboard and the front door when the evaluator is in his apartment, and him helping Henry pronounce certain words when reading Nicole's letter were things I really appreciated.
This is a rare beast of a film which is so heartbreaking but simultaneously very re-watchable.

@gadd

Up there with Endgame, Toy Story 4 and Joker as one of the most overrated movies of the year.

amirite @Plain Old Tele ?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Spoiler

MV5BOTdmNTFjNDEtNzg0My00ZjkxLTg1ZDAtZTdk

From @Tower

There are several ways you can use to decide which film should be the best. If I were going by which film did the most things very well, I would have voted for Parasite. But I prefer answering the question: Which film this year gave me the best viewing experience? And my answer to that is 1917.

No other film this year kept me enthralled with every moment of every scene the way 1917 did. It’s not a complex film but in this type of film it’s much more important to get the viewer to care about the characters by the time the action comes around. And personally, the film nailed that part, achieved through a combination of the great acting from the two main characters, the screenplay, and yes, the “one shot gimmick”.

Because for this film the style works, giving you the feeling that you are in the trenches alongside the main characters. Part of this effect is achieved because you are following along with them at all times, and part of it is achieved because of what is not shown, which is anything our protagonist doesn’t know, forcing you to think like them

USER REVIEWS

Sam Mendes takes some big creative risks with his World War I drama 1917, and these risks pay off handsomely in an intense war film that succeeds in creating an exceptionally immersive experience for viewers. Unfolding as one unbroken shot in which the camera follows its leads through mundane and treacherous scenarios alike, 1917 keeps the tension running high throughout its running time and uses its visual gimmick to excellent effect. Though it is easy to occasionally slip into working to spot the hidden edits, the style enhances the urgency of the narrative and the intimacy the audience shares with the protagonists; as such, the sudden jolts in action carry greater weight and a more pronounced sense of dread because we – like Lance Corporals Blake and Schofield – have just a limited view of the action and peril that lie ahead. From a technical perspective, the film is a tremendous accomplishment: Roger Deakins’s cinematography is gorgeous as usual and moves carefully and precisely enough to sell the illusion of continuous movement much more often than not; the sound design is crisp and puts the directional capabilities of an Atmos sound mix to great use; and Mendes directs each element of each scene confidently and with a clear sense of each detail’s purpose, whether practical or profound. If there’s a knock to be made on the film, it’s that the story is a bit too simple to sustain the full two-hour running time, but Dean-Charles Chapman and George McKay carry the film with equal parts strength and grace. Chapman and McKay are both terrific in everyman parts, and they are each solid in smaller, affecting scenes that remind viewers of the humanity at the center of the conflict. As a survival tale set against the backdrop of a World War, 1917 does admittedly stand in Dunkirk’s shadow to some degree, but there’s so much mightily impressive dramatic material and technical mastery on display that it’s hard not to get swept up in the world and scenarios Mendes creates onscreen.

A-

@Webslinger

Thoroughly enjoyed my first viewing. So much that I plan to see it again...on IMAX. 

Loved the lead actors

Surprised at the early death

Very tense at times

Shoo-in for Oscar nominations, especially in the Sound department

@lilmac

• Like 13
  • Astonished 1

#51 to 80

51 Wild Rose
52 Blinded by the Light
53 Arctic
54 Just Mercy